Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1080085 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11745 on: August 28, 2015, 05:09:02 am »

I recently played on the EU server, and the player number was nice.
You always had some 64+ vs 64+ players battle going on somewhere, with many tanks and air support, but if you wanted something more calm, there were places with 4-16 vs 4-16 battles.

But the gameplay sometimes feels a bit weird. It's fast paced but not really. I don't know how to explain :/
It's faster than a Coutner-Strike, but slower than a Quake. Didn't really like it, personally.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11746 on: August 28, 2015, 05:13:29 am »

I was looking at this, but I might balk a bit at the system requirements. My system is about... half of the minimum specs.
I ran this with a Core 2 Quad (2.4GHz) and a 9800GT for quite a while. It wasn't perfect, and large battles were kinda iffy, but it was certainly quite playable.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:34 am »

Started up again now that I have a computer that can run it.
Does anyone else have problems with framerate after spawning into a new area? I'm talking a couple of minutes of very stuttery framerate, going between running fine for a few seconds then hanging.

EDIT: Never mind, that was just me using integrated graphics but leaving the setting like it was for a dicrete card.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:38:02 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »

I wish they would stop focusing on integrated graphics in processors and start focusing on processors in processors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: August 28, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like processors...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: August 28, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »

I wish they would stop focusing on integrated graphics in processors and start focusing on processors in processors.
They make sense for the majority of the market, which is work computers. It's not as though the integrated graphics make the processor much more expensive either, if you ignore the costs of R&D.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: August 28, 2015, 03:44:41 pm »

Do work computers use a lot of graphics processing power? I thought it was moreso because of laptops and mobile devices.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: August 28, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »

They need something don't they?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11753 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:02 pm »

Tried it. The tutorial(such as it was) ran fairly slow, but playable. Tried to get in on the game proper, it took 15 minutes to load, then played less than 1fps. Too bad, it looked fun.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:39 pm »

Do work computers use a lot of graphics processing power? I thought it was moreso because of laptops and mobile devices.

Depends on what your work is d=

In seriousness, most don't, but there has to be SOMETHING with a VGA or DVI out.  Most work PCs don't run anything more graphically intensive than the occasional Flash presentation.  Any external GFX card would be a waste of money, and when you are buying 1000 PCs or more, that extra thirty bucks per unit adds up fast.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: August 29, 2015, 01:35:15 am »

I just got Planetside 2 on the PS4. I don't suppose any other B12ers have it for that platform?

Not that I know of. How well does it play? What are the server populations like?

It probably wouldn't be too hard to get a few people playing, with the current CoD:BO3 beta being the flavour of the FPS month. Just tell anyone without a key that there's an awesome free FPS with jetpacks and wallrunning and stuff. Slightly larger than 16v16 servers too!

Wait, they added wallrunning? Damn, I might have to dive back in now that I've got a rig that can squeeze more than 30fps out of it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11756 on: August 29, 2015, 01:44:52 am »

As far as I know it's not so much wallruning as it is exploiting near-vertical surfaces and the way the game handles player movement on these surfaces. You can run along a cliff face perfectly fine, and in some cases you can jump up certain barriers that aren't completely vertical but you shouldn't really be able to jump over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCpQ4h5sGA

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11757 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:44 am »

Oh hey, the uninstaller for this is broken too.

EDIT: Nevermind, you have to uninstall from the launcher.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:48:03 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: August 29, 2015, 12:58:40 pm »

I sadly realized that I neither want to pay for or play without membership or an XP boost, so I've havent touched PS2 in some months now. It's too bad, but the grind in this game is beyond horrific on unboosted accounts :(

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11759 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:40 pm »

A wise man once said:
"git gud scrub"

Or to look at it differently, a cert is 250xp. Most upgrade lines end at well under 2000certs total, so let's go with that as a worst case. That's still only 500000xp. Despite how awful I am at the game, I have averaged 100xp/min, meaning that it would take a bit over 80 hours to completely flesh out this pretty expensive set of upgrades.
But of course as you play more and get more stuff you're more capable of racking up points quicker, on top of the cert bonuses for other stuff. The guy at the top of the leaderboards has 850xp/min, so yeah. Lots of room to get better.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 826