Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524289 times)

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2970 on: December 15, 2016, 10:21:06 pm »

Just in case anyone is interested Dominions 4 is on sale on Gamersgate for 85% off.  https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA-STEAM/  For the next 6 days...

That is an awesome deal.

Is the game worth playing though, if I don't do multiplayer and much prefer singleplayer? I'd probably play for a while, then get a bunch of mods. I know there is a lot of mods to choose from for Dominions 4, and those almost always spruce up the singleplayer experience.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: December 15, 2016, 10:41:33 pm »

I'd say... probably? If you like large scale strategy and fiddling with all sorts of moving parts, D4's a sexy, sexy beast even with sticking to single player. Dom 3 certainly was worth it just for SP for me (despite playing the thing for... probably over a year, I didn't play any MP games until 4), and D4 is D3 but pretty much better on every front. The AI's not the most amazing thing ever, but it puts up enough of a fight you can have some fun and there's ways to tweak things in their favor (loaded disciple teams being probably the least effort) if you want more of a struggle.

That said, game definitely isn't for everyone, by even the most remote of means. Pretty sure you can search the thread for stuff on that front, it's come up more than once. M'too tired to give it a proper shake at the moment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: December 15, 2016, 11:01:34 pm »

The AI is like... if you're just going in unspoiled, it might actually fuck you up.  Dom 4 is hard to play.  For a couple weeks after buying it I had no idea how to accomplish ANYTHING with magic.

If you're even slightly ready for MP, well... let's just say the AI isn't going to be that threatening.  But that's a high bar even if most players tell you its a low one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: December 16, 2016, 05:57:49 am »

Thanks for pointing out the deal, will force it on some friends.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: December 16, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »

The AI has been quietly improving with the assorted patches the game has received, as JK keeps picking away at it.

I found the UnitGen metamod helped keep Dom3 single-player fresh and interesting. I feel conflicted about being the one to bring up its Dom4 continuation/successor NationGen, but I do know there are a fair number of people who have said they like it for SP in addition to those who use it for MP, and I can certainly attest that its development is ongoing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: December 16, 2016, 02:46:02 pm »

Just in case anyone is interested Dominions 4 is on sale on Gamersgate for 85% off.  https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA-STEAM/  For the next 6 days...

That is an awesome deal.

Is the game worth playing though, if I don't do multiplayer and much prefer singleplayer? I'd probably play for a while, then get a bunch of mods. I know there is a lot of mods to choose from for Dominions 4, and those almost always spruce up the singleplayer experience.
Is it worth playing, for five bucks? You bet your olives. It's not really better than a typical strategy game, in my opinion, if you only play singleplayer. But it's still well worth the sale price and the time that a couple playthroughs will take.

The AI has been quietly improving with the assorted patches the game has received, as JK keeps picking away at it.

I found the UnitGen metamod helped keep Dom3 single-player fresh and interesting. I feel conflicted about being the one to bring up its Dom4 continuation/successor NationGen, but I do know there are a fair number of people who have said they like it for SP in addition to those who use it for MP, and I can certainly attest that its development is ongoing...
Nationgen is fun to mix things up, but there's enough nations in the base game that you don't really need to add random ones without lore. If you're only playing single player, you're unlikely to play more than a few score games anyway. Another reason I'd put it on par with other good strategy games if only played as single-player.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: December 16, 2016, 03:04:07 pm »

At 85% off, you basically have to grab it if you have any appreciation at all for the strategic genre. I've started out playing this game solely singleplayer, and there's just untold amounts of strategic breadth you can explore with the variety of nations and spells and everything. Multiplayer is, as usual, an entire different kind of ball game, but the AI is competent enough to challenge you at the outset, and there's many, many means to give it an additional advantage.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: December 16, 2016, 04:05:40 pm »

Honestly, if it wasn't somewhat inconvenient for me to order through GG, I'd buy a couple copies and dump them into the Christmas exchange thread just to try to spread the plague a bit. This is a ridiculously good deal.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:18 pm »

Damn, I just bought it a few days ago with the 30% off on Steam and I thought I got a good deal. I'm really enjoying it so far and as far as I can tell the devs deserve the money I give them. The mechanics seem well done but I want to try multiplayer.

If I understand correctly this is all done through LlamaServer, if I'm not mistaken? I see the Bay12 game is still waiting for players. Is there any room for a noob? ;D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: December 16, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »

Damn, I just bought it a few days ago with the 30% off on Steam and I thought I got a good deal. I'm really enjoying it so far and as far as I can tell the devs deserve the money I give them. The mechanics seem well done but I want to try multiplayer.

If I understand correctly this is all done through LlamaServer, if I'm not mistaken? I see the Bay12 game is still waiting for players. Is there any room for a noob? ;D
There's ALWAYS room for a noob. ;D

The map's got 11 starts, we have 8 players in, so we technically have room for 3 more. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: December 16, 2016, 04:34:54 pm »

Almost all. People will do direct connect games too, which take about a weekend but usually end because people run out of time to play. There's also blitzserver, which is a newer in-development thing for the game. By newer, I mean it's been around for a year or two, but it's still mostly in testing and refinement rather than general use.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: December 16, 2016, 05:34:52 pm »

Almost all. People will do direct connect games too, which take about a weekend but usually end because people run out of time to play. There's also blitzserver, which is a newer in-development thing for the game. By newer, I mean it's been around for a year or two, but it's still mostly in testing and refinement rather than general use.
There's also direct multiplay via dropbox and similar solutions. Usually requires an unusually high level of trust between players as it means everybody can technically see and control everybody else's nations (because entering a password every time is tedious). Also everyone can host.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: December 17, 2016, 05:29:12 am »

Last minute call for

Bay12GamesRound425 

we got a slot open, all info in the thread.

###

I successfully forced it on one person, shall see if it sticks.
I found the best advertisement for the game to be the story you can often tell after a game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: December 17, 2016, 06:03:18 am »

Sometimes it's a story, sometimes it's just a Bean Sidhe assassin decked out in artifact gear.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2984 on: December 17, 2016, 03:23:37 pm »

When a spell gives an AoE, is it in actual squares? Or is it like AP (two points for orthogonal, three for diagonal.)?
Check out my books at O and H Books
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 236