Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 438232 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Burn, baby, burn
« Reply #750 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:41 am »

Honestly this game has made me think twice about Early Access in general, and like others have express I wont buy another Chucklefish game.  Also I wont purchase any of their published games either, even if it IS the second coming of Super Mario Bros.  Money that was supposed to go into Starbound was mismanaged just so they could start their publishing venture, which leads me to believe they knew from the get go that the game wouldn't be anything as advertised, it was a sales pitch to fund a would be publishing company of lazy fuckwits getting fat off of the works of others.  And people need to quit with the "but there's this mod that fixes it".  Stop encouraging companies to release tech demos cause they know their fanbase will turn it into a fun game.  The spirit of modding isn't to finish someone else's shoddy products, it's about expanding on something the modder loves and adding their little mark to the world.

That said, question for everyone, those who feel they were bilked as well as those who still absolutely love this game....did you actually get what you paid for?  Cause I sure didn't.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:41 am »

Much earlier, when I played it and we had some modded mp, I got to play some terraria in space with a little exploring, and that was ok. I doubt I'd play it again now, but it wasn't the worst decision.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 03, 2016, 11:33:06 am »

I'd have to second that. Except for one failure (Code Hero), I haven't had too bad of luck in KS either, while I have ended up with early access games I'm not too impressed with in the end or died completely.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:28 am »

I dunno, 2 of the 5 early access games I bought have left early access and become really good games (KSP and Prison Architect), two of the others are games that are really good right now and I've put a bunch of time into them (Space Engineers and the Forest) and the 5th is Starbound, which I did have fun playing when it came out and we had a server up but haven't touched since. I'm okay with that ratio.

EDIT: I forgot about the Long Dark. That's great right now too and is leaving EA soon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 03, 2016, 12:10:10 pm »

That said, question for everyone, those who feel they were bilked as well as those who still absolutely love this game....did you actually get what you paid for?  Cause I sure didn't.

I have a quote from the old thread, something along the lines of "I'll be satisfied if it's terraria in space with more guns" and that's somewhere in the ballpark. I have 156 hours into it, mostly building custom ships. Assuming they don't completely gut the colony aspect of it, chances are good I drop at least that many more hours into it before I quit playing completely.

The thing is, I acknowledged that when I first bought the game, the version I got would be all I ever got. I thought it was worth it at the time, now their abusive customer policy is the only reason I regret it. I didn't really buy into their promises, because no one ever lives up to the hype. No one.

"Pay me $50 for this wooden box. I swear there's gold in it, but you can't look." If you're gonna give the guy your money, you better be prepared to settle for just the box.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 03, 2016, 01:11:18 pm »

*polishes his "I told ye!" badge*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #756 on: February 03, 2016, 01:15:46 pm »

I really enjoyed it when it first came out, and if there were a way to revert to that version and just play that now, I probably wouldn't regret my purchase in terms of enjoyment. But since, as far as I know, there's no way you can play older versions of the game, it's ruined for me. They took out everything I liked and added a ton of stuff I hated, and the game I bought is gone forever.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:02 pm »

I really enjoyed it when it first came out, and if there were a way to revert to that version and just play that now, I probably wouldn't regret my purchase in terms of enjoyment. But since, as far as I know, there's no way you can play older versions of the game, it's ruined for me. They took out everything I liked and added a ton of stuff I hated, and the game I bought is gone forever.
There actually may be a way to play an older version: GOG recently introduced their "Games In Development", similar to Steam Early Access, but with a nice addition:
The GOG Galaxy client should also come in handy for games in development. It lets you control updates manually if you want, while the rollback feature allows you to easily restore any earlier version of your game if an update breaks something or makes unwanted changes. For games in development, rollback will also track and create historical snapshots throughout a game's development. That means you can always revisit any point in a game's history — for fun, or for science.

The thing is that I don't know if you can rollback to a previous version when Starbound was not available on GOG. :/
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 03, 2016, 01:52:18 pm »

I have a quote from the old thread, something along the lines of "I'll be satisfied if it's terraria in space with more guns" and that's somewhere in the ballpark. I have 156 hours into it, mostly building custom ships. Assuming they don't completely gut the colony aspect of it, chances are good I drop at least that many more hours into it before I quit playing completely.

Sappho's summary is how I feel honestly.  I bought the game when they still had the roadmap up(you know, before they took it down and started denying it was actually a thing), and the thing is the things they promised really weren't unreasonable to expect, especially considering that a lot of it WAS made by modders(before they broke those with their "fast and meaty" updates).  Then to do a complete 180 on the initial design was just a big fuck you to their customer base.

Honestly I probably wouldn't express this much over this game and just chuck it into the fuck it bucket...but it's STILL being shilled by gaming tabloids, despite this near unanimous consensus from the customer base now.  All I can really think is, Tiy must be gorgeous in drag, and can suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:22 pm »

That being said, anyone feeling dispassionate enough to give me a straight answer on the mods thing?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #760 on: February 03, 2016, 02:35:24 pm »

I don't think I got much time out of this, think I last played it over a year ago? Probably even more, not sure. It was fun but it felt incomplete and lacked polish. Seems that a lot has changed since then and not for the better.

Still, I got hours and hours of time from the soundtrack that I got with the game so that alone probably made it a worthy purchase.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »

I dunno, I got hopes for Slime Rancher, and it's early access. But this is a Starbound thread so.

But yeah. Starbound definitely abused it. They got paid for an idea and not a game, and got lazy when they made their money. I still enjoy playing, however.

That being said, anyone feeling dispassionate enough to give me a straight answer on the mods thing?

I looked through the previous replies. What's up?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 03, 2016, 04:10:19 pm »

What I was hoping for, at least, was for the colony system to be more involved than Terraria. Even though it's nice that they didn't outright made it exactly like Terraria, I kinda expected much more.

I believe the next feature for people who have the same interests as me (colonization/automation/transport) after ship upgrades, teleports and colonies (I think that's the order they were implemented), is the thing were you can assign colonists as crewmen (or something) and that unlocks different upgrades for your ship.
However, doubt that'd make me go back to the game.  ::)
I mean, dude..No Man's Sky will be released probably around June and Starbound will still be Beta.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 03, 2016, 05:07:00 pm »

Honestly I feel like No man's Sky will scratch the itch that Starbound failed to reach. It came close, but... Eugh. I guess I'll settle for exploring the stars in a small starship and living out childhood fantasies in 3D rather than 2D.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 03, 2016, 09:02:07 pm »

Yeah. Even though one must be careful with the hype, I still think NMS will be a blast. I'm pretty sure in 1 hour you'll have as much action and epic moments as you'd have in ~6h of Elite Dangerous.
I could be entirely wrong, though..since I missed my predictions pretty badly with Spore.

Though I think I should clarify that I didn't mean NMS will replace Starbound or something. NMS won't have sandbox features, even though it would the game I always wanted if it had  :'( :'(.
I just meant that a game that started development after SB (IIRC NMS started late 2012) with a huge scale will be finished way before it leaves beta.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 130