Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524266 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2940 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:30 am »

Might be better as a stand aloen game, optimally with some build your own planeswalker style (much like pretenders now) - you can water down by going multicolor, but that will denie you access to more powerful creatures - I'd imagine 5 colors being much like allys, power in mass & utility - lands create mana as well as cash, magic sites still exist, but the main mana income is more "fairly" spread out based on terrain.

Much like MtG certain mechanics would mostly stick to certain colors, like trample to green, flying to white/black etc - Black could even have "cause a affliction" and other effects for most of its damage. Balance would be a bit of a issue - can blue just spam counterspell(s)?

Honestly, I'd just love to see some of the spells in Dominions, like forced evolution where you sac some of your animals/beasts and gain a rando (more expensive) unit for the fight, but lose the permanent...

Dominions needs some battlefield-enchantment-removal anyway.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: December 06, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »

Might be better as a stand aloen game, optimally with some build your own planeswalker style (much like pretenders now) - you can water down by going multicolor, but that will denie you access to more powerful creatures - I'd imagine 5 colors being much like allys, power in mass & utility - lands create mana as well as cash, magic sites still exist, but the main mana income is more "fairly" spread out based on terrain.

Much like MtG certain mechanics would mostly stick to certain colors, like trample to green, flying to white/black etc - Black could even have "cause a affliction" and other effects for most of its damage. Balance would be a bit of a issue - can blue just spam counterspell(s)?
The concept has been done before. It wouldn't have much in common with Dominions though.

Honestly, I'd just love to see some of the spells in Dominions, like forced evolution where you sac some of your animals/beasts and gain a rando (more expensive) unit for the fight, but lose the permanent...

Dominions needs some battlefield-enchantment-removal anyway.
Both of those aren't really compatible with a battle system that you plan ahead of time.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: December 07, 2016, 12:55:53 am »

The concept has been done before. It wouldn't have much in common with Dominions though.
Why not? Dominions is already well underway to being that game. Capture land to gain magic resources, find unique units and effects in specific lands (including a "tap"-like mechanic where you designate a unit to "use" a land's features), summon units and cast overland spells from a wide, color-based variety. Dominions just has strategic, pre-planned combat between big armies instead of the spellfest battles between handfuls of units that MtG does in its format, and with the scripted spells mechanic it's actually not that far off from it. It's well within "fluff it" distance, planeswalkers instead of pretenders, influence instead of dominion, various Dominarian landmarks instead of thrones, etc.

Both of those aren't really compatible with a battle system that you plan ahead of time.
Again, why not? The first is already almost present with the Crossbreeding spell, and you not only have the spell-scripting for the battle phase, but "battle disenchantment" could well be cast by AI easily.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2943 on: December 07, 2016, 10:17:31 am »

Alternately, what about Dominions: the Gathering? A sort of card-game condensed Dominions. Put candle tokens on land, research spell cards...

Maybe somewhere above M:tG in complexity, but way below Dominions itself. Although I suppose Magic and Dominions have different sorts of complexity.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: December 07, 2016, 08:53:28 pm »

Eehh... the sac thing definitely is compatible with D4's system, if maybe not 100% mod supported right this very instance. There's a handful of spells already in the game that effectively blow up units in battle for various effects, and hitting your own stuff with negative effects is very far from mechanically difficult, so far as I'm aware. Not even getting into blood magic, which has that sort of thing as pretty much its entire battlefield shtick, heh. I wouldn't be too surprised if you could mod up something that kills a random number of your units and then summons something nasty.

... though now I'm thinking of some kind of spell, probably blood, that soaks up a certain number (of gems worth) of battlefield wide (or maybe just buffs, period) persistent effects and then explodes the caster. Maybe an actual explosion, maybe it spawns a higher level horror, maybe it marks and after a certain number of marks triggers the effect (so you couldn't use someone casting the spell very long), something along those lines. Probably have to be fairly high up, magic level wise, just to make sure it's an investment rather than something spew B1 chaff at to shut down enemy casting. It'd be a neat spell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: December 09, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »

How does wind ride work? Google says the answer might be on the desura dom4 forum archive, but it won't load.

Specifically, I cast it three times. The game reported it was cast three times, and... Nothing else. Nobody appeared where I cast it. No battles.

Maybe scrying on the target provinces would help, information-wise.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: December 09, 2016, 02:54:33 pm »

Wind ride will whisk away a random enemy commander as long as it's not above size 3 and not an earth mage, I believe.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: December 09, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »

Is there a magic resist as well? My recent playing around with the Astral Harpoon found that it was almost entirely useless rather than a quirky novelty because of an unmentioned magic resist.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: December 10, 2016, 01:50:33 am »

Aside: I killed an enemy pretender with the Harpoon once. It was hilarious.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: December 10, 2016, 01:55:43 am »

Wind ride will whisk away a random enemy commander as long as it's not above size 3 and not an earth mage, I believe.

Earth magic and large size only provide a resistance to being whisked away, I've had one of Agartha's Oracles taken away by Wind Ride before (Earth 3 (minimum) and size 4). Granted, said Oracle shrugged off quite a few hits of the spell before being blown away so it's really not a valid method of killing them...
Not sure if there is a MR check though.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: December 11, 2016, 03:16:35 am »

I doubt there's MR. There isn't normally, for things that have other stats (size and earth paths) applied to the resistance. Don't know for sure though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: December 11, 2016, 09:02:05 am »

Well, like I said, I wouldn't have thought that about Astral Harpoon (strength and astral magic), but it has one...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: December 11, 2016, 10:43:26 am »

It would be intresting if (some) Nations had special starting magic items, bound to there nation & that can always be recovered/claimed when killing that commander or that capital. Could make for some intresting storys, like hunting for the assassin that stole a important item before he can leave the land - or those items "droping" at a battle where both armys wiped each other out, to be found by the next guy that walks in...

I'm sure you can come up with some intresting items that reflect certain nations and there lore...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2953 on: December 11, 2016, 04:58:24 pm »

Ragha has a special (const 2) artifact that's related to their nation. I'm not sure how it all works, since I've never used it.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:56 pm »

There's a small handful of nation locked (ish) items, actually. C'tis has 'em, ferex, and beyond ragha you could make a half-hearted argument that some of the reanimation nations do, too, since the boosting amulets only work for specific corporeal undead (not manikins, not incorporeal ones, etc.). Pretty sure one of the UW nations got some kind of jellyfish stick or somethin' relatively recently. Probably some I'm forgetting, heh.

None that start with them, though, which is a thought. It'd probably be hell and a half to balance for anything outside of fairly specific scenario setups.

As for rag's one, I've forgotten exactly how it works too, but I haven't forgotten it being kinda' useless. Something about the only thing that can equip it just not being very impressive, iirc, or at least not particularly suited to what bonuses the item gives.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 236