Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 619644 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4335 on: May 10, 2017, 09:50:36 pm »

Why is it harder to see outside at night that deep in a dark underground tunnel at night?

That's due to everyone (except dwarves, kobolds, trolls, gremlins, minotaurs & other cave critters) having poor LOW_LIGHT_VISION. Dwarves, kobolds, trolls, gremlins, minotaurs & other cave critters have a 10K which equals the full 25 tile view range at night/underground. Pretty much everyone else is restricted to 4 tile view range at night/underground.

Is there a resource on what the words next to the needs/desires in my adventurer's sheet mean? I understand them when it says something like "intense need" but what the heck does "unfettered" or "undistracted" mean in this context?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Need
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:53:41 pm by peasant cretin »

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:26 am »

Does anyone else have an issue with certain pieces of information not being available to ask about? I have switched lords two or three times because every once in awhile I hit a quest where they say "you must drive ______ out of ________" - and usually when it works they'll at least say "__________ is in ____________", referring to the region in some capacity. But lately they just stop at that first bit and there's nothing more to ask about in the conversation - and I can't ask about the town they mentioned. So I'm gonna have to change hearths once again just because I can't ask anything more.

Okay here's a specific example:
I can neither ask about "The Weak Containers" or "Pulledskinny" - and the conversation evaporated immediately from there.

Okay now he's done it like four or five times. I keep closing out of DF to try again, and he's given me multiple quests he knows absolutely nothing about. This appears be some sort of bug.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:48:41 am by gnome »

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: May 11, 2017, 02:35:08 pm »

Is there a resource on what the words next to the needs/desires in my adventurer's sheet mean? I understand them when it says something like "intense need" but what the heck does "unfettered" or "undistracted" mean in this context?

The intensity level of a need/desire determines how fast the satisfaction level decays Unfettered is the highest level of satisfaction achievable, and it decays over time through stages. Undistracted is sort of the 'base-line' level at which you get no bonuses to your focus and no detriments. As it sinks further the character becomes increasingly distracted by the unmet-need until it is either satisfied or hits maximum decay. The average of your total need/desire states contributes to your focus level, and more focus = bigger bonuses to pretty much everything, while greater levels of distraction = detriments to everything. Having many needs is more complex to juggle but it can allow you to ignore one or two needs that are difficult or detrimental to satisfy (for instance, practically every adventurer inevitably gains the 'needs alcohol to function' trait, which I hate as a mechanic).

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: May 11, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »

The intensity level of a need/desire determines how fast the satisfaction level decays Unfettered is the highest level of satisfaction achievable, and it decays over time through stages. Undistracted is sort of the 'base-line' level at which you get no bonuses to your focus and no detriments. As it sinks further the character becomes increasingly distracted by the unmet-need until it is either satisfied or hits maximum decay. The average of your total need/desire states contributes to your focus level, and more focus = bigger bonuses to pretty much everything, while greater levels of distraction = detriments to everything. Having many needs is more complex to juggle but it can allow you to ignore one or two needs that are difficult or detrimental to satisfy (for instance, practically every adventurer inevitably gains the 'needs alcohol to function' trait, which I hate as a mechanic).
Shit man, if I'd trek'd as far as I've forced my adventurer's to, all for the sake of a variety of horrifying near-death experiences and traumatic conflicts - I'd sure want a drink too.

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: May 11, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »

No I think the "vulnerable to stress" dial can be turned all the way down to make it not happen

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: May 11, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »

Shit man, if I'd trek'd as far as I've forced my adventurer's to, all for the sake of a variety of horrifying near-death experiences and traumatic conflicts - I'd sure want a drink too.

Not everyone deals with stress the same way. Some people turn to drugs, sure- others to sex, work, or sheer madness. Having alcoholism be the default, basically unavoidable stress management mechanism is immensely irritating in the degree it shoehorns character personality traits and interferes with roleplaying.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: May 11, 2017, 07:15:39 pm »

No I think the "vulnerable to stress" dial can be turned all the way down to make it not happen

Perhaps in an earlier version, but certainly not in the current one. It may /slow/ the rate at which it occurs, but your adventurer will inevitably become a raging alcoholic, period.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: May 11, 2017, 07:20:50 pm »

Having alcoholism be the default, basically unavoidable stress management mechanism is immensely irritating in the degree it shoehorns character personality traits and interferes with roleplaying.

Much agreement.

Also IMO, there's a Dostoyevskian slant to the intersection between personality traits/facets, beliefs, and physical and non-physical mannerisms. It's a shrillness sieved through the lens of an odd moderate normalcy.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:57 pm »

Not everyone deals with stress the same way. Some people turn to drugs, sure- others to sex, work, or sheer madness. Having alcoholism be the default, basically unavoidable stress management mechanism is immensely irritating in the degree it shoehorns character personality traits and interferes with roleplaying.
I'm not sure why you took my post entirely literally - I was in no way shape or form saying that "everyone drinks", I was making a joke. I find the idea amusing regardless. I don't think it's that terrible a hindrance, as my character being slightly unfocused doesn't seem to have terribly detrimental effects. That's one need out of quite a lot of possibilities. You won't hear me complaining if it gets changed, but I can still find it funny, as most of the game-breaking bugs in DF usually rather are.

