Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523980 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13:26 am »

Man.  I can't remember where I put my Dom 3 disk, so I can't scratch the itch this topic is giving me without shelling out.

Eventuallyyyy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »

Just lost my 11 year game to a stuck turn bug. :\

I could roll back a whole year but eh, I hate repeating that much time in Dominions.

The game hasn't fundamentally changed, but some of the changes are nice, especially for MP where things are less staid and predictable. Between fully fortified castles, which are ridiculously tough w/o spells and magic items and siege breakers, and the new province defense system, defense really has never been easier. In SP the game largely feels like it hasn't changed much, but all the improvements are good...if slightly underwhelming. I think MP is where the bulk of the changes will be felt the most.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »

Dominions 3 is now on steam!

$20 Is the normal price, currently discounted to $15.99!

Have fun, make some gods, burn some non-believers!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:02 pm »

Anyone thinking about getting 3 should probably just wait for 4 to be released.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:34 am »

But the price will be 3 or 4 times as expensive ! :(

And Dom3 already have mods ...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2013, 07:15:11 am »

Currently going for 35 on Desura. D3 is ~16 on steam with the sale, 20 normally. Price is a lot more reasonable this time around. I'd probably expect a fairly decent sale for D4... maybe next summer or christmas? Not too long, really. Illwinter's gotten a lot more savvy about pricing since they ditched shrapnel, heh. Or at least whoever's handling the price for 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2013, 12:02:57 pm »

Currently going for 35 on Desura. D3 is ~16 on steam with the sale, 20 normally. Price is a lot more reasonable this time around. I'd probably expect a fairly decent sale for D4... maybe next summer or christmas? Not too long, really. Illwinter's gotten a lot more savvy about pricing since they ditched shrapnel, heh. Or at least whoever's handling the price for 'em.

That really remains to be seen. Putting your 9 year old game on Steam at a discount isn't exactly proof that they'll follow suit like most gaming companies and start discounting at 3 months.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:24 pm »

That really remains to be seen. Putting your 9 year old game on Steam at a discount isn't exactly proof that they'll follow suit like most gaming companies and start discounting at 3 months.

True, but if we look at CoE 3 I think we see that illwinter is much more willing to go the discount route to reach a wider audience. Started at $30 about a year ago and now is available for $10 on steam and has been featured in game bundles before. I've also seen Dominions 3 discounted to as low as 7.50 at times on Gamersgate.

I'm quite certain that their decision to self publish CoE3 was the main impetuous to not renew their publishing deal with Shrapnel as that is a publishing company that I feel is trapped in the past when it comes to pricing of it's 'niche' games. The high price kept a lot of potential audience away from the game despite it being their most popular seller. 

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »

TBH Illwinter games tends to market it's products at obscenely expensive prices.

Am I the only one wary of the relatively scant -at-a-glance improvements of dominions 4 over 3?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2013, 06:44:26 pm »

I wouldn't describe them as scant, especially when you consider the future additions. Dominions 3 got quite a lot of content patched in, for free, post-release, and I expect we'll see the same thing with Dominions 4. Even if you just think of it as an expansion to Dominions 3 rather than a full sequel, I don't think $35 is too unreasonable; I paid almost as much for a third of Civ 5 :P.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:28 pm »

TBH Illwinter games tends to market it's products at obscenely expensive prices.

Am I the only one wary of the relatively scant -at-a-glance improvements of dominions 4 over 3?

A lot of the historically obscene pricing was Illwinter's prior publishers. As soon as they moved Dom3 away from Shrapnel Games (which apparently happened as soon as the contracts finally expired), the price dropped something like 40%.

I'm happy with the level of improvements. It's not a paradigm shift, but there's a lot of small changes, and a few reasonably-sized ones. Additionally, as Karlito points out, there will be plenty more incremental stuff to come post-release, and past experience suggests it will all come in free patches.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2013, 10:10:02 am »

Here is a guy doing a let play of the beta, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQ6RtFpoo0

Edited: for being high and not typing in english.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:15:26 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:29 pm »

Is Dominions 4 buggy or crashy currently?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:59 pm »

I haven't experienced any crashes. There are many small bugs, most of which don't impact play significantly; much of the work that still needs to be done is either balancing or finishing/proof-reading all the text that's in the game.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »

I've tried 4 games and crashed after the first turn in all four of them. It MIGHT be just random chance that I ended up with the same AI nation each time and it crashed the game, or there may be a weird issue with games using the same name (one time I ended up playing multiple nations in the same game, the nation I chose the previous game and the nation I chose the current game... may be a problem using the same map AND the same name, I'm not sure).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 236