Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: On the Use of Dragons: The Raising of Beasts  (Read 5052 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
On the Use of Dragons: The Raising of Beasts
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 11:24:11 pm »

Dragons, creatures of majestic destruction, able to breathe fire. They are as old as the world itself, known throughout history. Dragons and humans do not have a good relationship on the long run, but every now and then, certain individuals bond...
-The Bestiary of Animals, Chapter 3

William

Beekeeping was a simple enough life, all you really had to do was make sure the bees had a home and that you got some honey without being stung too much. While it did keep William fed, he didn't find it very entertaining. No, he found how the bees got the honey in the first place entertaining. He would follow the bees and see them go to the various plants and harvest. It was like farming actually.

As another day of work was done, William returned to his hut to rest. His sisters and mother would surely have cooked up something by now...As he entered the door, he heard the sounds of horses down the road. He looked towards them. Knights. William couldn't tell if it was the baron's or another's...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vladimir Boleslaw

Kiev had seen better days, that was true. Still, life was better than in some backwater away from Kiev, that was even more true. Here Vladimir could focus on his art and make a fortune out of it. Right now Vladimir was working on another cathedral and it to properly show its beauty, it would need glass. A huge amount of glass. It would need to arrive fast, and be put together fast, which was one of the reasons Vladimir was working on-site. Oh it was cold yes, but at least he didn't have to deal with the glass breaking on the way...He could never trust those teamsters.

As work on the cathedral finished for the day, Valdimir started putting away his tools, and returning to his home. As he did however, he saw two men enter the cathedral. The cathedral was barely usable right now, and besides, no one had been given permission to enter. What reason could they have to enter?

Albrecht McFinod

The sea could be gentle and calm; or cruel and unruly. She could be generous and yet she could be greedy. Sometimes she murdered, other times she gave life. She was a strange woman, one who saw little difference between a human and a fish. But Albrecht loved her even so. He was a seaman, not some farmer or merchant; the sea was almost human compared to the earth. It had emotion. And today the sea was in a foul mood. The skies were dark and it rained heavily. the waves were huge and constant, and yet Albrecht had decided to fish today. A storm was terrible yes, but he needed something to sell today and no one had ever called McFinod a cautious man.

As he navigated the boat, lightning struck just a few metres aside him! That was close...MicFinod released his pole and waited. Suddenly, something bit. Something big.

Markus Ferroniad

Learning was and is your passion, your life, and probably your death. It was a wonder to learn about how this world worked, how the animals lived and breathed and how man-made constructions could work. You attended the University of Bologna, made just a decade ago and the first of its kind in a many a year. Recently you've been busy trying to prove that the stars were the same thing as the sun, just smaller. Course you had little evidence for that...

Right now you were walking down the market district, looking at the wares. You see a many beast here: horses, dogs, pigs, little tailed creatures, and even a dragon. A dragon about to be killed and butchered, but a dragon. You walk on. Why were you here again? Ah right, you were looking for materials for your next experiment.

Syrius Serpentus

Alchemy was a wondrous art, one could create great weapons and riches! Or at least thats what everyone's been trying to do. Oh the weaponry was easy enough, but gold was a hard, hard thing to make. Some alchemists had spent their whole lives trying to make gold, you on the other hand went the easy way of making weaponry. It was good money too; the Empire always needed their precious Fire to fight off the heathens, recently they've been requesting a lot more than usual. Well he wouldn't have blamed them, the Sarceans had been attacking more frequently and in greater number. the Turkish aerial forces were simply too much to bear...

As Syrius was making another batch, the door barged open. "Syrius I believe? The Hoplitarchēs has need of you." What did he want now?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Took way longer than I thought.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: On the Use of Dragons: The Raising of Beasts
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »

I stop and take a look at the dragon and ask whats it for. Perhaps they might be willing to give me some leftovers or something
It's FEF, not FEOF

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 11:31:03 pm »

I watch the knights go past and try to hear what they're saying, if anything.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:03 pm »

Vladimir had never been accused of being particularly dogmatic, but he considered himself to be pious in his own way. He certainly wouldn't stand idly by while vandals desecrate a Church, even one that has yet to be sanctified! Although in all likelihood, it was merely some noble inspecting the progress of construction.

Nevertheless, Vladimir decides to cautiously investigate.

Noodlerex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 01:25:05 am »

Is there a waitlist? if so
Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:02:30 am »

The Hoplitarchēs?
Tsk. Put a man in charge of an army and he thinks he can order everyone around.
Well, this batch would have to [CENSORED] before being [CENSORED] and the [CENSORED] being [CENSORED] in the [CENSORED] hippopotamus [CENSORED].
So he had some time to speak with his highness the Hoplitarchēs.
Though he had half a mind to point out the difference between a war alchemist and a member of the infantry.
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:19 am »

A hundred half remembered sailors tales floated thourgh Albrechts-Sea Serpents, Leviathians, Krakens, Mermaids...hadn't he come out here today, challenging the sea to show him something amazing? If so, she was about to deliver.

He grinned. Maybe today he would finally meet one-the Sea would finally show him a wonder he had knew had always existed...and he was going to see it...even if it killed him.

The thunder boomed overhead. He took a firm hold, and began the laborious method of the catch...

Action: Reel in!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »

Could you put me on the waiting list?

Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »

William

William sat down, by the door. He must look unsuspicious, after all. He put his head down and waited for the travellers to come near. They pass by swiftly, without giving a care about you or your apiary. You hear something about an attack, but who would attack Baron Amsdane? He didn't get anyone angry at all he was loyal too. But then again, the ways of politics and intrigue were not William's responsibilities; he was a freeman, not some noble...But an attack wouldn't be good for him at all...

