Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator Released  (Read 4073 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator Released
« on: July 22, 2023, 08:58:16 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

So here's that. Like giving more importance to plain troops as an idea. But it probably will mean that in cases where it didn't matter whether you have 100 or 200 footmen, you will have those 200 footmen.  :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 09:39:09 pm by MCreeper »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator Announced
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 09:07:01 am »

And here I was wondering the other day if there will be 6th game soon :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator Announced
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 03:18:05 am »

Looks like there'll be more Dimensions / Planes. And a complete new spell school. I like the more COE5 like UI.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator Released
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 09:48:49 pm »

May as well bump this, eh? Although there is already discussion going in playthrough thread.

I remember someone snarking about game-breaking power creep seeping into CoE5's technical part when I ranted about it's nonsensical in-mods-bugginness. Don't know about power creep in CoE, but in Dominions it shows. Only select few units had invisibility, before devs dropped a whole nation of invisibles in Dom5 (and Ubar in general is power creepy as heck). In Dom6 there at least some means to obtain it on things that didn't have it in first place, and means to counteract seem widespread. A bit silly that the very first buff of Glamour is to disregard any other Glamour buffs the other guy may have.

EDIT: Why did they have to follow the trend of thinly spreading interface over edges of the screen, dear god... And recruit and army setup hotkeys are right next to unrebindable end turn button.
Looks like they sweetened arena deal. Winner of this one got about 400 gold and 22 fire gems in addition to artifact. Order of fighting is still weird though. Angakok went in and massacred almost everyone, finishing with mutual kill against abyssian slayer. Then king of both worlds fought rain priest and won.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:05:31 pm by MCreeper »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 11:45:51 pm »

I also dislike the UI changes. Of course, UI changes always feel bad until you get used to them, but even so it feels like a real step back in usability on a already ropey UI. I've heard some people say it's a good thing in the long run because it'll force you to learn the hotkeys (and I'll admit 1000 hours into dom 5 I didn't learn the hotkeys for the basic stuff) but honestly fuck that. Gimme both hotkeys and a useable UI. I've got enough to learn and think about when playing the game, I don't need too add learning hotkeys on top of that.

Also yeah, it is weird that they've nerffed a bunch of bless stuff and then put in a bunch of efficient looking glamour blesses that are then in turn countered by glamour. Honestly though I think a lot of strategy is going to be different enough that it'll take a while to shake out what blesses are good and what aren't, so it's too hard to make a judgement on glamour blesses yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:47:56 pm by Criptfeind »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 12:49:20 am »

Planning on giving it a deeper dive this weekend, it's been six years since 5 released so I'm excited to check out everything.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 12:54:39 am »

Can't believe it has been 6 or something years since Dom5 already. Dom4 is one of my fave MP strategy games with 250h+. Dom5 didn't resonate as much (only managed to get 6h) due to the bless build focus. Are they still there in Dom6? Is there a new focus? Price is a bit hefty, but will be a given buy at some point.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 01:01:58 am »

Judging by what they say in the changes section the focus looks like it's going to be bigger armies? I've noticed that some powerful bless units in 5 now cost 2 sacred points to recruit as well. Haven't looked too deeply into it otherwise.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 01:15:41 am »

Can't believe it has been 6 or something years since Dom5 already. Dom4 is one of my fave MP strategy games with 250h+. Dom5 didn't resonate as much (only managed to get 6h) due to the bless build focus. Are they still there in Dom6? Is there a new focus? Price is a bit hefty, but will be a given buy at some point.
I think anyone who told you at this point that they know for sure what the focus and meta are going to shake out to be is lying, it's too complicated a game to really know after just two days. But I'll say from my playing around (in single player or blitz with a friend, so no serious games yet) it feels much harder to get a overpowering bless going. Between the meta statresist blesses being nerfed and scales being restricted so you can only take +2 to -2 in creation and thus can't minmax your pretender as hard, I think that at the least the good sacred to rainbow bless pipeline is less immediately obvious for many nations.

The focus from a design perspective looks like it is suppose to be larger armies supported by midtier large aoe battlemagic. Of course, it might not end up that way, we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 01:17:13 am by Criptfeind »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:26:54 am »

Okay, now I am confused because my capital of nazca hit 5 sloth and a lot of places in my dominion? I didn't even know that was possible and I am not even sure how it happened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 07:52:47 am »

It's a bug, I've seen a couple of people mentioned it thus far.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 08:38:46 am »

Alternative Theory: Labor Day

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 11:12:47 am »

It seems crazy that we're already up to 6 - I somehow managed to totally miss out on 5.

Hopeful to hear good things.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 11:43:54 am »

Just some sillyness.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She didn't beat 800 motherfucking starving jotuns on her lonesome, but it took retreat penalty, turn limit darkness, shield breakage and few luckily placed disposessed spirits to bring her down. Mostly because she got awe helmet from another arena fight between screen and battle.

And some suiciding, I guess. I never learn to lightning-proof dudes with chain lightning.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 02:59:59 pm »

I sort of read the update notes. Is there now better random map gen? Like you get to set a pre-form for it to generate around.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3