Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3535669 times)

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10965 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:52 am »

Toady, since now soldiers will become attached to their weapons, will tthey be willing to give up their, say, Copper War Hammer for an Iron one? Or a *Steel War Hammer*? Or maybe a masterful adamantine one?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: January 24, 2010, 02:22:57 am »

Toady, since now soldiers will become attached to their weapons, will tthey be willing to give up their, say, Copper War Hammer for an Iron one? Or a *Steel War Hammer*? Or maybe a masterful adamantine one?

It depends but generally the answer is Yes they will get attached to their weapons and they may refuse upgrades or they may not. (they probably can be forced or have some sense of "Ok my weapon is horrible compared to that" but everything in this bubble is what I don't know)

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: January 24, 2010, 02:49:16 am »

If it becomes a problem you can always deactivate them and dump their weapon into a magma pit. Or just forbid it, if you're boring.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: January 24, 2010, 02:51:53 am »

Id say that a Dwarf should be able to refuse some forbids on his/her/it personal objects

But it is a lot like the Cheats in The Sims 2 and 3... they are also there incase the game breaks down.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: January 24, 2010, 02:54:29 am »

Id say that a Dwarf should be able to refuse some forbids on his/her/it personal objects

But it is a lot like the Cheats in The Sims 2 and 3... they are also there incase the game breaks down.
Since when are cheats for when the game breaks down? If a game breaks because you don't use cheats, there's a problem.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:44 am »

I agree with Untelligent, building stairs down is the quickest and easiest solution to this issue, and within my idea of the abilities of dwarven masons too.

Even if you insist on rope ladders I don't believe they should have to restrict the types of creatures that can use them in this release, if Toady wants to hold off adding that in until it won't cause pathfinding issues that would be fine by me.
How are your dwarves going to place them though? The tile they are standing on is already filled with a down-stair and it's not north east south or west from them.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: January 24, 2010, 02:59:09 am »

Since when are cheats for when the game breaks down? If a game breaks because you don't use cheats, there's a problem

To be more specifically... Forbidding something to make a dwarf drop it when they wouldn't otherwise is cheating and Id rather the cheat go away... Except that this cheat also comes in handy when one of the many bugs comes into play.

Just like The Sims 2 (and 3) where the cheats are often more used to stop horrible bugs, and unlock content annoyingly, then to actually cheat.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: January 24, 2010, 03:08:05 am »

Yeah, they're useful when a game glitches out or otherwise screws you over.

Example: Using the Morrowind console to move yourself a bit after you get stuck in a wall (there's a specific command for this kind of situation), or to fix your attributes if something bugs out and messes them up.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: January 24, 2010, 03:39:05 am »

Well i say they keep the old hammer as some sort of nostalgic object. As in:

"Look my son this is the great hammer of banning with which i killed that big ol troll. But nowadays we have this new iron-warhammers so old ban-Ham can rest in peace."
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:06 am »

Well, you've got to realise that Humans (as in, real life humans, ie, us, except for Cobalt) do the exact same thing - We resist change. For example, in any information system implementation, you will get friction from people who think that the old system works just fine. It's extensively covered by the theory taught at high-school level.

So I don't think it's too unreasonable for dorfs to not give up their primitive whacking sticks in favour of brand new adamantite swords, decorated with engravings of Urist McLeader and rings of cat fur, just because there are a large group of somehow-allied megabeasts heading towards the fortress. I mean, these whacking sticks have been proven in combat! One soldier managed to kill a the other day, and he only suffered a mangled spleen and seven broken toes!

Besides, dofs are dumb.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: January 24, 2010, 06:40:57 am »

Why are their large white patches on the world during world gen?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: January 24, 2010, 07:28:46 am »

IT HAS BEEN UPDATED.

I just noticed (a day late) that he's almost finished! Damn... I hope it takes him a week to finish or I'm going to haveto stay home from college to catch it. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: January 24, 2010, 07:52:10 am »

IT HAS BEEN UPDATED.

Let the testing begin!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1065