Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing stone clusters  (Read 1260 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing stone clusters
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

I was thinking of modding my game so microcline and other colored stones no longer appear. Does a mod like that already exist? What about gems and ores, what clusters can I remove without say, accidentally removing diamonds and rubies from the game?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing stone clusters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:54:55 am »

According to wiki, the high value Gems exists in Kimberlite, Bauxite, Granite, Marble & Schist.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:16:35 am »

Also if you want to keep the geology as it is but without "funky walls", just change the stones' color to a dull gray.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:56:27 am »

Well alunite clusters aren't exclusive to gray rock in my experience. I'd much prefer to just remove them entirely wherever possible

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:22:39 am »

If you want to make sure you won't remove anything valuable, just look for other occurrences of the word "alunite" or whatever in the raws.

It doesn't look like anything occurs in microcline or alunite specifically, valuable or otherwise.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »

I suggest changing all stone colors to dull gray as well.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 02:04:21 pm »

Alunite should be processable into Alum (heat is all thats needed, so a smelter reaction makes sense for now, eventually it might be done at the Ashery), Alum was historically used to make dye and as deodorant but as the current raws don't really allow for any sensible way to make a dye from multiple ingredients their wouldn't be any use for Alum other then export.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:35 am »

If a cluster contains, say, diamonds, would reducing it's size to absolutely tiny allow me to import said gems without having to see much of it in the game? I don't really care if I find gems since I don't like excavating in general. Well, some gems sure for moods but I've yet to see rubies or anything and I don't think they're worth looking for

Not entirely sure how I'd do this though

Hmm, why isn't jet classed as a gemstone?

Damn, the shitty search function of notepad made me remove several veins in which platinum occurs. There's got the be a better way to do this. Anyway, how will this affect dwarves that like microcline? Will those likes simply be redirected at something else?

Aaand just about everything is now olivine or magnetite. The rest consists of gems.  I really should have seen it coming
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:36:12 am by Pilsu »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:23 am »

Well, I took some care trying to remove only the clusters that don't bear gems or have stones in them that do but diamonds still disappeared. That was a waste of time

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:56:46 am »

Well, I took some care trying to remove only the clusters that don't bear gems or have stones in them that do but diamonds still disappeared. That was a waste of time

Diamonds are only in Kimberlite, but Kimberlite is only in other stuff....  You can also change what gems are in what... (make everything available in tiny clusters in granite:))

If a cluster contains, say, diamonds, would reducing it's size to absolutely tiny allow me to import said gems without having to see much of it in the game? I don't really care if I find gems since I don't like excavating in general.
I don't really care if I find gems since I don't like excavating in general.
I don't really care if I find gems
I don't like excavating in general.

WTF?  This is a game about dwarfs, isn't it?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:23:59 pm »

Anyway, how will this affect dwarves that like microcline? Will those likes simply be redirected at something else?

Dwarves can only prefer things that exist (and pearl/coral/horn, but we don't like to talk about those.)

Incidentally, you'll get really strange consequences if you remove an item from the raws and then play a game in a world that was generated before it was removed. Basically, all your other stone definitions are shifted back one slot (and the last slot no longer has a definition). This doesn't happen if you generate a new world like you're supposed to. Adding an entry to the raws doesn't have this problem (as long as it's added to the end, not the middle) since the old world simply won't ever reference the new entry.

You did generate a new world after making these changes... right?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:28:25 pm by Random832 »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:27:58 pm »

Obviously. I figured gypsum clusters would turn into tentacle demons or something if I tried an old fort

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

One question remains: could I turn clusters into veins instead?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 09:59:43 pm »

Incidentally, you'll get really strange consequences if you remove an item from the raws and then play a game in a world that was generated before it was removed. Basically, all your other stone definitions are shifted back one slot (and the last slot no longer has a definition). This doesn't happen if you generate a new world like you're supposed to. Adding an entry to the raws doesn't have this problem (as long as it's added to the end, not the middle) since the old world simply won't ever reference the new entry.
What?
The only times I ever tried to add/remove without generating a new world, it popped up errors on load and then exited.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 11:30:44 pm »

The only times I ever tried to add/remove without generating a new world, it popped up errors on load and then exited.

I still stand by my belief that this will not happen until you load a map that had the last kind of stone on it (or have dwarves that like that stone, or anything else referencing it). And, I know I've heard of people adding smelter reactions and not having any consequence worse than the new reaction not being usable.

But, yeah, if it's actually not in the raws, dwarves can't like it, other than broken things like pearl. The reason I thought you might not have generated a new world was that you seemed to be talking as if you had dwarves that already like microcline.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:33:27 pm by Random832 »