Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 571305 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1944 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6375 on: June 09, 2018, 11:17:27 am »

I know that this will be very hard but I feel lucky

UFAF-ARS-44 "Shield Maiden" Definitve I believe:(2) Wizgrot, Piratejoe
Tiger Armor 2:(1) Kashyyk
Saltseeker:(1) eS
UF-PTB-44 "Kurtz":(1)
Valkyrie:(0)
UF-GCS-44 "Shield Maiden" Pattern IV.(1) Quake
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6376 on: June 09, 2018, 04:06:46 pm »

I will vote for the Tiger II if a ballistic shield is added.
Why in god's name would you want that, they barely find utility with law enforcement these days let alone on the battlefield

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: June 09, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »

All of their naval equipment becomes cheaper this turn.

They already have a naval advantage.  They're going to get a Major Naval Advantage unless we design a weapon specifically for countering enemy ships.

This concludes my short essay on why we need to finally build an ASM.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: June 09, 2018, 05:05:57 pm »

There is an issue with ASM eS, they can be countered by aa. Just fire enough bullets and the missile will be hit and the ship sunk. If we want a anti ship weapon we need torpedoes, specifically Acoustic torpedoes, as anything in the water that has a acoustic torp after it is dead unless it's a submarine. We should have an update to our torpedoes anyway, it's been forever since we last touched them.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: June 09, 2018, 05:17:29 pm »

Saltseeker:(1) eS, Happerry

If "just fire enough bullets' worked, especially with this timeline's current tech base, missiles wouldn't be the annoyingly deadly weapon they actually are in real life.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: June 09, 2018, 05:25:09 pm »

They are actually, at least when it comes to Anti ship missiles. Just said enough bullets are hundreds per second and usually supported by high tech radar like what we would do with the shield maiden. The other thing thats good at taking out missiles are...other missiles...and I think our enemy is better at making missiles then us.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: June 09, 2018, 06:48:13 pm »

Saltseeker:(3) eS, Happerry, Stabby

To add onto the "fire enough bullets" arguement, if they spend a design to counter on of ours we still gain a advantage, along with more missile experience will be useful if we gain uranium even if just for dirty bombs.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: June 09, 2018, 07:09:35 pm »

Do we have missile defences for our boats?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: June 09, 2018, 07:13:39 pm »

Do we have missile defences for our boats?

We have AAA, which according to piratejoe should make them immune.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: June 09, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »

Please note that PJ's comments are not based in history or reality or historical reality, so, yeah.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: June 09, 2018, 07:21:56 pm »

It doesn't make them immune. I'm just saying that the last line of defense when it comes to anti ship missiles is literally a shit ton of bullets, and considering what we make will probably be nothing like modern missiles, a guy on a MG gun might be able to kill it. Of course, if we actually make a semi decent missile that goes past mach 1, we probably will be fine but...I doubt we will be doing that.

And madman, my comments are based in history and reality, you just are lost in the past of the first world war and not the cold war, which we basically are going to at an alarming rate. Besides, unless you don't consider a close in weapon system something that fires a shit ton of bullets, well, I'm right, a shit ton of bullets works.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:25:19 pm by piratejoe »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: June 09, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »

It works IF you have computer-controlled radar guidance and a rotary 20mm autocannon with proximity-fused ammunition, sometimes. But modern militaries do everything possible to PREVENT those defenses from activating, because they're not foolproof. A supersonic missile is FAR too fast for a guy on an MG to track.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: June 09, 2018, 08:18:25 pm »

The issue is I worry we wont make something supersonic...That and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Cannala pulled out a AK-630 just like that with a 6 saying "Lol, nice try spuds." or something.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: June 09, 2018, 10:12:45 pm »

CIWS's aren't an end-all counter to ASM's.  Even modern ones struggle to stop missile strikes, and that's with full-broadside CIWS spray.

Besides, what are we worried about? That we'll reverse the better-weapon/better-counter fight we've been losing for the past ten turns? That Cannala will waste turns with defensive weapons that don't expand their tech tree?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: June 09, 2018, 11:18:18 pm »

I am worried about an anti-missile design that will only protect some of our military. If it protects everything, then I am interested, otherwise, it feels like something for a revision?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 500