Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166060 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1785 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:15 pm »

mumies retain their soul, if i remember right

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 07, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »

Suppose I have a necromancer companion. If I die, could he reanimate me? Would I still have control?

I doubt you'd still have control since you'd basically just be a mindless (or at least without your original mind) zombie.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 07, 2011, 11:06:38 pm »

Suppose I have a necromancer companion. If I die, could he reanimate me? Would I still have control?

I doubt you'd still have control since you'd basically just be a mindless (or at least without your original mind) zombie.

Also by the same concept you would gain control of yourself if an enemy necromancer raised you.

Though it could be something Toady could look into for the future... an ability Necromancers could have that raises people back from the dead as undead monstrocities.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:45 am »

Taking down a Necromancer would be a pretty difficult task if not handled with care:

n.b. An adventurer killed by the Necromancer's buddies would be resurrected to fight for him, retaining part of his/her historical skills and history. After each failed attempt to kill the dark sorceror, the number of undead heroes increases and the task becomes more difficult. 

fun times! :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 08, 2011, 11:38:54 am »

Also by the same concept you would gain control of yourself if an enemy necromancer raised you.

Though it could be something Toady could look into for the future... an ability Necromancers could have that raises people back from the dead as undead monstrocities.

Note that for player control there's no difference between an undead mindless player and a regular player. If you really wanted you could play as a skeleton in Arena Mode, but I'm not so sure about your already-dead body being raised and you continuing to play. Oh well, that would be awesome though.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 08, 2011, 02:05:01 pm »

Taking down a Necromancer would be a pretty difficult task if not handled with care:

n.b. An adventurer killed by the Necromancer's buddies would be resurrected to fight for him, retaining part of his/her historical skills and history. After each failed attempt to kill the dark sorceror, the number of undead heroes increases and the task becomes more difficult. 

fun times! :)

That is not the only problem. You fight the necromancer before he has too many minions. You chop off one of his arms. As the necromancer is slowly bleeding to death, you start your victory dance. Only for the chopped off arm to suddenly strangle you. When fighting a necromancer, you need to be careful not to accidentally give him more minions.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »

Well you could always get suspicious and run him out of town.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 08, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »

Adventurers being able to do interactions is easily the most epic DF announcement since.. I dunno.  Probably multiple Z levels.  I'm pretty damn excited, anyway.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »

Adventurers being able to do interactions is easily the most epic DF announcement since.. I dunno.  Probably multiple Z levels.  I'm pretty damn excited, anyway.

For the modding community maybe.

There are so few interactions adventurers even get outside of mods.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 08, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »

For the modding community maybe.

There are so few interactions adventurers even get outside of mods.

Consider this: if you play as a dragon, you will be able to breath fire.  If you find a tablet detailing how to become a necromancer, you will be able to raise your own severed hand to follow you.  When artifacts gain abilities(like shooting fireballs), the interface will already be there to use them.  If you get bitten by a werespider, you will be able to shoot webs while in spider form.

Okay, so the odds of any of that happening are vanishingly small.  But I think the first explains why people like this so much.  Actually being able to breath fire as a dragon is just plain cool.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 08, 2011, 09:27:44 pm »

Consider this: if you play as a dragon, you will be able to breath fire. [...] Actually being able to breath fire as a dragon is just plain cool.

I'm not sure why people are talking like dragonfire is a sure bet:
Quote from: devlog
Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet.

And there's no guarantee that it'll be integrated before the release.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 08, 2011, 09:31:22 pm »

Consider this: if you play as a dragon, you will be able to breath fire. [...] Actually being able to breath fire as a dragon is just plain cool.

I'm not sure why people are talking like dragonfire is a sure bet:
Quote from: devlog
Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet.

And there's no guarantee that it'll be integrated before the release.

But it does imply that it is or will be coming.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 08, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »

But it does imply that it is or will be coming.

But it does not imply that it's coming in this release, which is what some people are anticipating.  "Yet" covers a lot of a ground with a planning horizon as long as DF's.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

But the firebreath is not the most important/fun part. If it is required, modders will put it in.

I'm looking forward to the dwarfinator food.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:04 am »

Actually...no. There is something possibly even better than necromancy or that sort of stuff. If we can get interactions to change a body part, we could possibly create a crude evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 298