Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 434694 times)

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.5
« Reply #450 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »

Are you are using the XmlValidatingReader class and catching the XmlSchemaException that is thrown when the file doesn't match the schema? It will throw a regular XmlException if the file isn't well formed.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:32 am »

Are you are using the XmlValidatingReader class and catching the XmlSchemaException that is thrown when the file doesn't match the schema? It will throw a regular XmlException if the file isn't well formed.

Pretty much, although the XmlValidatingReader functionality is now wrapped into the XmlReader. But basically I'm handling one and not the other. It's an easy fix. Thanks for catching that BTW, I didn't think anyone would be messing with the xml until next DF version. :)

EDIT: Ok, I fixed it. I'm going to wait a few days to see if any more bugs pop up, and then release 1.6.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:43:24 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:34 am »

Another question:

I'm using your 'suggested default' values for volcanism in sedimentary layers. I keep getting infinite worldgen rejections due to not enough volcanos. I'm on a large world, and I only have 50 volcanoes set. There are PLENTY of 1.0 point spots on the map, but when I go to generate, I see no volcanoes. What gives?

I'd love to upload the save file, but the dffd doesn't allow save files from your utility, alas. So I have uploaded the map ini file instead. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4795

Edit: Tried to fix it by placing a 'reasonable' number of point volcanoes using your paint tool. No luck. Used the large brush to paint an unreasonable number. Got the following error.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Exception: ColorHelper.GetNormalizedValue value greater than max
   at PerfectWorldDF.ColorHelper.GetNormalizedValue(Double value, Double min, Double max)
   at PerfectWorldDF.VolcanismMap.DrawTile(Int32 x, Int32 y)
   at PerfectWorldDF.VolcanismMap.DrawEdit(Rectangle rect)
   at PerfectWorldDF.Form1.picBoxVolcMap_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3607 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PerfectWorldDF
    Assembly Version: 1.4.3935.31281
    Win32 Version: 1.4.3935.31281
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Vanilla%20DF%20Plus%2031.25.2011.07.06/PerfectWorldDF_1_4/PerfectWorldDF.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:20:07 am by lastofthelight »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 07, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »

Are you using a map size less than 257x257? If so there is a complication with trying to get volcanos next to sedement. For certain complicated reasons, in most cases it is better to generate maps on a high res map and shrink it down to the size you want. That is a technique I use in PWDF to provide uniformity across different sized maps. Generating on small maps directly gives very different results and requires alot of special case handling.

In this case however it makes things more difficult, as you are trying to create 1x1 spikes of volcanism. The problem is, when you do this on a high res map, and then shrink that map, these spikes get smoothed away. So the instructions I gave are easy on a 257x257 map because its what you see on the screen, but for a smaller map, your volcano 'dots' need to be bigger. Its quite a bit harder to control in that case.

As for the bug, dang it never happens to me so I haven't been able to fix it. It should be impossible to get such an error... but obviously it is possible.  ::)

My latest forts:

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:48 am »

Is it possible to somehow create deep chasms going all the way down to the magma sea with this utility? I care more for my embark spot than the world itself :p.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »

Is it possible to somehow create deep chasms going all the way down to the magma sea with this utility? I care more for my embark spot than the world itself :p.

there might be some world gen params that can get close to that, but you don't need this utility for those. Check the wiki for more details regarding 'advanced world generation'.

My latest forts:

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2011, 10:26:58 am »

there might be some world gen params that can get close to that, but you don't need this utility for those. Check the wiki for more details regarding 'advanced world generation'.

Really? I thought I did... what I want is the old "bottomless pit" or "bottomless chasm" features from DF.40 =) I need to check it out.

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:02 am »

This app thinks that the max end year is 2500, while the actual game accepts up to 10000.

Notwithstanding, kudos to the creators.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 06, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »

This app thinks that the max end year is 2500, while the actual game accepts up to 10000.

Notwithstanding, kudos to the creators.

If you prefer, you can change that in the XML file that comes with the app. It's probably some cut and paste error on my part.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:27:35 pm by cephalo »

My latest forts:

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »

Sweet, this is an awesome utility. I've already used it now, and I love the worlds you can create with it.

And for some off-topic-ness: nice CIV4 map script too.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:03 am »

Thanks drakon136!

I have just posted version 1.6 which fixes the bug with the XML checker.

My latest forts:

BrosephStalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.6
« Reply #461 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:29 pm »

I love this utility but I cannot for the life of me get my maps exported to Dwarf Fortress.
I'm using the North America map somebody on here made, and then I go to file>Export worldgen file
I load up DF, and go to design new world with advanced parameters, but the file doesn't appear as any of the options. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, can anyone offer some insight?

If it helps, I'm using Lazy Newb Pack.

Thanks

EDIT: Disregard that, I figured out how to enter it into the DF files directly
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:06:56 am by BrosephStalin »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 26, 2011, 03:36:32 pm »

The manual is a bit old, but still explains the work flow of the app.

My latest forts:

Demiurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:08 am »

I'm having trouble with repeated world rejections when using the genesis mod. Its weird because I've had worlds generate successfully before with this mod and according to this utility its supposed to ignore every rejection set. Its rejecting immediatly after forming lakes.

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »

Its still possible to get rejections with this. My most common rejections are when I mess with min volcanoes, good/evil square counts, or don't have enough regions that civilizations can be placed in (too much savagery usually).

If you enable world rejection logging [LOG_MAP_REJECTS:YES] in the init file df will put the reasons for the rejections in map_rejection_log.txt and we can tell you what is actually going wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 54