Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 800879 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #1395 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:46 am »

Well, it's still a few pages before #100, so it could still happen
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »

So, funny story. I opened up Dwarf Fortress to play more of my turn today. (funny inorite?) Well, I was quite confused when there were no fortresses named "Shashmebzuth" on the Continue Playing menu. I started freaking out, until I realized I had been playing the turn on the Linux side of my computer. I'm on Windows now. Linux can do read/write operations on NTFS filesystems, but Windows can't even detect the existence of ext4 filesystems. That means, I have to reboot into Linux, copy the save into my Windows DF folder, and then go back to Windows.

FORTRESS PROGRAMMERS! I NEED AN EXT4 READER FOR WINDOWS!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

So, funny story. I opened up Dwarf Fortress to play more of my turn today. (funny inorite?) Well, I was quite confused when there were no fortresses named "Shashmebzuth" on the Continue Playing menu. I started freaking out, until I realized I had been playing the turn on the Linux side of my computer. I'm on Windows now. Linux can do read/write operations on NTFS filesystems, but Windows can't even detect the existence of ext4 filesystems. That means, I have to reboot into Linux, copy the save into my Windows DF folder, and then go back to Windows.

Better solution: Just keep the save in the Windows DF version, then do a symlink of the save folder in the NTFS partition into your Linux DF folder. Then you just have one save folder between the two versions and problem solved.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:10 pm »

The problem is, I started playing on Linux before I considered being smart like that. An ext4 reader for Windows would be so helpful. Expect an update sometime today.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 16, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »

Oh, I totally agree there. I'm just suggesting a workaround for future issues like this.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »

Better solution: Just keep the save in the Windows DF version, then do a symlink of the save folder in the NTFS partition into your Linux DF folder. Then you just have one save folder between the two versions and problem solved.

Translation:  Blah blah technobabble blah science wizardry jargon blah blah strange words. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Grath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 16, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

Translation:  Blah blah technobabble blah science wizardry jargon blah blah strange words.

Non-Technobabble Translation: Windows and Linux store files using different methods. Linux has a way to understand how Windows stores files, but nobody has yet made a way for Windows to understand how Linux stores files. Therefore, to be able to easily play Dwarf Fortress in either Windows or Linux, store the save files in the DF folder in Windows, and then tell Linux to pretend that the save files folder in the Windows DF folder is also in the DF folder in Linux.

I'd offer my help of an EXT4 reader, but I still have another year and a half before I even get my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, and my college is solely a Linux shop so I don't know how to do that kind of low-end stuff in Windows.

Esta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

Hmm... I did some Google searches and I found an article on that.
http://www.soluvas.com/read-browse-explore-open-ext2-ext3-ext4-partition-filesystem-from-windows-7/
The article recommended Ext2Read for that purpose.
I can't guarantee it'll work, though, and the article says you'll need to run it as an administrator.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 16, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

Ext2Read will only read ext2 filesystems. The differences between ext2 and ext4 are major enough that the program doesn't work.

Spoiler: Technobabble (click to show/hide)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

So what's the problem with Grath's solution?

Esta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:34 pm »

So what's the problem with Grath's solution?
Non-Technobabble Translation: Windows and Linux store files using different methods. Linux has a way to understand how Windows stores files, but nobody has yet made a way for Windows to understand how Linux stores files. Therefore, to be able to easily play Dwarf Fortress in either Windows or Linux, store the save files in the DF folder in Windows, and then tell Linux to pretend that the save files folder in the Windows DF folder is also in the DF folder in Linux.
The problem is, I started playing on Linux...
Grath's solution means you have to start with Windows. Mego started with Linux, and we don't have a tool to turn the Linux file and make it usable with Windows.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »

Other than rebooting, which I did. The save is now resting on my Windows partition. I am about to start playing again, now that I'm done with the gajillion things I had to do today that I didn't know I had to do.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »

Days that go like that always suck.

Of course, having your friend stay over and hardly talk to you at all feels pretty bad.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »

Derailment is magic.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:54 pm »

Hmm... I have an idea.

Voting time: Should I do traditional updates for the rest of my turn, or do video updates like the last one? Video updates mean I would stream my playing to my justin.tv stream, and then post the recorded video here for anybody who didn't catch it.

Adding a poll for this.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 208