Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523989 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3240 on: July 17, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »

He ded. Like so ded.
Oh dear. That's so unfortunate for him.

Another Q: which item(s) can make a non-stealthy commander stealthy?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »

The Shademail Haubergeon is the only non-artifact item that can do this.

And even with artifacts the Amulet of the Doppelganger is the only one of those that'll do this too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 21, 2017, 06:14:55 am »

Man, I've been playing this for years, and there are still so many things I don't know. Or maybe I used to know these, and then forgot.

Anyway, here's another one:

Say, you have a fatigue-neutral unit, and you cast quickness on it. Does it mean it is now no longer fatigue-neutral because it attacks more often/round? Or does mean it's still neutral, since it 'acts' more often per round, so that any reinvigoration it may have is also applied more often?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 21, 2017, 10:14:06 am »

Reinvigoration only happens once per turn, so the unit will gain fatigue.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 21, 2017, 12:03:46 pm »

How does one kill a reassembled prince? I've been having quite some problems with this.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »

How does one kill a reassembled prince? I've been having quite some problems with this.
He's immortal, so you'll have to kill him outside of his domain to keep him down. Either lure him to your domain (or anyone else's, although it's hard to tell one enemy dominion from another), or get some priests and start preaching.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »

Mass horror marking can help with persistent immortals as well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:27 pm »

As can sending them to the Underworld, if the game is late and means are available.

If they're not lifeless, there's also forced shapechanging, ehehehe...

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 22, 2017, 03:57:34 am »

Purchased this on steam sometime ago, but suddenly I realise I have no friends to play it with (should've thought about that in the first place), yet some people say it's better played in multiplayer mode rather than just versus the AI. Nevertheless, will this game be enjoyable to me if I'm only going to play it alone?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:03:18 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 22, 2017, 04:23:49 am »

Purchased this on steam sometime ago, but suddenly I realise I have no friends to play it with (should've thought about that in the first place), yet some people say it's better played in multiplayer mode rather than just versus the AI. Nevertheless, will this game be enjoyable to me if I'm only going to play it alone?

A majority of my games are spent alone, and I still find it to be incredibly fun. Multiplayer is better in the sense that Dominions 4, like any good strategy game, is not a game of rigid, fixed strategies, but more like a canvas that you paint your strategies onto. It has a very free style of gameplay that only really comes out with other players.

The AI doesn't grasp the subtle metastratgies that a human can perform, but it's suitably competent and can still provide fun and memorable battles. Besides, even if you don't like singleplayer, since it's a turn based game all you need is to find someone who is willing to play with you. I'm sure there's quite a few people here who would enjoy it.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 22, 2017, 07:06:55 am »

Any particular reason why you'd need to be playing specifically with friends? We've pretty much always got ~two games running here, and always welcome new blood. (Although you'll want to check which mods the game is running before you join - I'm not certain I'd recommend playing a NationGen game as your first step into Dominions multiplayer.)  :P

That said, the AI isn't horrible - just don't expect it to pull off the crazy shit that other players will.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 22, 2017, 07:08:48 am »

it'll still be fun for a while, you just won't get much more out of it than a typical strategy game.

A majority of my games are spent alone, and I still find it to be incredibly fun. Multiplayer is better in the sense that Dominions 4, like any good strategy game, is not a game of rigid, fixed strategies, but more like a canvas that you paint your strategies onto. It has a very free style of gameplay that only really comes out with other players.

The AI doesn't grasp the subtle metastratgies that a human can perform, but it's suitably competent and can still provide fun and memorable battles. Besides, even if you don't like singleplayer, since it's a turn based game all you need is to find someone who is willing to play with you. I'm sure there's quite a few people here who would enjoy it.
The AI is only really going to be challenging if you're not very good with magic, which is sort of the meat of the game. If course, you probably won't get good at magic of you just play against AI, so it's not like you can't have fun, you'll just be missing out on a major dimension of the game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:13 am »

JK has consistently worked to improve the AI over the last few years, and it does do things (magic included) better than it used to. Dom4 SP is a lot more rewarding than Dom<4 SP. It's still a static opponent without the focused understanding experienced players have, but it's not completely hopeless.

(Although you'll want to check which mods the game is running before you join - I'm not certain I'd recommend playing a NationGen game as your first step into Dominions multiplayer.)

I'm slightly concerned that over the last 6mo or so there's been some movement in the community (not here, but elsewhere) towards the big balance/content mods that smacks unpleasantly of Dom3-era CBM attitudes. <sigh>

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »

JK has consistently worked to improve the AI over the last few years, and it does do things (magic included) better than it used to. Dom4 SP is a lot more rewarding than Dom<4 SP. It's still a static opponent without the focused understanding experienced players have, but it's not completely hopeless.
Well, perhaps my perspective is out of date, but it's definitely been the case in Dom 4 that see AI couldn't adapt to much of anything.

(Although you'll want to check which mods the game is running before you join - I'm not certain I'd recommend playing a NationGen game as your first step into Dominions multiplayer.)

I'm slightly concerned that over the last 6mo or so there's been some movement in the community (not here, but elsewhere) towards the big balance/content mods that smacks unpleasantly of Dom3-era CBM attitudes. <sigh>
[/quote]Not sure what you're talking about with moving towards anything, since people have been trying to get out a good balance mod literally since the game launched, and before that was CBM. There's a couple big content mods, like Magic Expanded, which are somewhat popular for use as a game's defining gimmick, but I haven't seen anything going beyond that level.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: July 22, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »

It's probably just a matter of overhaul mods becoming more mature and the length of time since a content update growing, but it feels like there's increased acceptance of the idea that vanilla needs a grand-scale balance/overhaul patch. That sentiment was really strong when Dom4 first was released ("thanks", CBM), but it faded fairly quickly. It seems to be creeping back out of the shadows, though.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 236