Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 497639 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #855 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »

Uh, I didn't have trouble modding DA:O on steam, found it pretty easy to be honest.  And using the developer console was merely changing one of the configuration files thrown into your Documents folder.  The only problem is that DA:O has an invisible Command Console during game.  Normally anyway.  You can make it to where it has a physical appearance later.

I have no idea what you guys are on about.   ???

EDIT:  GameFAQs actually has a tutorial on how to do it, just follow that and you'll be able to use the developer console in game.  Most of the modding, in my experience, was just unzipping files into the correct data folders.  Didn't have to do anything to change the EXE at all.
one of my mods required to patch the exe for UI changes, Steam DRM would flag it as some violation error and would automatically do a repair install.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:51 pm »

Huh, never had that problem myself.  Then again I'm pretty sure I stayed away from UI changes.  What exactly were they changing on the UI, out of curiosity?  It doesn't sounds like something you'd need to change the EXE for.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2014, 06:01:37 pm »

Huh, never had that problem myself.  Then again I'm pretty sure I stayed away from UI changes.  What exactly were they changing on the UI, out of curiosity?  It doesn't sounds like something you'd need to change the EXE for.
I can't remember exactly the mod but added in a crafting UI to make your own weapons.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2014, 06:10:34 pm »

I can't remember exactly the mod but added in a crafting UI to make your own weapons.
Weird that it changed the EXE then, that'd make it incompatible to any other mods that tried that, or certain versions of DA itself.

Yeah, most mods don't do that so it should be fine for modding for 99% of the time (I'm trying to figure out why they didn't just change one of the skills or something to create your own weapons, and then just find recipes around.  Not really understanding why they went out of their way to change an EXE.  Huh)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »

So I went and fucked something up somehow.

Basically, the RAM on my desktop has gone to shit, memtest has told me that. And it kept crashing whenever anything memory intensive happened. Now, there are two 2 gig chips and I had no idea wether both of them were gone or just one. So  I randomly took one out and it worked, it worked for several hours while downloading some big things (something that would crash it earlier) and didn't crash a single time. Great, problem fixed, atleast temporarily before I get replacements. It worked this morning too, quite nicely. Then I went out for several hours and my dad used the computer and it didn't work anymore. In fact, it crashed several times within several minutes. I shuffled the chips a bit, putting in the one I took out, putting them both in and now it seems to be fucked completely beacuse windows won't even start it just revs the fans several times before throwing out a corrupt file warning and just standing like that until I shut it down.

Now, I'll be getting replacement RAM in the next few days but I'm wondering wether or not this will keep happening, or heck, I'll even have to reinstall windows again it seems :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:34 pm »

Sounds to me like your system saved corrupt data from RAM to your hard drive. If new RAM doesn't fix it, you may need to reinstall. Try burning a linux livecd on another PC and booting from that to see if you can read the HDD.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:47 am »

Ok, so the OS is indeed fucked. Luckily the RAM seems to be working fine since it gets to the startup repair part before bluescreening because the data is corrupt.

Any reccomendations for the livecd thing? I've never used anything like that so I have no idea what goes. Also if it's possible to get one that's compatible with USB booting that'd be great.
AS - IG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:51 am »

USB booting is simple, you get unetbootin and the iso of linux you want. (Mint is simple enough for most things and I like it) You also need a usb drive of sufficient size, empty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 14, 2014, 10:02:03 am »

Hiren's Boot CD is a pretty good livecd, comes with a bunch of utilities, miniXP and Parted Magic.

It's more of a rescue CD than something to use as an actual OS, though, and I had issues with getting internet connection on miniXP.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:59 am »

Oh I've used Hirens before. But as you said that's purely salvage and total repair. What I need is to get this one folder that has all the stuff the familiy has done and used from the desktop to the second partition. Then I'll just wipe the Windows one and do a clean uninstall.

Which is rather simple, I have no idea why I'm doing Linux (for the first time ever) to accomplish this :S
AS - IG

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:05 pm »

The nice thing about booting a LiveCD is that you can conveniently run diagnostics that would be a bit tricky if you were booted from the disk drive.  I always run the long SMART drive tests, but especially a full badblocks (unix disk test utility, checks every block on the drive.  I think it takes about 36 hours on a 2T drive).  And memtest at least overnight.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 14, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »

Hello, A while ago I bought a small Trust Mini tablet and I decided to used it on my Windows 8.1 computer. However, the drivers seem to be obsolete and causing problems(at one point I got a blue screen equivalent). I have stopped using the device however the driver still runs in the background, which slows down my system significantly. Unfortunately there is no uninstall program and now I have a serious problem. I have found driver sys files related to the program in the drivers folder but I am hesitant to delete them in case it damages the system. It is very important these are removed but I am not sure how to do this safely.

Can you help me?
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 14, 2014, 11:45:13 pm »

So I think I'm mostly done picking out parts for this thing, anyone care to say what they think of it (or what I'm missing, which is probably a good bit, or any noticeable problems, of which there's also probably quite a bit)?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, would it be worth swapping the CPU up to an i7 (Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor, Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard), which would cost an additional $200, or going with a video card upgrade, which would cost an additional $150 (Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card), or even both?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:35 am »

@gigaraptor: Have you tried going into Device Manager to disable the device and/or roll back the drivers?

@pyro: I don't see any glaring problems with that setup (although liquid cooling sounds like overkill if you're not overclocking), but regarding your upgrade questions: what are you planning to do with your rig?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:09 am »

College use (Engineering major - mechanical and nuclear) with some gaming (not particularly intense gaming, mind - I'm a strategy person), but I want this to be something that can last, preferably at least 8 years with minor upgrades (unless something breaks, that is).

That second part would have been an absurd thing to say at one point.

And the liquid cooler is from when I was planning for an AMD chip. If it's too much overkill, I can get rid of that (or, swap it out with something, or whatever).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:12:50 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 348