Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523987 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3180 on: April 27, 2017, 10:23:12 am »

Dominions sales used to be the stuff of legends, obscure myths and children's fairy tales... But they've actually been reasonably decent about putting on good sales as of late. I picked it up at 75% off, personally.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: April 27, 2017, 10:54:10 am »

In 2015 and 2016, they had two sales in May and June at around 40-50% off (Steamdb).  On the one hand, people who extrapolate from two data points should be smacked with a rolled-up newspaper.  On the other hand, I like these odds. 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:17 am »

Yeah, I've been watching some LPs on it, and it looks surprisingly deep and complex. I hope they throw a sale sometime soon
Surprisingly? The franchise has been in regular development since like 2000.

Dominions sales used to be the stuff of legends, obscure myths and children's fairy tales... But they've actually been reasonably decent about putting on good sales as of late. I picked it up at 75% off, personally.
Used to be there was no such thing as a Dominions sale, but they got out from under their shitty publisher just prior to releasing Dom4. That's also why 3 (and 4) are on Steam now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:30 am »

Intrest check for the next game (round 27)

Map: Anything that falls in the "10-20" Provinces/player Area
Mods: Worthy Heroes 5.5
Era: Early Age
Disciples: Nah?
Graphs: Off
Story Events: Off
Random Events: Common
Hall of Fame: 15
Special Site Frequency: 60

If I can get 3 intrested players I'll open up the thread, otherwise we'll give it a few weeks - games can be very exhausting.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: May 02, 2017, 06:19:36 am »

I, for one, feel all dominionsed out right now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: May 02, 2017, 11:29:48 am »

On the other hand, having abstained from the last few rounds, I'm suffering from an acute Dominions deficiency right now.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: May 02, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »

4.26a is looking for a sub. This is a NationGen game, for a sobek & bandar water-blood-death nation (sobek werebears, woo!). We're in the early lategame right now (turn 50), and the nation is described as having a lot of resources but has also staled a lot, and will probably take some skill to come back with. I.e., moderate proficiency or better.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: May 03, 2017, 02:18:42 am »

I, for one, feel all dominionsed out right now.
It happens, doesn't it? I'm probably out of the game for a few months more for the same reason. Well, depending on how much time the gig I have lined up for the summer takes. Could be more than a few.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:10 am »

Bumping this to hopefully drum up some interest in the 4.26a sub - I'd like to get the turns flowing again... I'm jonesing here, man!

Normally this is where I'd extoll the virtues of the nation in question, but I basically have no contact, and, due to an oversight on my part (oh, that's right, cave provinces actually do have a bunch of commanders that can act as scouts), my scout network is crap; so I've got no idea how it's doing, how strong its troops are, or any of that. Plus side - there's at least one nation you're not at war with!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: May 22, 2017, 05:02:03 pm »

Another option for multiplayer games: a tool to generate random maps for dominions games. You give it a list of the nations playing and it supposedly builds a balanced map around that, taking into account everyone's terrain needs and whatnot. There's a few limitations with the map generation: it gives a set number of throne provinces equal to the number of players (though you can make it higher in the game settings), not every number of players is supported, and it looks like the maps could be on the small side (depending on your taste); plus, the program only supports Windows at the moment. Despite that, it seems like a potentially useful tool. It might be fun to try out some of these maps in a game here sometime.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: May 22, 2017, 05:20:15 pm »

As far as "on the small side" goes, you can sorta get around that with "generic starts" and setting the number of nations higher than you want, though you then get more thrones as well. It is strange that there's no option to specify how many provinces per nation, though.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: May 22, 2017, 05:44:49 pm »

Well, to generate "balanced" maps, you have to first define balance which must include answers to questions like "on which turn should you first encounter another player?" This of course affects the map size. It seems that at the moment this is a tool to generate maps for a particular kind of game, and it may not serve all comers. That said, it is still in development, so hopefully we'll see more options to customize map generation in the future.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: May 22, 2017, 06:12:37 pm »

Intrest check for the next game (round 27)

Map: Anything that falls in the "10-20" Provinces/player Area
Mods: Worthy Heroes 5.5
Era: Early Age
Disciples: Nah?
Graphs: Off
Story Events: Off
Random Events: Common
Hall of Fame: 15
Special Site Frequency: 60

If I can get 3 intrested players I'll open up the thread, otherwise we'll give it a few weeks - games can be very exhausting.

I'm in.  Probably fomoria or ctis
Shoes...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: May 23, 2017, 04:41:13 am »

What purpose does the "Ruined Halls of the Mountain King" serve? Just an empty site?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: May 23, 2017, 04:54:57 am »

Is there a good guide on strategies for middle age C'tis? They fascinate me, but I have no idea how to play them properly and I wind up falling the moment people wise up and deal with my runner flanks.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 236