Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166077 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:36 am »

olyfauntcarp?

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

I think with would be dweorwolf then?  Or in this case, dweorcapybara?  You'll note that "wolf" isn't in old english.  It's "Base Creature in Old English-Other Creature in Modern English".

I don't think the "-wolf" in "werewolf" would have ended up looking the same as ME "wolf" if the words weren't already cognate (OE word is "wulf")...
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2011, 01:31:36 pm »

I like "dwere-".

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »

I don't think the "-wolf" in "werewolf" would have ended up looking the same as ME "wolf" if the words weren't already cognate (OE word is "wulf")...

Regardless, that's how it's used in modern day, with the exception of the concept of wolfwer, for obvious reasons of reversal.  Language moves.  But roots can be recognized, with modification.

Dwere is catchy and easy to remember, and fits a vowel shift with Dweor... although personally I think Dweor is cooler for the sake of being different.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:39:59 pm by Fieari »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2011, 01:44:24 pm »

Kinda like "dwarrows"/"dwerrows" vs "dwarves", then? Dwerewolf is easier to remember, and Dweorwolf would't be such a clear indicator of what it it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »

With the addition of more were-animals, how will the aboveground animalmen be handled? We already have capybara men running around... would they be replaced by the were-byras? Or be handled as as separate case? Maybe they're groups of related were-critters that are trying to carve out some primitive form of society in the middle of the savage wilderness away from society... Just brainstorming. I always felt like the above-world Tigermen and whatnot needed some more fleshing out, and maybe forming simple settlements like the subterranean races do.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

Dwerewolf is easier to remember, and Dweorwolf would't be such a clear indicator of what it it.

Unless you say it out loud ;)

Either variant seems awesome to me, really.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »

And for elves, the word was aelf or ylfe.  I'd recommend shortening to ael-, so aelwolf.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »

And for elves, the word was aelf or ylfe.  I'd recommend shortening to ael-, so aelwolf.

Signed.  I love how the final "f" of "wolf" just coincidentally happens to complete both "dweor(f)" and "ael(f)", too! :)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »

But ael sounds like ale, and we can't have dwarves drying to drink rabid aelwolves!

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2011, 03:04:18 pm »

Will Dwarfs become more sophisticated in how they react to danger?

For example, that classic Dwarf Fortress situation where an unconscious troll several Z levels down manages to scare away everyone. Could that behaviour be altered? Perhaps you could make it even more !!FUN!! than before, by making Dwarfs naturally inclined to cluster around unconscious enemies and gawk. Forcing you to either kill the creature, get the crowds to move along, or accept what happens when an enemy wakes up surrounded by pointing children.

This comment hasn't gotten enough love IMO. Placing onesself in harm's way is an integral part of the dwarven psyche. Given the amount of hideous mutilation that goes on in most forts it seems like there would be plentiful opportunity for rubbernecking.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »

Call them waelwolves.

Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:18 pm »

Will Dwarfs become more sophisticated in how they react to danger?

For example, that classic Dwarf Fortress situation where an unconscious troll several Z levels down manages to scare away everyone. Could that behaviour be altered? Perhaps you could make it even more !!FUN!! than before, by making Dwarfs naturally inclined to cluster around unconscious enemies and gawk. Forcing you to either kill the creature, get the crowds to move along, or accept what happens when an enemy wakes up surrounded by pointing children.

This comment hasn't gotten enough love IMO. Placing onesself in harm's way is an integral part of the dwarven psyche. Given the amount of hideous mutilation that goes on in most forts it seems like there would be plentiful opportunity for rubbernecking.

Perhaps they could get thoughts and preferences from it too. A more timid dwarf would probably react normally and keep the hell away. A more adventurous/curious/suicidally-thrill-seeking dwarf might be more interested in poking the unconscious !!Troll!!, and might even get some kind of positive thought from doing so. At least until the monster wakes up and rips him apart.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2011, 04:03:42 pm »

With the addition of more were-animals, how will the aboveground animalmen be handled? We already have capybara men running around... would they be replaced by the were-byras? Or be handled as as separate case? Maybe they're groups of related were-critters that are trying to carve out some primitive form of society in the middle of the savage wilderness away from society... Just brainstorming. I always felt like the above-world Tigermen and whatnot needed some more fleshing out, and maybe forming simple settlements like the subterranean races do.

But a werewolf is different to a wolfman.  As a weretiger is to a tigerman.  It does beg the question, what is a weretigerman?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

I'd ask questions about the "Were" mechanics but it seems more like a "Wait and see" sort of deal.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 298