Vladimir Boleslaw

While Vladimir rationalised that they were but nobles looking on at their investment, he still found it odd. Why didn't they come during the day? It was practically night, and it was chilly. It seemed suspicious. He followed their movements, making sure that he was quiet. As he crept nearby, Vladimir could make out the two men. One was tall, clean, and well he didn't look like a local. He looked like those Greeks down south...Well that wasn't too odd, the Greeks came up hear to trade and do some diplomacy every now and then. But the other man...He didn't look...right. He was short and limping as he walked. And he had no beard. What self-respecting Kievian(?) would shave his beard? You tried to get closer, but then you foolishly pushed a plank onto the floor. That noise resonated, at least in your mind, and the moment seemed to last forever. Fortunately, the two barely notice. You can see them talking about something and gesturing at specific parts of the cathedral, but you don't understand at all...Need to get nearer.

Albrecht McFinod

With the thunder booming and the waves as they were, the sea was being hard today. Fortunately, McFinod was a hard man. His catch was hard as well, whatever it was it wasn't just a fish. It was far too strong to be just a fish. MicFinod stepped back, and pulled. the pole didn't budge, and the creatures didn't let go. And so the struggle went on for some time. It was dramatic; the rain and the salty smell of the sea and the outline of the beast coming ever nearer. And nearer. It was huge, far larger than the boat and bigger than any ship Albrecht had seen. And then, he saw the maw of the beast, teeth sharp and deadly. It rose up from the depths, and pulled the pole away from the fisherman. It was like a serpent of tall tales; but scarred and hideous. It's skin looked rotten and it gave of a foul stench. It's face too was disgusting, bone was showing and it's eyes, by God, it's eyes! McFinod felt something not completely water down his pants.

Markus Ferroniad

Maybe a few pieces from that dragon would be useful? Maybe. Markus heads back to that merchant-butcher and asked him what the dragon was for. " Oh, ah, the bishop's men went out hunting in the hills, found a dragon's lair. Found this youngin' here. I bought the dragon of them. They say a dragon's flesh can make you stronger than any man and that their blood is poison! I don't believe that, but there are a lot of people who do."

Your not sure why he told you the last bit, but you guess he thinks your too smart for believing in those things, right? You notice that the dragon looks as if he hasn't been fed in days.

Syrius Serpentus

You never understood how a hoplitarchēs got to control you...Perhaps someone was being lazy with the papers and assigned you here? Wait...Couldn't you just quit? No, they'd kill you. Nevermind. Well that doesn't matter now, time to meet with the bastard himself.

You left your workshop and headed to the hoplitarchēs' manor. Why did he get a manor anyway? He should be sleeping in some tent fighting in the field, not resting here! You enter his manor-with marble and silk and all this gold-and are soon greeted by a house slave. He leafs you to Ionnos (hoplitarchēs) who is currently tending to his little garden. He turns towards you and waits. Ah right, the bowing. Well you bow-not with any real respect-and do the mandatory greeting.

He gestures you to a chair and then speaks. "Ah Syrius, good to see you. A drink?" he offers you a cup. Wine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »

Vladimir considered his situation. On the one hand, these men almost certainly shouldn't be here, and it would be most prudent to find some guards or perhaps a group of teamsters. On the other hand, leaving now probably means never discovering the true purpose of the strangers' visit, and if Vladimir has one fault, it is a surfeit of curiosity.

Vladimir tries to sneak close enough to overhear their conversation.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:02:42 pm by monk12 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:37 pm »

Albrecht fought the fear-to an extent. This was no wonder! It was a horror. Something from the lightless depths perhaps...

He has an odd thought. It was playing. It could have pulled the rod away at any time, but it had toyed with him-giving a few meager tugs to let him think he had a chance. But there was no chance. He kept no weapons on board, naturally-but what use would they have been against this monster? It was big enough to swallow his boat whole!There was no escape-a mere slap of it's tail would demolish the boat and send him into the water...

A man like himself would hardly make a morsel for it, which begged the question why it was bothering him. The best dipped low and he saw the moist tunnel of it's throat spreading into blackness. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up, as he imagined what awaited him at the end.

He gulped, and spoke in a voice tinged with despair, madness-and a bit of pride.

"Stop these games, sea monster, If you can understand me! I am Albrecht Mcfinod, the best fisherman on this coast! You may eat me whole, but I will die with pride!"

He picked up an oar and held it at a batting angle toward the beast- a laughable defense. And he did laugh.

Action: Wait to see what the monster will do.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:48 pm »

Albrecht fought the fear-to an extent. This was no wonder! It was a horror. Something from the lightless depths perhaps...

He has an odd thought. It was playing. It could have pulled the rod away at any time, but it had toyed with him-giving a few meager tugs to let him think he had a chance. But there was no chance. He kept no weapons on board, naturally-but what use would they have been against this monster? It was big enough to swallow his boat whole!There was no escape-a mere slap of it's tail would demolish the boat and send him into the water...

A man like himself would hardly make a morsel for it, which begged the question why it was bothering him. The best dipped low and he saw the moist tunnel of it's throat spreading into blackness. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up, as he imagined what awaited him at the end.

He gulped, and spoke in a voice tinged with despair, madness-and a bit of pride.

"Stop these games, sea monster, If you can understand me! I am Albrecht Mcfinod, the best fisherman on this coast! You may eat me whole, but I will die with pride!"

He picked up an oar and held it at a batting angle toward the beast- a laughable defense. And he did laugh.

Action: Wait to see what the monster will do.

Awesome- well played.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 10:54:35 pm »

Follow them and try to discover where they are from.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »

(How much are gold coins worth in this setting?)
It's FEF, not FEOF

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:57 pm »

((Enough to buy a pair of chickens.))
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5