Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 434388 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:19 am »

the applicarion wont start :C

What's your OS?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Jerkwhistle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »

Has anyone else been experiencing worldgen crashes when using perfectworld maps in the latest df version? Specifically, with ones generated using an imported bmp for the heightmap? I've had two different cases, one in which the map never gets past "placing lakes" before crashing and another in which it begins generating history at which point it seems to crash at a random year based on the seed. I can't wrap my head around it, and df is no help since it's crashing, not rejecting the world.

Also, to which side should I be setting the sliders if I want very low volcanism? I want to generate more sedimentary stone to increase the odds of finding sites with iron and coal, and I assumed that meant putting the volcanism sliders to the right ("tiles *above* this value will be igneous extrusive blah blah") but then I saw this and am second guessing myself:

With vulcanism at 100, you shouldn't find any sedementary rock layers which is where many important materials are found, like flux. If you do find sedementary rock at that setting, then just ignore me because I have no clue how it all works. :)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2011, 03:29:34 pm »

I get worldgen crashes with pw maps... but I also get worldgen crashes with non-PW maps.

I think the biggest reason you're getting more crashes is that when you have an imported height map (or temp map - poke poke ceph), the game doesn't reject it because it's not meeting some kind of criteria.  Rather, it uses the heights (or temps - AHEM) faithfully.  This might lead to some oddness, given that a height map may be something that DF would not ever create on it's own.  You could LITERALLY be breaking new ground with a height map.

Another problem is that PW was coded for an older version of DF.  There are certain things that are not exported, and DF goes crazy with it's defaults to fill the gaps.

Example: PerfectWorld does not export a Night Creature number.  So every world will be generated with a default number of Night Creatures, unless you tell it otherwise.  I didn't notice this until I genned a world in which all civs died, slaughtered by the 52 Night Creature Types that the game decided it wanted.

Other examples include Mineral Scarcity and Temperature Maps (ahem)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »

What's your OS?
windows XP
AND IT STILL KEPTIDH CRASHING!!!
I am a Goober.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:40 pm »

I've been generating a lot of worlds recently, trying very hard to get volcanoes on somewhat flat terrain, but I keep getting these hugely steep slopes (but no cliffs). What would you advise for the elevation/volcanism map to get flat terrain?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:46:08 pm by The Grim Sleeper »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

Low Erosion, turn off Periodically Erode Steep Slopes or whatever it is in the advanced options.

Also, look for mountain lakes.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »

Low Erosion, turn off Periodically Erode Steep Slopes or whatever it is in the advanced options.

Also, look for mountain lakes.
For what it's worth, I literally did the exact opposite to generate the map I'm using right now: really high erosion, steep slope erosion toggled on, then searched for volcanoes in lowlands, particularly next to rivers.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2011, 10:26:06 am »

What's your OS?
windows XP
AND IT STILL KEPTIDH CRASHING!!!
I need more info to help you on that. Are you getting an error message? Do you have the .NET framework 3.5 installed? On XP you might not have that, but you can get it through Windows Update.

I've been generating a lot of worlds recently, trying very hard to get volcanoes on somewhat flat terrain, but I keep getting these hugely steep slopes (but no cliffs). What would you advise for the elevation/volcanism map to get flat terrain?

At some version of DF, the vast majority of the volcanos tend to push up a small mountain. I have seen flat volcanos, but usually it causes an altitude spike in various degrees. Sometimes extending out a tile or two.

(or temp map - poke poke ceph)...(or temps - AHEM) ... Temperature Maps (ahem)

Heheh, I can't remember if you were involved in the previous discussion on this thread regarding temp maps, but the main reason I didn't sink my precious free time into that is because you can't control, nor turn off, the poles. The control you get from a custom temp map is almost non-existent, and this is an area that can cause problems with the game, with people melting and stuff. My thinking is that it would cause more problems than it solves.

If you can get Toady to include a world gen option to turn off the temperature gradient so I can experiment without interference, I will definately do some stuff with a temperature map. It would definately be cool to make it a function of altitude or perhaps a polar map with the north pole in the center. Even a designated 'melting zone' might be fun for some mods as long as its predictable and controllable.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2011, 11:03:38 am »

Also, to which side should I be setting the sliders if I want very low volcanism? I want to generate more sedimentary stone to increase the odds of finding sites with iron and coal, and I assumed that meant putting the volcanism sliders to the right ("tiles *above* this value will be igneous extrusive blah blah") but then I saw this and am second guessing myself:

Get rid of the black and red stuff and you should be ok.

My latest forts:

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:42 am »

With the new version of DF, how are we going to use this?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 19, 2011, 03:41:03 am »

it's unlikely anything would change.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:27 am »

With the new version of DF, how are we going to use this?

For now, you have to add any new world gen tags by hand. I'm going to make a new version pretty soon, but right now I'm in the middle of a gigantic fort project.

My latest forts:

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »

Sounds awesome Ceph. I'd actually like to see your fort :D By the way what would I do to add the tags?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »

you need to go into the worldgen file manually and put them in by hand, look at the other sizes similar to the world your creating and copy over any missing tags ... i have no idea if the order their in matters or not but i would try to respect it knowing how finicky computers are =)

anyway good luck sadron

and thanks a ton cephalo i was fiddling with getting biomes to feel like i wanted and perfectworld did the trick, was not to hard to learn at all =) makes me glad i did not format to linux LOL
I voted for BANANA!

santheocles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

The only new tags in world_gen.txt are [MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500] (after volcanism frequency) and [NIGHT_CREATURE_NUMBER:52] (after demon number). At least those are the only ones in Large Region-Type maps; the values are also taken from those.

The defaults chosen by the game if those tags are missing can produce some strange results...

I've seen several complaints about 2500 being too high for enjoyable mining; so you could edit that a bit. 1000 is supposed to be quite nice, 100 will drown you in ores and gems, if I understood that correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54