Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524268 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #405 on: March 25, 2014, 02:57:36 pm »

My first thought was mages whose power ebbs and flows with the changing of the seasons.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »

My first thought was mages whose power ebbs and flows with the changing of the seasons.

Huh. That would be... pretty annoying, actually. Though I guess that it could also apply to something like T'ien C'hi or something.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 25, 2014, 03:20:59 pm »

Based on the names, Maharishi and Raksharani should be a great guru and a raksha queen. As for "Caelum gods", yeah, no idea. Presumably something Zoroastern. But the next patch looks like Caelum is getting a serious massaging, so it should be interesting.
Yeah, the new India based pretenders are kind of straight forward. Not sure what "Caelum gods", "Caelum Pretenders" or "Some pretenders" refers to in the notes though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2014, 07:28:55 pm »

Whoohoo! Bought this game on the STEAM sale, and won my first game today. I had hordes of undead wash across the nation as I swallowed up the thrones. I just know I barely scratched the surface of this game too.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2014, 07:56:31 pm »

I think we've already got units who can get stat bonuses in certain seasons, so it'd be neat if there could be some path bonuses as well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:19 pm »

I played Dom3 a bit and have recently bought Dom4, however I've always been slightly underwhelmed by them compared to other 4x games, and I do wonder if I'm missing something.
I get that there's TONS of spells, and it's great fun to use them and summon hordes of monsters and things, but the AI feels a bit flat, there's no diplomacy as far as I can tell, and the micromanagement is utter hell.

The sheer amount of content is great, but to me that doesn't really equal deepness of mechanics which is always talked about.  I really feel I might be missing something or just haven't appreciated some aspect of it properly as it's just never thrilled me as much as it seems to other people. I always seem to be able to mop up the AI just with spamming recruitment, a few summons and a few other spells (as well as some forging), and never feel that it gets that tactical. I get that loads of units have different skills/bonuses and whatever, but it still feels as though I'm mostly just slogging my units at the AI until I win.

Also, does anyone know if there are any graphical upgrades/packs? I'm not normally one to complain, but I find it painful after a while.

Again, I've enjoyed what I've played of it and really do want to go further into the complexity, but mostly it just feels like insane micromanagement.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2014, 08:07:57 pm »

The deepness of the mechanics only actualy shows up in multiplayer, in all honesty this game only shows how incredible it can be when you're facing off against actual players that can make use of the huge spell variety and different strategies.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

The deepness of the mechanics only actualy shows up in multiplayer, in all honesty this game only shows how incredible it can be when you're facing off against actual players that can make use of the huge spell variety and different strategies.

I thought that might be the case. I'm not really a fan of turn based strategy multi-player, as I always feel rushed in my turns and the waiting gets tiresome until mid/late game. I might have to try it sometime though I guess.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 29, 2014, 08:27:18 pm »

Errr.. from what I recall.. dominions multiplayer is everyone does their turns, than turns them into the host, the turn resolves, and everyone gets a new turn to play. Generally only one or two turns happen per day, so you're not holding anyone up really unless you take more than a day for one turn.

Or did they change that for 4?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »

Errr.. from what I recall.. dominions multiplayer is everyone does their turns, than turns them into the host, the turn resolves, and everyone gets a new turn to play. Generally only one or two turns happen per day, so you're not holding anyone up really unless you take more than a day for one turn.

Or did they change that for 4?

Honestly I got 4 because I thought they fixed that... then I was astonished when I found out "Yep... we are still doing play by email"

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2014, 08:35:10 pm »

I thought that might be the case. I'm not really a fan of turn based strategy multi-player, as I always feel rushed in my turns and the waiting gets tiresome until mid/late game. I might have to try it sometime though I guess.

The problem I have with the multiplayer is that its all PBEM. I hate the idea of waiting days or weeks RL time just to play a game. I could have beaten the game like 12 times over in that span.

Actually this is an issue I have with computer games in general, all the mucking around with opening ports and shit. Feel like I'm stuck in the seventies sometimes.

But, anyway, wondering what some people would think of a "War Bow" strategy? Specifically, there is an item known as a "war bow" which fires 15 or so arrows at once. Now bear with me on this, but the Raksashas have four arms and can thus dual wield bows right? So we give two of these to each raksasha commander, have them lead max numbers of the little archermonkies, and then cover the entire universe in arrows. Step 3:???? Step 4: Profit.
Note: using Dom3, not sure how this would go in Dom4.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 29, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »

Good luck having many of those arrows hit.

Archery has sort of an issue...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2014, 08:43:22 pm »

Neonivek, you do know that you can play via direct connect servers?
Of course you would first have to find or set one up since most games* still use llamaserver for whatever reason.

* I do not stalk each and every dominions 4 community on the web, who knows what's out there.

As for the warbow thing, you can improve the accuracy by getting an A bless and/or giving the commander an eye of aiming. Add in friendly mage casting Aim (or selfcast eagle eyes) and you've got an ungodly precision.

Not sure it's worth all that bother but you can do it. Throw in flaming arrows for extra hilarity.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 29, 2014, 08:56:15 pm »

Warbow spam is a decent thing to do in the midgame, depending on who you're fighting, especially if you've got a nation with air mages to spare.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2014, 09:07:31 pm »

Well crap. Turns out I was wrong about the Raksashas having four arms. That's just their pretenders :(

Wasn't there some nation that had four armed commanders? :P
Because normal warbow spam is good, but I really just want to be Ranger from 8-Bit Theatre.

Dual Wieldin mah Dual Wield and all that XD
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 236