Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nidhogg  (Read 1689 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Nidhogg
« on: July 23, 2013, 04:03:39 am »

Nidhogg is a game is a two-player game about fencing. The two players start off facing one another, both armed with swords. The player who kills the other is allowed to move on to the next screen, where the second player will have another opportunity to stop him. If one player reaches the end of the screen that the other player is 'guarding', he gets a point, and the whole thing starts all over again. The combat and movement mechanics are similar to the original Prince of Persia DOS games, but the latest updates have made the game's combat much more responsive, smooth, and intuitive.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Both players are armed with a sword. They can stab high or low to get around the enemy's guard, or throw their sword if their opponent's guard is down. If you're disarmed you can try sliding under or jumping over your opponent, either to retrieve another weapon or move on to the next screen. There's more moves than I can count, so its probably better if you just watch someone play the game. Gotta love that soundtrack as well.

PC Gamer Article - A very brief article about the game.
IndieGames Web Blog Article - A detailed article about the current state of the game.
Developer Website - Not much to see here, but you can subscribe for updates.
EGGNOGG - A spinoff game by a different developer with similar mechanics.

Apparently the dev is pretty nuts about making this game great. He won the 2011 IGF award and then never released it, preferring to hold it back while he put it through further updates.

For the past three or so years the game has only been available to play on Winnitron arcade cabinets at conventions, but the developer has stated that it will be appearing this year on Steam with a single-player game mode as well as online game modes. In addition he mentioned that there would be more moves, and possibly different weapons.

None of my words can do this game justice though. You must watch the gameplay. Just follow the link I've posted at the end of the second paragraph to see it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:58:14 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Nidhogg
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:33 am »

That game looks like it would have been a cult classic in the arcade era. I miss the arcade era. A bit. Then my pockets remind me why I shouldn't.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:07:58 am »

That game looks like it would have been a cult classic in the arcade era.

Given its predecessors... It had its shot.

Not every good game is going to get good game sales.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:23:29 am »

What do you mean?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:29 am »

What do you mean?

Beyond Good and Evil

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:56 am »

What do you mean?

Beyond Good and Evil
Yeah I was disappointed about how well that went down, but not surprised at all.

On-Topic: So is no one really interested about this game? I'm pretty stoked for it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:36:37 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:42 am »

It is an extremely simple game. It seems like the sort of game I'd have to try myself before I could really say anything about it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:52:50 am »

Aw man, seeing this thread made me think it was finally released. Oh well, at least we know it's coming this year.

It is an extremely simple game. It seems like the sort of game I'd have to try myself before I could really say anything about it.
If you want to get a feel for it, there is a spin-off called EGGNOGG with similar mechanics.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:57:09 am »

The longer gameplay in the first link is outdated, the game is somewhat more robust now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:03 am »

The longer gameplay in the first link is outdated, the game is somewhat more robust now.
Yes. I couldn't find any newer gameplay. If someone could link me to that, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Added the link to the spin-off to the OP.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 06:00:54 am »

You mean there is less "Throw the sword and annoyingly try to pass the opponent" gameplay?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:28 am »

You mean there is less "Throw the sword and annoyingly try to pass the opponent" gameplay?
You can deflect it thrown swords really easily. The guy in the gameplay video just wouldn't stop guarding low, so he was getting the sword thrown at his head.

The goal of the game is to get to the end of the stage, so I don't see why thats a problem. Usually when a player tries to get past an armed opponent its a very tense and risky affair, albeit with a high payoff. Its very entertaining IMO. But if you're concerned with players running past unarmed opponents, the latest update allows for more unarmed moves, and you can snap a running opponent's neck as well.