Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 299740 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:50 am »

Welp, I was stumbling around my google drive, and found this.
I have no idea what inspired me to write this, nor the reason for the sudden cut off.

But yeah - just though I'd post something as I haven't really had the time to write recently.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 28, 2014, 04:55:50 pm »

Spoiler: Story Snippet Thing (click to show/hide)

Alexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 29, 2014, 07:52:52 am »

I had a cool idea for a story and I felt like writing some of it out.  Might be extended into something longer if the mood strikes me.  Let me know what you think, I haven't really edited it yet, so it probably still needs some work.

Spoiler: Coffin (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #768 on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:38 am »

I liked that. It would be nice if you could continue writing that, but explaining the situation more. It was a pretty good appetizer, giving me a taste of the situation and your writing style and leaving me wanting more.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 29, 2014, 08:52:05 am »

I figured I should post my random flash fiction.

Prompt was: "Spill a small secret you never told anyone before in third person."

Spoiler: Scent (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:32:47 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Alexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20:45 am »

I ended up continuing on that idea I had a few posts above.  Warning:  Much longer than the last one.  It took a weird turn that I wasn't expecting about halfway through.

Spoiler: Coffin: Chapter 1 (click to show/hide)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »

Okay, I'm definitely not an excellent writer (I would say "not a good writer" but according to some people I am) and I'm not good at giving critiques, but due to the lack of any writing competition lately I figured I'm a better candidate than silence. I mean, silence is always such a meaniebutt! >:C

Short-ish Fiction Contest: Draigcorp Objectcorp Edition 2014
"Turns out it takes a few takeovers and assassins."

Rules
Your story must be greater than 250 words.
Your story must be less than 10,000 words. (Translated into average paperback pages, that's ~40 pages.)
Your story must be submitted before Sunday at whenever-I-start-grading (and preferably earlier) to be considered.
Your story must respond to the prompt (in some way) in order to be considered for grading.
You cannot win twice in a row. You may be ranked first, but you can't get the benefits of 'winning'.
You can submit a story either in the thread or by pm. If you submit by PM, your story will remain anonymous.

You Can
Submit stories from a larger body of work, as long as they fall within the word limits.
Write in any kind of style you feel like. I really don't give a damn and I've read pretty much anything.
Write poetry. Bear in mind that, like Draignean, I'm not exactly a good judge of poetry either unless said prompt is scenery. As before, poetry is exempt from the minimum word count limit.

You Cannot
Write stories of graphic sexuality. Forum rules, blah blah blah. Keep Reginald's quivering member to yourself. Sex is fine, just don't make it the centerpiece of the story.
Write nonfiction. I don't care if it's a spectacular history of central Asia that explains Kazakhstan's multi-vector politics AND somehow fits the prompt. NO. Bad brain!
Submit the exact same story twice, even if it fits two prompts. You must evidence clear and substantial revisions before you can re-enter an old piece.

How this Works

Every week there will be a prompt submitted. You then have the rest of the week to work on your story. You can submit anytime between the start of the contest and the Sunday the week after the contest begins. The deadline for stories is the end of that sunday. (8-14 day window) If you post after that deadline then I won't consider your story for the rankings and you can use it another time.
   That sunday, or in the week following, I will declare someone a winner and rank the rest of the stories. I will provide critique along with each piece. It may not be substantial, but I guarantee you that I will read it and point out the parts of it that I think work best and the parts that need the most work. I will avoid being mean, but I will also avoid telling you something is awesome when I think it needs work.
   Then, after I declare a winner, that person declares the next prompt. Then the process repeats. If the winner doesn't post a prompt by the end of Monday, I will post one that night. The winner can also waive the right to make their own prompt, but I can't imagine anyone doing that. I may also veto the winner's prompt and write a new one of the occasion calls for it. Fanfic, since it you need knowledge to write in it, is a banned category for prompts. (Not, however, for stories.)

Prompts 1. Submissions open 5/1 - 5/11

Prompt:  Same, but different.

The story must take place in a world where humans and civilization exist and is similar to us, but with a certain fact of life taken for granted in our common day different. Other fantasy/sci-fi elements not relating to this "change" itself is discouraged, but not banned.

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:43:30 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 01, 2014, 01:42:38 am »

I wish I hadn't been too lazy to do the last one. Oh well.

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:28 am »

I somehow didn't see this before. I enjoy writing, so I might make a thing later and put it here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 02, 2014, 12:32:15 pm »

Low quality but eh.
Spoiler: The Beastmen (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 03, 2014, 08:34:09 am »

Low quality but eh.
This doesn't look related to the contest, but I'm not sure.
If it isn't, I can provide some feedback. Possibly.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 03, 2014, 08:41:40 am »

Low quality but eh.
This doesn't look related to the contest, but I'm not sure.
If it isn't, I can provide some feedback. Possibly.

It was, yeah, but obviously not well enough. What if people lived in water rather than on land.
Basically this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 03, 2014, 08:43:04 am »

Well, I initially planned for the prompt to be characterized by lack of something more than subtle changes, but now that I think of it maybe I should just update the prompt to be more broad.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 06, 2014, 10:44:34 pm »

Sorry, not a submission, but a story I wrote recently. Ridiculous science is used and God is discussed.  I thought it was okay.
Spoiler: Limited Omniscient (click to show/hide)
Ander isn't supposed to be a play on Ender, but a reference to the Greek Andreas or Man.
Appreciate comments
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 11, 2014, 10:24:28 pm »

Sorry for the kind-of necro, but I'd like to PtW to read any writing submitted, and perhaps post one of my short stories if I ever get around to actually finishing them.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 130