Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524316 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1305 on: April 13, 2015, 09:15:30 pm »

Gottcha.

Separate question: is beginning the construction of my first fort on turn 3 a "just because you can doesn't mean you should" situation?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 13, 2015, 09:20:04 pm »

So, trying out MA Jotunheim.  If I want to dip into blood, how important is it to go construction 4 first to get SDRs?  Considering that I have some use for construction anyway.

MA Jotunhiem? You have the Vaetti hags to bloodhunt. With SDRs they count as B2, so they should find slaves 90% of the time. You should also have much more of them kicking around than Skratti since they're forest recruit and they're slightly cheaper on your upkeep too. Though with that being said, if you do have some Skratti kicking around then bloodhunting with them isn't the worse idea in the world.

Gottcha.

Separate question: is beginning the construction of my first fort on turn 3 a "just because you can doesn't mean you should" situation?

As with all things, it depends. As long as it doesn't hamper your expansion and the fort will be build in a fairly good location I'd say to go for it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 13, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »

Oh right, forgot about the existence of hags. They'll certainly benefit from the dowsing rods.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 14, 2015, 12:11:43 am »

Do you use Cap-only troops to expand ?
If so, I would delay the fort a bit.

Typically, with giant nations, you can expand without loosing troops. This means that the first troops you produce can give you more territory. It also depends on the positions of your neighbours, of course, but you could gain more provinces by delaying your first fort by 2-6 turns.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 19, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »

Anyone know exactly how damage vs protection is calculated?  The manual refers to a "random number", but its not clear exactly what that random number is.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 19, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »

Anyone know exactly how damage vs protection is calculated?  The manual refers to a "random number", but its not clear exactly what that random number is.
Quote from: pg8
Dominions Random Number (DRN)
Most Dominions game mechanisms use something called the Dominions Random Number (DRN). When a random number is called for, the number used is actually a DRN. This is a roll of two six-sided dice (2d6) but with an additional bonus: if any individual die roll is “6,” one is subtracted, and then that die is re-rolled and added to the result. This is referred to as an “open-ended” 2d6 roll. Example: The game calls for a DRN. Two dice are rolled and they come up 2,6. Because one of the dice was a “6,” one is subtracted from the total (making 7), and the die is rolled again. But this die is also a 6. So one is subtracted from the total (now up to 12) and a die is rolled again. It is a 4. The final
result for this DRN is 16.
Note that if both original dice came up as 6, both would be re-rolled and added as above. If a die keeps coming up 6, it keeps getting re-rolled and added, which can very occasionally lead to large numbers. Dominions has a lot of situations where something is very unlikely to happen, like a militia soldier hitting an ethereal monster. However, in the real world of Dominions, very few things are actually
impossible. To model this fact as closely as can be, the Dominions Random Number was created. With it, it is always possible for such an event to occur, which would not be the case if the roll was not openended. In some very few cases, there may only one six-sided die rolled. It is still open-ended, but in this case, the rules refer to it as a drn, in lower-case letters. An example is the dispelling of global enchantments.
It is one of those pages that is early, very easy to gloss over, and extremely important.
I don't remember whether elemental damage (fire/cold/etc) hits resistance or protection first.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 20, 2015, 02:54:22 am »

Oh right, forgot about the existence of hags. They'll certainly benefit from the dowsing rods.

Neeeever forget about hags, my friend.  They're fantastic little bitches.  So versatile, so easy to push out...  Golden.

Also with the change of SDR only helping blood mages, rather than anyone who could hold a stick, it's really more of a question now whether or not to jump for them.  Yeah, the difference between 1-2B is huge for hunting, so that's definitely worth picking up if those are gonna be your primary hunters, but outside of that...  Eh, I'll leave that for the smarties to work out.

But yes, start churning out hags.  You can't really ask for more in a blood hunter/communion slave/skellyspammer/vinespammer.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 02, 2015, 04:10:37 pm »

This looks amazing: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/archaea-early-age-release

It's a 29 player map with start positions for every EA nation.

#necromancy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:14:57 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 02, 2015, 06:32:02 pm »

This looks amazing: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/archaea-early-age-release

It's a 29 player map with start positions for every EA nation.

#necromancy
Oooh...

...I can't be the only one here who immediately thought, "now we just need to pull together 28 other players here".  ^_^

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:54 pm »

Our dominions community is probably more in the 15-20 player range, sadly. I'm not really sure I see the appeal of the HUGE games either.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 02, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »

Our dominions community is probably more in the 15-20 player range, sadly. I'm not really sure I see the appeal of the HUGE games either.

All the huge games I played in were absolutely horrific, both from a logistics standpoint and a gameplay standpoint. Something like a 4-5 team disciple game might work with that amount of players, but FFAs are awful.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 02, 2015, 07:23:42 pm »

Hmm. Location might constrain who can be ranged together; also, 29 is a prime number, but 28 is 4*7.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 02, 2015, 07:25:36 pm »

Whichever team gets Mictlan has one less player slot :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 02, 2015, 11:42:48 pm »

Would anyone be interested in playing a 2v2v2v2 disciple game?  I've got a newbie friend and we want to start a game together, also one of my games is fizzling out.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:09 am »

You know, seeing as its summer and all, I think I could handle two games starting up at once. I did seriously enjoy the last disciple match we played.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 236