Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Cthulhu Makes a Game  (Read 11607 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Makes a Game
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 09:44:09 pm »

I noticed it, but it never occurred to me why it was doing it, and I never really wondered.
Shoes...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »

I'd noticed it, but, like Cthulhu, never really wondered/thought about it. Very cool though :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

I've got a secret idea for something that will make the game more interesting.  I'm not going to say any more though, I tend to ruin surprises because I can't keep my mouth shut.

Also, opinions.  Right now when the player attacks, a sword stabs out in the direction he's facing, but it's not actually attached to him.  I could probably also make it so he actually swings his sword, but that will be more complicated, and I may have issues with enemies bumping into him while he swings and dying (Since it'll be one object, if they walk into him while he swings they'll be colliding, and it will probably kill them unless I figure something out)

The current option is simpler, but the other one looks a lot better, I'm not sure which I should go with.

Hmmm....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:01:26 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 12:39:54 pm »

If you have it as one object, you can set it so he doesn't take damage during collisions when his sprite is the attack sprite. You could also make the sprite animate as swinging a sword, and create an invisible hitbox object, best of both.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

Yeah, that's a good idea.  The problem though is I'm horrible at spriting, and the in-game spiriting tool doesn't scale up well.  I'd rather do 16x16 sprites and just scale them up to 32x32, but it smudges and distorts them.

Here's a screenshot, so you can see what's going on.

That's an object testing room, where I toss stuff to make sure it works.  The bubbles at the top are the player's health.  Note that while the 16x16 sprites for items are passable (Dare I say... decent?) the 32x32 sprite for Budgetsoft is lame.

EDIT:  Altering Budgetsoft's sprites.  He is now shirtless and resembles Malibu from American Gladiator.  It's an improvement.

Damn it damn it damn it being bad at spriting makes things hard.  I can't figure out how to sprite budgetsoft in a way that allows him to swing the sword a full 32 pixels without it looking bizarre.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:41:42 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Makes a Game - Game Maker
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »

I'm compiling a color-coded list of things to do.  The player can move, change face, take damage, and heal damage.  That's it.

EDIT:  Oh, and he can die.

On movement:  Should pressing a movement key change his facing and then move him, or should it always move him?  Changing his facing would allow you to face a monster without running into it, but it's kind of annoying to press the key twice when you want to start moving in a different direction.

there is nothing more awesome than speeding up and slowing down!
Acceleration... is not hard.(unless you're making a tile-based game : P)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »

We already got movement figured out, I'm worried about how I'm going to draw this guy in a way that's functional without looking completely awful.
Shoes...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

Maybe The Gimp or Photoshop could help (don't ask me why the fuck somebody would want to name their program The Gimp)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »

We already got movement figured out, I'm worried about how I'm going to draw this guy in a way that's functional without looking completely awful.
that doesn't mean you can't have acceleration >.<

And do you mean the solution from the first zelda, or a link to the past?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:13:54 pm by eerr »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »

(don't ask me why the fuck somebody would want to name their program The Gimp)
Huh? It's called GIMP, all caps and there is no The in front.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »

that doesn't mean you can't have acceleration >.<

And do you mean the solution from the first zelda, or a link to the past?

He will move at one speed.

Damn, maybe I should just start looking for someone who can do pixel art.  How can arranging 256 pixels in a way that resembles a human being be so difficult?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:18:36 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 04:22:43 pm »

You know Cthulhu, I was offering to do just that sort of thing for you peeps yesterday. I just have to do my turn of SEV first, then I'll come back and see if you've responded.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »

For ease, you could grab some old Pokemon overworld sprites and just lightly edit them. Or any other RPG game with overworld sprites, I guess.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 04:29:11 pm »

I know a friend who might help you. No promises though.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »

I could help with the spriting, if you need any help that is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11