Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 195661 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2400 on: November 26, 2023, 05:31:11 am »

My contention was that Strongpoint called minor Palestinian detainees violent terrorists and I gave examples of some minor detainees who had been imprisoned for apparently nothing, and things that aren’t terrorism.

Throwing stones is violent. Throwing stones is not terrorism, else the accusation listed against them would not be “throwing stones”.

Incitement to violence is as nebulous as “supporting terrorism”. It can also be quite insidious. Politicians the world over incite people to violence using euphemism and innuendo.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 27, 2023, 12:45:23 am »

Wishing death to Hamas can now get you punished in the US.

Perhaps it should be in the ameripol but it is a global effect of the Gazan war and propaganda surrounding it.

This "soft" kind of persecution is scary. It is how real shit starts.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 27, 2023, 01:47:56 am »

Hate crimes against Jews and Muslims have been on the rise since the start of the war. Real shit has already started.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 27, 2023, 07:08:50 am »

Human Rights Watch now also concludes that the strike on the al Ahli hospital the 17th of october was caused by a misfired rocket of the type used by Hamas and Palestine Islamic Jihad.

Just after the strike, Hamas blamed Israel and reported 471 deaths and 342 wounded.

HRW says they view the casualty numbers communicated by the Gazan authorities as doubtful.
'it shows an unusual high ratio between death and wounded, and it does not seem consistent with the damage seen at the site'.
The HRW researchers suggest that local authorities have made crucial evidence like rocket shards disappear.
They say it is very unlikely that the explosion was caused by a bomb used by Israeli forces.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: December 01, 2023, 12:33:06 am »

Because it's not going to end any time soon and is dominating the thread, new Israel-Gaza thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=182224.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 12:37:45 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: December 09, 2023, 09:27:43 am »

Quote from: MorleyDev
The issue is more when you get to constitutional rights and such. If Ukraine were to for example, deny anyone of Russian descent but Ukrainian citizenship from holding office, or voting, or legalize or have as a national philosophy that Ukraine is a nation of-and-for Ethnic Ukrainians and only ethnic ukrainians have the right to self-determine what happens in Ukraine

1) Anyone with Arab Descent and Israeli citizenship has all constitutional rights. Where did you hear that Arabs or other ethnicities can't hold office or vote in Israel? Yes. It is extremely hard for Palestinians to get citizenship (In terms of becoming a citizen of Israel there are three broad categories Jews - extremely easy. Others - rather hard, Palestinians - good luck) but 2 million Arabs are Israeli citizens and they enjoy full rights. Sure there is income inequality, bigotry, etc but there are Arab parties, Arab judges (including one in the Supreme Court), Arab officers in the IDF, etc.

2) Well... here is the 11th article of The Ukrainian constitution
"State promotes the consolidation and development of the Ukrainian nation, of its historical consciousness, traditions and culture, and also the development of the ethnic, cultural, linguistic and religious identity of all indigenous peoples and national minorities of Ukraine.".
So not so different from Israel. Sure there is that "also" thing.  But the Ukrainian nation is a big deal for the Ukrainian state.

3) The right of self-determination is not the right to decide "what happens in Ukraine\Israel" but a right to self-determine aka "we want to be a separate nation\autonomy". Yes, the current Israeli ruling coalition does believe that there are no other indigenous people on the territory of Israel but Jews which is like... BULLSHIT. But note that Ukraine, sadly, isn't exactly - "hey, Crimean Tatars, you can form an independent state as soon as you wish" kind of country either. In fact, IMO, the way Ukraine treated Crimean Tatars from 1991 to 2014 is rather disgusting...  Also, aren't you against this kind of separatism?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: December 09, 2023, 10:46:02 am »

Western democracies should not be friendly allies with ethnostates, as it goes against a fundemental basis of modern western democracy.
The fundamental basis of modern Western democracy is Westphalian sovereignty with nations stapled onto it when the monarchies began to be toppled. The former established territorial integrity and sovereignty, and the latter established self-determination through commonly shared experiences (one might say history and culture, which some may call ethnicity). Before that there were just kings faffing about doing whatever they wanted, and serfs who kept the throne clean for the next ass that would own them.

There's more to Western democracy than just living on the land, and it's more self-evident in Europe than in the Americas through the jus sanguinis principle. Being born on the eastern shores of the Atlantic generally does not confer citizenship. Naturalization used to require more than simple economic integration, and some form of cultural integration (some may say assimilation) is increasingly being brought back following the migrant crises. We used to—and are reverting back towards—not treating citizenship as just a piece of paper. Becoming citizen is going back towards being a commitment here, rather than a box you tick at the magistrate, as exemplified in say Finland where citizens don't just get rights but also have citizen-only obligations, one of which is the duty to provide for the defense of the country (Constitution of Finland § 127). Compare that to the American Selective Service and draft which apply to citizens and residents.

And on that note, "The right to exercise national self-determination in the State of Israel is unique to the Jewish people" is no more different than saying mere residency doesn't grant you a national vote, which is extremely common in modern Western democracies. Given that only minority Druze and Circassians are the only non-Jewish peoples with mandatory conscription, and Israel was founded as a Jewish homeland, this would be no more controversial than say "only Dutch citizens may vote in Dutch national elections in the Netherlands" even if a non-citizen has roots in the Netherlands going back centuries. They would still be entitled to a nationality and thus be a subject to a state, as per the UDHR Article 15, but that is technically not the same as citizenship (e.g. American Samoans are US nationals, but not citizens). Even considering the Druze and the Circassians, the US seems perfectly fine drafting non-citizen residents.

