Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2150 2151 [2152] 2153 2154 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5877474 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32265 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »

Hmm, well The Rabbit of Huts has 15 adults, a dozen children, and ~300 deceased. Oldest child is 3 yrs. I also have a variety of livestock, but I'd trade most of it just to have more dwarves. I do have spider silk in the first layer.

The happy thoughts can be contained with a good dining room, bedrooms, and cook. The thing that worries me now is that the undead get a strength boost when they die. So it is possible for things to get out-of-hand and overwhelm my axelords if the numbers get too high.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32266 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »

@peridot: Swimmers, that was it.  Trying to plan out forms of capture at 2 in the morning is apparently not my best plan. :)  I usually double fortify my magma punches.  For some reason my brain hooked in on fliers doing the same thing.  Thanks.
I recommend more beer.

But how does a second row of fortifications help with swimmers? If they can swim through one, can't they swim through two? I always rely on their inability to pass upward through floor grates. With water it just means I need a U-bend, but with magma I need a pump, though if I'm opening up the magma sea or something one manual pump is usually plenty.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32267 on: January 18, 2014, 04:29:28 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 162, Mid-Autumn of 347 (Year 96)

One of the youngest soldiers of the fortress, Olin Channelflashes, went missing.  [...] It was revealed that young Olin had ventured too close to a drawbridge.  Despite clear warnings and guidelines regarding safe paths around them, he was crushed while one was in operation.

Y'see, that's why you employ high-level weavers/clothiers and sell off/destroy most goblin clothing before it can get claimed by your beards. My two drawbridge deaths were promptly announced by the message "A masterwork of [Urist McTextileWorker] has been lost!".

At least one of them (but probably both) went into the active bridge crusher to "clean" it - those things do get sort of grimy after a few hundred goblins; travel restrictions don't help there, since the bridge itself is the job location.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32268 on: January 18, 2014, 05:22:51 pm »

I recommend more beer.

But how does a second row of fortifications help with swimmers? If they can swim through one, can't they swim through two? I always rely on their inability to pass upward through floor grates. With water it just means I need a U-bend, but with magma I need a pump, though if I'm opening up the magma sea or something one manual pump is usually plenty.

For some reason they can swim over one, but not two in a row.  Dunno why, just is.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32269 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:08 pm »

Laborfords
9th Galena, 205

Hey, the goblins killed your diplomat, not my dwarves! We're turtling, it's not my fault your merchants got killed...

Man am I glad climbing isn't in yet, though, because they are uncomfortably close to my wall. Mind, I tried to make the edge uncomfortably close to my wall, so it's not their fault...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32270 on: January 18, 2014, 07:32:11 pm »

Just found out that a Steam FB isn't that scary. Spent four pages wailing on a child before the Romantic Oils could scramble. Kid didn't even get a headache.

Meanwhile, I'm getting spammed that another FB is caught in a pool of fire, but I've got so many to choose from roaming the caverns I have no idea which one or what's causing it.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32271 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:08 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 161, Mid-Winter of 347 (Year 96)

Work has continued on the wall surrounding the capital, along with the 16 archery towers connected by it.  Unfortunately, when some misplaced constructions were torn down, the support they provided wasn't realized until it was too late. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The crashing rock killed one dwarf and injured several others, along with a war bear.  Asmel Anguishedpages lost his friend, Uzoldoren Earthennourishes, and was full of grief.  Nevertheless, he continued with his work on the wall without any interruption, both a tribute to his friend and to dwarven fortitude in the face of adversity. Meanwhile, the medic Sarvesh Channelelder landed in the infirmary with a near-fatal head injury.   

Though her skull was broken, Sarvesh suffered no permanent complications and made a full recovery.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32272 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:54 am »

Laborfords
14th Timber, 207

-yawn- Lemme just readjust the safezone burrow to account for the places I've been digging out and I'll let you guys have some fun in the HFDP.

Humans come mounted by default, by the way. 'Tis fun, makes for more friends!

Edit: 64 invaders. -UGLY LAUGHTER-
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:15:04 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32273 on: January 19, 2014, 12:33:17 am »

Relicshield, pop. 162, Mid-Autumn of 347 (Year 96)

One of the youngest soldiers of the fortress, Olin Channelflashes, went missing.  [...] It was revealed that young Olin had ventured too close to a drawbridge.  Despite clear warnings and guidelines regarding safe paths around them, he was crushed while one was in operation.

Y'see, that's why you employ high-level weavers/clothiers and sell off/destroy most goblin clothing before it can get claimed by your beards. My two drawbridge deaths were promptly announced by the message "A masterwork of [Urist McTextileWorker] has been lost!".

My dwarves only wear native clothing.  Also, this particular dwarf was a soldier and only wore armor, both off and on duty.

At least one of them (but probably both) went into the active bridge crusher to "clean" it - those things do get sort of grimy after a few hundred goblins; travel restrictions don't help there, since the bridge itself is the job location.

That's definitely a possibility for what happened to Olin.  Sigh.  Talk about bad timing.  He had a promising military career ahead of him :(.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32274 on: January 19, 2014, 01:08:51 am »

Laborfords
19th Obsi--

Lielac cancels update forum about her fort: interrupted by Frantic, Cat ♀ (Tame)

(One cat location adjustment later...)

Laborfords
19th Obsidian, 207

I've used VerdantSF's Actual Dwarven Daycare plans to contain my bratlings, and am transforming the former memorial hall into a frankly palatial suite for all the little beardlings. Engraved magnetite clusters FTW!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32275 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:18 am »

I've used VerdantSF's Actual Dwarven Daycare plans to contain my bratlings, and am transforming the former memorial hall into a frankly palatial suite for all the little beardlings. Engraved magnetite clusters FTW!

Post some screenshots when it's done :)!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32276 on: January 19, 2014, 01:30:15 am »

Post some screenshots when it's done :)!

Laborfords
1st Slate, 208

THE LITTLE MONSTERS WON'T STAY

I've assigned them beds, I've assigned them to the burrow, there's food and booze and chairs and tables and THEY WON'T FUCKING STAY -sob-

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32277 on: January 19, 2014, 01:36:06 am »

Did you create a dining room with the tables?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32278 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:56 am »

Did you create a dining room with the tables?

Nnno ALSO I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM I'd set the civilian alert to "STAY INSIDE YOU LITTLE SHITS" and I'm pretty sure that overrides "stay in your personal burrow"

I'm gonna add the daycare burrow to the "STAY INSIDE" alert.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32279 on: January 19, 2014, 01:43:36 am »

Ah, that's probably it.  Make sure the kids also have access to new clothing or they'll throw a fit when their clothes rot.
Pages: 1 ... 2150 2151 [2152] 2153 2154 ... 3836