I'm really more concerned that the conversation system is not implemented properly, I hit a multitude of roadblocks when surveying for information where there aren't options where there should be and I find that to be much more of an immersion killer when I can't ask the things I need to ask. The needs are under the table and all fuel the exact same stat. Not that big of a deal imo.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:11:49 pm by gnome »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: May 11, 2017, 11:09:28 pm »

I think the mechanism comes from when a civilized person gets so used to violence and tragedy that they 'Does'nt really care about anything anymore' they get alcohol dependant. Dwarves have that already but you'll see if you mod then raws and run a human fort.

Makes sense to me, but I can see it being a placeholder, since some other needs on place don't make sense as coping mechanism for psychological trauma. Nobody is like 'Wow ever since Kogan came back fron the war where he slaughtered all those people and watched his comrades die and was horribly injured and nearly killed, he sure does admire artwork alot.'

I suppose everyone is different, some people get really religious or bury themselves in work but alcohol is a more natural solution.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: May 12, 2017, 12:09:07 am »

I'm not sure why you took my post entirely literally - I was in no way shape or form saying that "everyone drinks", I was making a joke. I find the idea amusing regardless. I don't think it's that terrible a hindrance, as my character being slightly unfocused doesn't seem to have terribly detrimental effects. That's one need out of quite a lot of possibilities. You won't hear me complaining if it gets changed, but I can still find it funny, as most of the game-breaking bugs in DF usually rather are.

I'm really more concerned that the conversation system is not implemented properly, I hit a multitude of roadblocks when surveying for information where there aren't options where there should be and I find that to be much more of an immersion killer when I can't ask the things I need to ask. The needs are under the table and all fuel the exact same stat. Not that big of a deal imo.

ASD, literally couldn't tell, but also I was just irritated. Not at you, if it helps, just at the who set up in general. From a playability standpoint you do have a point, the conversation system just isn't equipped to convey the information that it needs and should be able to do. NPCs should be able to say, 'I don't know and I don't know anyone who would' if they know SOMEONE should have the information should have the information, just not in their social sphere, or 'The knowledge has been lost to time' or some such if there is no-one at all who could recall that information.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: May 12, 2017, 12:17:08 am »

I think the mechanism comes from when a civilized person gets so used to violence and tragedy that they 'Does'nt really care about anything anymore' they get alcohol dependant. Dwarves have that already but you'll see if you mod then raws and run a human fort.

Makes sense to me, but I can see it being a placeholder, since some other needs on place don't make sense as coping mechanism for psychological trauma. Nobody is like 'Wow ever since Kogan came back fron the war where he slaughtered all those people and watched his comrades die and was horribly injured and nearly killed, he sure does admire artwork alot.'

I suppose everyone is different, some people get really religious or bury themselves in work but alcohol is a more natural solution.

Ethonol is natural? I'm pretty sure the 'natural' solution is PTSD, which generally involves sleeplessness, nightmares, depression, anxiety, anger, and a heightened propensity to suicide. Not trying to be combative, just wanting to make the point that alcohol dependency is not the obvious choice, just the most normative one.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4347 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:31 am »

Ethonol is natural? I'm pretty sure the 'natural' solution is PTSD, which generally involves sleeplessness, nightmares, depression, anxiety, anger, and a heightened propensity to suicide. Not trying to be combative, just wanting to make the point that alcohol dependency is not the obvious choice, just the most normative one.

Well, to his defense, PTSD is a modern mental illness. While it did happened and there are historical records of soldiers that shown signs of combat fatigue, it was excedingly rare in ancient times. This is due for the evolutionary reason behind combat fatigue, which is a corruption of our learning ability.

Long story short, if you are a gazelle see your grandmother surviving a tiger attack, you will learn from what you see and instinctively mimic what she did in the event you are under a tiger attack later. If you're a knight and manage to block an axe coming your way, you'll repeat the pattern that allowed you to survive next time someone tries to axe you

If instead, you're put in a trench under constant shelling, have no way of predicting how death will come and witness your tribemembers die without being able to give rhyme or reason of it, you will associate the constant shelling to immediate danger against which you cannot prepare, and will freak out next time a kid lights a firework in the vicinity.

In the other hand, studies show that a lot of animals have an ethanol addiction. Some bees, for exemple, can litterally get drunk on the pollen of some flowers (and are killed off by other bees when they come home late)

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: May 12, 2017, 06:40:30 am »

Probably way off topic here. Yeah alcoholism makes sense in a RP sense as a normal thing, but I agree other coping mechanisms should exist, dwarves and elves are weird people so I could see traumtised individuals  obsessing over arts and crafts or intensely needing to go bird watching instead of drinking, or something,which they all really do anyways.

My current adventurer is oddly ambivalent about alcohol despite being a dwarf. He does seem extra religious though, especially talking to hin with another adventurer. His personality and ethics are tailored to keep him unfussy and to handle adversity without being to min-maxy though and I forgot exactly what traits I focused on.

Good thing about the alcohol since there was only a single barrel of strawberry wine on the whole (pocket) world left after the human civ's only tavern fell into ruin.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: May 12, 2017, 06:56:15 am »

Good point on the bee alcoholism, but I don't agree about PTSD being a modern disease. Soldiers aren't the only people who can come down with it, and the level of avoidability/learnability of the trauma involved is irrelevant. Just because medieval sources don't report mental illnesses doesn't mean they don't exist- especially low-key 'invisible' illnesses like PTSD or depression that people tend to overlook in real life anyway.

I can understand why Toady included the mechanism- the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] tag already existed from Fort mode, and he must have wanted to make it available as a feature in Adventure mode to help tie the two together. While I think this was a good idea in principle I think the implementation at the moment is very poor.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 327