Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeast help  (Read 1284 times)

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeast help
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:15:49 pm »

Is there anyway to make the mega beasts live past the history making section of world gen?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:34:27 pm »

Many, many ways. Giving them more detailed bodies (with lots of bony plates to take damage rather than vital organs), giving them larger size/damblock, and stopping world gen earlier will all help.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:01:36 pm »

Not to mention giving them monstrous attacks and abilities like [NOSTUCKINS] and [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:17 pm »

Forgive me for my ignorance but how would I go about doing such changes to their information?

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:12 am »

dwarf fort folder--> raw--> objects--> open "creature_standard.txt"

Then start slapping on tags. Start with [DAMBLOCK:100].  That always helps my dragons live a few extra centuries.  (Just remember to remove it after world gen)

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:42:40 am »

I thought MegaBeasts always survive World-Gen, becouse they can't not. There to powerfull to become extinct arent they?
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:24:10 am »

they can't reproduce, and unfortunately, no matter how strong you are, if you can't make a second generation then your bound to die off.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:19:14 am »

Many, many ways. Giving them more detailed bodies (with lots of bony plates to take damage rather than vital organs), giving them larger size/damblock, and stopping world gen earlier will all help.

And by "bony plates" you mean "useless fleshy protuberances," because that's pretty much all you can do in the current version.  Next version, though...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »

What I have done in my game is to mod it so that quite a few of my megabeasts have the [POWER] tag, and that a lot of my modded civs are open to worshipping them. This means that tons of megabeasts become leaders for civilizations, and thus survive past worldgen almost 100% of the time, while this is changing how megabeasts run quite a bit, it does sort of make sense that in a mostly pagan world, with swiftly shifting religions, megabeasts could easily climb to the top of the heap if they had the smallest amount of intelligence.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

What I have done in my game is to mod it so that quite a few of my megabeasts have the [POWER] tag, and that a lot of my modded civs are open to worshipping them. This means that tons of megabeasts become leaders for civilizations, and thus survive past worldgen almost 100% of the time, while this is changing how megabeasts run quite a bit, it does sort of make sense that in a mostly pagan world, with swiftly shifting religions, megabeasts could easily climb to the top of the heap if they had the smallest amount of intelligence.
:o
That.  Is.  BRILLIANT!!! *thumbs up*
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:14 pm »

The easiest way is probably to multiply their sizes by 10.  That seems to let 'em survive fairly well.

You'll probably want to change it back to something reasonable, once your world is generated.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.