Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524300 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1485 on: September 09, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »

No clue why oceania is labeled as a powerful priest nation, though. Their priest is actually pretty iffy, decent casting paths aside. Rest of 'em is pretty consistent in what's causing it (access to at least an H3 capital commander -- several also have summons or, in the case of Abysia, H3 recruit-anywhere).

One halfway wonders if it's not from the Bishop Fish. In Dom3. When Pelagia and Oceania were reversed, and didn't get their descriptions switched until sometime after Dom4's release.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

... heeey. Corpse eater. That's the thing the eater of the dead has, innit? And is apparently on a few pretenders, too? Does that... still function the way I remember? Eat corpses, get max HP, no particular cap, but the eater goes out of control if it gets to much HP? Does that work the same way on pretenders, just... without the control loss problem?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 13, 2015, 05:08:06 pm »

The eater of the dead changes forms from 994 (the one you summon) to 995, then 996, and finally to 997 (Unfettered), I believe, and I assume when it reaches 997 you lose control of it, but don't take my word for it because I've never actually summoned him (and I don't see any tags on him in the inspector to indicate that he wouldn't be under your control anymore).

The inspector doesn't show how they're linked, either.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 13, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »

So question: If you have a unit with "underwater regen" and give it the amulet of the fish will it still have the UW regen on land or no? Probably not, but if it DOES then OHOHO BOY I just had the best SC idea ever.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 13, 2015, 07:38:05 pm »

Well, all you need to test it is a Water Elemental and someone to cast Divine Name on it. Plus the Amulet of the Fish, of course.  ;D

(Or just summon Queens of Elemental Water, since two out of three of them have uwregen.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:40:02 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 14, 2015, 12:59:20 am »

(Or just summon Queens of Elemental Water, since two out of three of them have uwregen.)
These are what I was thinking of actually. Since they have ONE HUNDRED PERCENT uwregen.
Basically if it works with amulet of the fish then I'm thinking of empowering one up to S9 and having it wish for power until its hit points are firmly in the "impossible to fully deplete in one turn" area, then giving it a slave collar and calling it The Immovable Object.

All this is assuming it works in the first place.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:26 am »

The sad thing is that would still be pretty easy to kill... I mean at that level of research.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:48 am »

The sad thing is that would still be pretty easy to kill... I mean at that level of research.
With 1000 or more health that replenishes completely every turn? Unless something changed from Dom3 then wishing for power gives you BUCKETLOADS of HP

The only things I can think of are instakills like Claws of Kokytos or enslave spells, but the enslaves can be countered by making it a prophet and...well I'm not sure how to counter the other one since I would be using a slave collar to keep it from being retarded and routing from a battle it can't lose :P

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 14, 2015, 01:33:25 am »

Or opposition, or mind duel, or bone melter, or an ethereal crossbow, or anything that inflicts disease (that one is pretty manageable, just get regen), or soul slay, or that one artifact that instakills magic creatures, or possibly vengeance of the dead.  Let's see, what else... they could cast wish and wish for her by name, putting her under their control (I think).  They could assassinate her with an infinite summoning assassin.  Or hit her with a flesh eater axe for the chest wound and then next battle spam fatigue effects while attacking her with a horde of anti-thug hoburgs.  They could... put boots of youth on all their casters, cast burden of time, wait till she dies, and then suicide the caster and rebuild their army.  Probably some more I haven't thought of.

Plus the moment she attacks she dies, no questions asked.  Autoroute for the win :P

(sorry, killing SCs is like the one thing I'm really good at in this game and I took that as a challenge)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:09 am »

Or just simply horror mark it, which is pretty much the beginning of a death sentence.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 14, 2015, 02:08:16 am »

Plus the moment she attacks she dies, no questions asked.  Autoroute for the win :P
WHUT

Indeed, I do this.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 14, 2015, 08:12:54 am »

I'm a bit rusty so don't take my numbers as 100% accurate, but an army (attacker only?) autorouts at around turn 50. Stuff like berserk and the like still keep fighting. Then at around turn 75-100, most everything routs and if they can't, die.

So what EnigmaticHat is getting at, I believe, is that it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to lockdown your Elemental Queen so that she can't run away and thus would die at the end of the battle.

Horror marks can work as long as they're applied heavily. I've played multiple pretenders that had horror marks, no issues. Small number of them just won't trigger fast enough in an MP game to matter too much.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 14, 2015, 08:22:37 am »

I don't thnik that was what was said.
Basically, when 50% of the total HPs of an army has been killed, the army routs (I think there are morale checks each turn). So if somebody kills your 1000 HP Queen, then your army will most likely routs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:48 am »

Attacker will (try to) route first, yeah, barring a few oddities (Looking at you, VotD). 1k HP isn't actually that much -- only takes a hundred base humans (or 34 formorians :P) to match it, and every one past that is another increase to the threshold -- so a 1k hp SC getting dropped probably won't cause a larger army to route, if for some reason you're fielding them both in the same battle. If it actually does have a supporting army, though, your counter tactics can start trickling out the window.

... that said, if you've reached the point in the game that you're actually using multiple wishes to get one of the elemental royalty up to 1k+ health, I, uh. Think you have larger strategic decision making problems to worry about than how to build a freakishly overpriced and inefficient SC :V

Like how to stop yourself from doing that. Don't do that. It's silly.

Unless it being silly is the point, I guess. Or you're playing a high site, possibly modded game that is drowning you in so many gems you literally can't spend them all, and so freakishly wasteful things for marginal gains is the name of the game.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 14, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

Delta Foxtrot got it right.  Attackers autoroute after, well I think his numbers are right.  And if they can't, poof.  They dissolve for no explainable reason except that the game has no other way to end the fight.

So if slave collars prevent retreat, which is what BFEL is implying (I'm not actually sure that they do that, I think they might just give a morale bonus) all you would need to beat the SC is like 200 undead, or a couple death mages with reinvigoration casting Horde of Skeletons.

If slave collars don't prevent retreat, its a little harder to kill her if she attacks.  All you'd have to do is take the province she came from and any nearby ones, slash her up till she retreats, and then she dies from having nowhere to retreat to.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 236