However, the inevitable question rises concerning national minorities: do they have self-determinism? Do they get their own country? Should there be an independent Sápmi in northern Scandinavia? Here is where the backbone of the Westphalian system still remains: territorial integrity. There's a reason why unilateral secession is frowned upon, and only accepted in remedial form—why Kosovo is accepted but Catalonia isn't (Spain's own fears notwithstanding) etc. Modern Western democracies, under the Westphalian system, hold onto territorial integrity until the situation becomes irreversibly irreconcilable, where remedial unilateral secession is the only option left. Without it, we'd just be a bunch of elected monarchies (or cryptomonarchies like Russia) faffing about again.

Thus ultimately, what some may call "ethnostates" do not go against the fundamental basis of modern Western democracies. The influx of cosmopolitanism is a recent occurrence and does not reflect the basis of modern Western democracies.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:49:12 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: December 09, 2023, 11:04:30 am »

-
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:13:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 09, 2023, 12:16:05 pm »

So maybe this is what was meant above by "territorial integrity" - but you can't "have the right to a geographic nation" even based on self-determination. There also has to be some consideration for geographic distribution.  Consider a checkerboard where everyone living on light squares wants to be in country A and everyone on dark squares wants to be in country B.

Since the ideology is not geographically distinct, it's not feasible to grant either group the "right" to that area.  Or is that was is meant by unilateral self-determination?

Either the groups have to agree (or tolerate) living in the same area, or some of each group has to agree to physically move to have a continuous geography in which to operate.

A problem not unique to the Middle East, but especially prominent there, is that groups do not want to cede some particular piece of geography to the other group, including coming up with agreements like "hey if you get the more resource rich area, you should compensate us for moving out of the area".  They neither want to tolerate each other in the same space, nor are they willing to move, and in some twisted cases one party won't let the other move out of the area either.

Essentially, to some extent, these groups have put the geography at a higher priority than their identity - that is, they have fallen into making the geography their identity. I think this is juvenile personally; it's immature - especially since it often seems like "heh we took this area by force, now we're going to be vindictive about it and rub it in your face and be sore winners" and "oh yeah, once we take it back by force, wait till you see how bad we give it back to you!"  It's infantile.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 09, 2023, 03:33:19 pm »

Essentially, to some extent, these groups have put the geography at a higher priority than their identity - that is, they have fallen into making the geography their identity. I think this is juvenile personally; it's immature - especially since it often seems like "heh we took this area by force, now we're going to be vindictive about it and rub it in your face and be sore winners" and "oh yeah, once we take it back by force, wait till you see how bad we give it back to you!"  It's infantile.

Israel has demonstrated its willingness to part with its territories for peace more than once. The only thing one can not expect is that Israel will give up Jerusalem but there is nothing infantile in being "stubborn" with what you consider to be your religious and cultural center.

Palestinians on the other hand... Reject peace and Insist on achieving a total military victory over a much stronger opponent. It is not like they are fighting for full independence of Gaza + WB + some extra which would be a reasonable goal. They want to (re)conquer all of former Mandate Palestine and nothing less.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 09, 2023, 03:39:32 pm »

How many times do you need to be told that Palestinians /=/ Hamas?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 09, 2023, 03:57:19 pm »

How many times do you need to be told that Palestinians /=/ Hamas?
*sighs* Do you really want to start this again? My claims

1) HAMAS wants to conquer all of Israel
2) Majority of Palestinians, including but not limited to HAMAS members\supporters, want to conquer all of Israel
3) A politically insignificant amount of Palestinians do want a two-state solution or other peaceful options

It is not Palestinians = HAMAS

I never said that all Palestinians = HAMAS but you keep strawmaning me.

https://twitter.com/elikowaz/status/1733391951419052048 - is she HAMAS member?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 03:59:31 pm by Strongpoint »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 09, 2023, 04:28:34 pm »

Palestinians on the other hand... Reject peace and Insist on achieving a total military victory over a much stronger opponent

That’s what you said, that’s what I was responding to.

I don’t need the argument again. You’ve proven time and time again you will twist anything to suit your own ends, and I can’t be bothered with it.

https://www.arabbarometer.org/wp-content/uploads/what-palestinians-really-think-of-hamas-2023-10-26-08-4941.pdf

Posted before, but evidence against every point you made, not my problem whether or not you accept it.

If all it takes is one person to paint an entire people in any particular way, all the far-right leaders the world over must mean everyone is a bigot. Is everyone in the world a bigot?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 09, 2023, 04:41:12 pm »

If you do want an honest opinion on the video, I’m more interested in the veracity than what she said.

How many people did they speak to before her?
How many voiced the same opinion?
How many voiced a different opinion?
If different opinions were voiced, why are they not in the video?
Has the video been staged?
Are the claims made about her accurate aside from what she said?
Is the guy who posted the video (who works for a Jewish lobbying organization) the one who recorded it? If not, who did? What are their credentials?

And all that jazz.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 09, 2023, 05:14:54 pm »

So, your logic is...

1) HAMAS wants to conquer all of Israel
2) A lot of residents of Gaza dislike HAMAS - here is some sociology proving that
3) This means that a lot of residents of Gaza disagree with HAMAS and don't want to conquer all of Israel

Does not compute... I see a major logical flaw here.

Maybe they dislike their government, HAMAS, for... I dunno... their incompetence, corruption, violence, dictatorship. Hey, maybe some dislike them because they make shitty rockets that fail to kill any significant amount of Jews. Disliking someone doesn't mean you disagree with all of their ideology or stated goals.

If you do want an honest opinion on the video, I’m more interested in the veracity than what she said.
I asked if you think is this individual a member of HAMAS or not. I fail to understand why would you need answers to the questions below to evaluate this. If you don't want to answer the question - fine. If you want to say "She is likely not a Hamas member because, in my opinion, this video is staged" - fine. A valid answer. Asking many unrelated questions is... weird.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163