Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166081 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:09 pm »

Woah, functioning traps? I wonder how Toady worked out the kinks in trap avoidance.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

Or maybe you guys are reading to much into his bad luck comment. =P
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2011, 11:11:39 pm »

Or maybe you guys are reading to much into his bad luck comment. =P

Since Toady said it, I'm inclined to think it is an actual mechanic. If Threetoe had said it, I'd be more inclined to think it was fluff.

And as much as I want "bad luck" curses to mean that ridiculous things happen to you, I bet it is just a negative modifier to luck-based skills based on the simple fact that that is a really easy thing to code and implement to test out the curse structure.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »

Arguably, a severed artery is bad luck in itself.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 22, 2011, 11:27:24 pm »

1. How exactly does "bad luck" work?  Does it bias the RNG towards numbers that are bad for the victim?

2. Will modders be able to attach their own curses/interactions to evil biomes, or will evil biomes be hardcoded to only use the "re-animate" interaction?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »

Woah, functioning traps? I wonder how Toady worked out the kinks in trap avoidance.

Attacking trap you can already Dodge/block.

Problem was with instagibbing ones, like cages and bridges, but this. Can be easily resolved by not placing them.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2011, 12:19:12 am »

Will an adventurer (in the coming release) be able to see (cage/weapon) traps before setting them off? Will the traps be visible after they have been set off (by the adventurer or otherwise)? Will Observer or any other current skill have any effect on trap detection? Are there plans to handle that with a new skill in a later release instead? I assume some sort of trap disarming skill is intended for a (far?) future release.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:10 am »

The next release is going to be awesome.  Delicious adventure mode grave-robbing goodness, towns, and all sorts of other goodies. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:04 am »

"Boxed in the face by a mummy" is an inherently hilarious phrase/concept and I'm glad that this is now a possibility.

How are mummies' bodies handled? Are they based off another creature (e.g. "dwarf mummy", "human mummy", "slugman mummy") somehow or are they their own thing entirely? And how are the materials/tissues for them handled in either case (bandages? dessication?)?

Here's to hoping those bandages are flammable.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:13 am »

"Boxed in the face by a mummy" is an inherently hilarious phrase/concept and I'm glad that this is now a possibility.

How are mummies' bodies handled? Are they based off another creature (e.g. "dwarf mummy", "human mummy", "slugman mummy") somehow or are they their own thing entirely? And how are the materials/tissues for them handled in either case (bandages? dessication?)?

Here's to hoping those bandages are flammable.
I would imagine they're based off of the interred individual.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2011, 03:12:11 am »

I went in there, took Teme from the coffin and put the body in my backpack. Obviously the defenses will need to be improved.
One Day Later
I was arteried in the leg by a giant axe blade, then cursed with bad luck and boxed in the face by a mummy.

It's been a little while since I laughed out loud at a devlog, it's good to see this stuff again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:50 am »

Technically a mummy is only a type of preserved corpse.

They don't have to actually be covered in bandages.

A lot of mummies in real life are simply dead bodies preserved with salt.

Mind you one large difference between a Mummy and Zombie is generally speaking... Mummies have very little moisture except in the case of ice mummies.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2011, 06:42:04 am »

I read that bit and simply thought "Oh, he added traps." The issue with traps in adventure mode is that they can't be removed or modified. That wouldn't stop Toady from putting them in a site with a low distribution. The stricture against traps carrying over to adventure mode has always been in relation to player construction. Players build traps for sieges and a single character will get splattered or trapped quickly.

A few axe blade or whatever traps scattered across a room isn't that horrific. It's actually fairly realistic when you think about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:38 am »

I read that bit and simply thought "Oh, he added traps." The issue with traps in adventure mode is that they can't be removed or modified. That wouldn't stop Toady from putting them in a site with a low distribution. The stricture against traps carrying over to adventure mode has always been in relation to player construction. Players build traps for sieges and a single character will get splattered or trapped quickly.

A few axe blade or whatever traps scattered across a room isn't that horrific. It's actually fairly realistic when you think about it.
I thought the issue with adventure mode traps was cages (or whatever ridiculous kitten powered machine players built) - there is no way to break out of a cage if you're caught in it. All the other traps are essentially a weapon attack which a highly skilled and geared adventurer can do something about.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:05 am »

They can't be removed either, not by adventurers. So going to an old fort you built to defend against sieges, that's a one way trip through 3+ weapon attacks you have absolutely no choice about. Could end up lethal in Adventure Mode depending on what you built them out of.

So traps have always been functional in adventure mode, players just lack features in general to deal with them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 298