Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 Released  (Read 243226 times)

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 Released
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »

'bug' report tracking wagons blocked by traps: 5927
There's speculation that it came in with v08 as a side effect of track stops.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2012, 05:53:28 am »

It's probably in there to make it more challenging to keep your fort safe during caravan time.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2012, 06:41:32 am »

It's probably in there to make it more challenging to keep your fort safe during caravan time.

What is good ideas but it was not listed in changelog of new version, so it is probably unintentional.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 07:13:17 am »

Is anyone else having a problem with marksdwarves training? Mine won't actually move to the range, they just stand still with the job description "going to archery practice". Not sure if it's a bug with the new version or just a problem with the save I transferred from the last one.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 08:19:39 am »

vidboi,  the problem I seem to have is that I've got a whole archery range and a good sized squad of marksdwarves...and maybe one will shoot a few bolts every once in a while.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2012, 08:42:15 am »

vidboi,  the problem I seem to have is that I've got a whole archery range and a good sized squad of marksdwarves...and maybe one will shoot a few bolts every once in a while.
Any word on whether the archery ranges are still borked? It used to be, at least, so you had to make an archery range out of every target you want the marksdorfs to practice on...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »

Any word on whether the archery ranges are still borked? It used to be, at least, so you had to make an archery range out of every target you want the marksdorfs to practice on...

Yeah, you still have to designate each archery target individually, which I've done, but none of my markdwarves will train as despite getting the job they don't move to the range, and even when stationed on the range and then deactivated they'll get the "archery practice" job but won't fire. I'll have to try again with a different fort to see if it's just a bugged save.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »

Could it be a problem with the designations where you need to put a wall or something solid in between each "archery range" so they're not overlapped?  I'm at work so I can't check it out right now.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

Also, only thing I could suggest, do they have bolts that allow them to practice with, available? And do they have quivers? And of course crossbows for everyone...

(Although that said, I don't know if they can even get the job designation if they don't have all the equipment.)

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »

Also, only thing I could suggest, do they have bolts that allow them to practice with, available? And do they have quivers? And of course crossbows for everyone...

(Although that said, I don't know if they can even get the job designation if they don't have all the equipment.)

Yep yep and yep. I checked their inventory and they all have crossboes and quivers with bolts in. They don't cancel the job, they just don't actually do it, instead they just stand still. It's very puzzling. I've generated a new world and tried it in that and I still have this problem.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2012, 07:55:08 am »

Yeah, you still have to designate each archery target individually, which I've done, but none of my markdwarves will train as despite getting the job they don't move to the range, and even when stationed on the range and then deactivated they'll get the "archery practice" job but won't fire. I'll have to try again with a different fort to see if it's just a bugged save.

Stationing them certainly won't help.  It's a totally different job from "Archery practice", so if anything it's just confusing them.

I haven't used archery ranges in eons, but one other thing I remember is that there has to be an unbroken walkable path from the point where the dwarf is supposed to stand to the target.  No digging a channel for the bolts to fall into -- that stops them from firing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2012, 09:22:26 am »

So here's what I just did and got a number of dwarves practicing:

O=Rock or Wall
X=target
V=Door
p=stockpile
+=floor

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each "X" is designated up its one tile wide channel as an archery range...it turns out the door in the middle of the four is superfluous but I kept it anyways. The stockpile is no-bins, all bolts.  Each archery range is set to "T" for my marksdwarf squad. 

It took a few months for the dwarves to become aware of it...but now that they did...BINGO, I've got three or four at once, all practicing away...this is a huge improvement...I'm glad I looked into this thread!!

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

Yeah, but if I wanted to make it more challenging, I just wouldn't make traps.

I got bears charging my depot for sweet, sweet booze and they're being wasted by being killed instead of getting brainwashed into my fort's service  >:(

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:43 am »

I got bears charging my depot for sweet, sweet booze and they're being wasted by being killed instead of getting brainwashed into my fort's service  >:(

Long ways are your friend. Make a long long way for the wagons, with a few twists and one or two short ones 1 tile wide to the depot and fill them with traps. Place the occasional bridges in between too for additional safety just in case some vile force of darkness with a huge huge number appears and then it's all good. The bears will most likely take the shortest route to their booze and get successfully caged.

If not: close the bridge that secures your depot on the wagon way and force the bears to move out the narrow cage trap way.

Pretty easy and fine solution tbh.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:41 am »

Stationing them certainly won't help.  It's a totally different job from "Archery practice", so if anything it's just confusing them.

I haven't used archery ranges in eons, but one other thing I remember is that there has to be an unbroken walkable path from the point where the dwarf is supposed to stand to the target.  No digging a channel for the bolts to fall into -- that stops them from firing.

As in I used the station command to move them to the archery range and then cancelled it. They produce the job "archery practice" but don't actually fire. There aren't any obstructions to the range, and I've tried it in a brand new world gen to the same effect.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15