Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166135 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2535 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »

Quote from: devlog
The last thing I got to was getting the historical dwarven vampires from world gen to come as migrants on occasion. Next up will be getting them to feed. This will leave one of your own dwarves routinely doing troubling things to the rest of your population, without you knowing immediately who is responsible. In order to make this a fun thing rather than an annoying thing, we're going to revamp the justice system a bit so that you can have crimes that have been committed (in the Justice screen, say) where the perpetrator is not known. In this case, the plan is to then have a witness to a bloodfeeding be able to report that to a guard/sheriff/etc., and then that'll be available for you when you decide on somebody to accuse/arrest/punish. You'll be able to accuse the wrong dwarf, and we might have the vampire or grudge-holding dwarves level false accusations that'll muddy the witness accounts a bit. It should be entertaining once it is tweaked and tested, but first I need to get the guts of it in.

Will non-vampire migrants also be drawn from historical figures?  If a vampire adventurer retired in a human town in a Human Fortress-playable world, could that adventurer migrate to a player fortress?  I'm asking about human towns since dwarf settlements are presumably still a broken feature.

Does the Justice revamping mean that the bug with baron-appointed nobles e.g. the hammerer will be fixed?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:14:06 pm by Footkerchief »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 24, 2011, 09:27:21 pm »

Only in Dwarf Fortress does the implementation of vampires lead to the addition of perjury into a game. I love this game.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 24, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

Juicy devlog today!

How extensive will the Justice rewrite be this time? Will the new tweaks only apply to "witch-hunts" for vampires/werecreatures, or will it also apply to failed mandates/tantrum-related crimes?

It'll be cool if we can make the useless dwarves scapegoats for impossible mandates instead of losing the skilled craftdwarves.

Semirelated, I'm quite interested in where this goes- the prospect of an improved Justice system has intrigued me ever since the DF Talk with the inns/taverns, where it was speculated rambunctious mercenaries might come, get drunk, and wreck your place, and you'd have to have a justice system to sort that all out.

The aging bit is pretty cool, though I bet it'll be a while before we start seeing more cool stuff utilizing it (unless that bit of code is in the interaction framework or otherwise mod friendly.)

And I'm excited to see you can contract vampirism by just drinking the blood- it's already going to be difficult enough to let a were-creature infect you without ripping your arm off, catching vampirism as well would greatly increase the mortality rate. I can already see the hero charging into the palace and valiantly slaying the cruel vampire king... before promptly licking puddles of blood off the floor to become a super fun vampire himself.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 25, 2011, 12:49:26 am »

So we finally could officially sentence damned nobles criminals to magma swimming rather than making accidents? Sounds good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:28 am »

So we finally could officially sentence damned nobles criminals to magma swimming rather than making accidents? Sounds good.

I am not sure it means you can sentence nobles to death.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 25, 2011, 01:02:12 am »

It would be interesting to see if grudges eventually lead to violent crime too, rather than just tantrums or vampirism. :) And grudges seem to form at random, wouldn't it make sense, for example, the widow of an executed dwarf (most likely killed for failing a noble's mandate) forming a grudge against the Captain of the Guard? Just thoughts.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2541 on: October 25, 2011, 01:06:01 am »

It would be interesting to see if grudges eventually lead to violent crime too, rather than just tantrums or vampirism. :) And grudges seem to form at random, wouldn't it make sense, for example, the widow of an executed dwarf (most likely killed for failing a noble's mandate) forming a grudge against the Captain of the Guard? Just thoughts.

I thought it already happens.

I had 4 captains of the guard killed by tantrumers within season. Law enforcement definitelly is not popular.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:50 am »

Well, I haven't seen it happen. Grudges forming against CoTG, that is, even when someone's just been axed for breaking a chair. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 25, 2011, 01:12:38 am »

I am not sure it means you can sentence nobles to death.
As nobles are appointed from local population, vampire would be able to get appointed as noble too, probably, so there should be a way to accuse him too. Maybe in form of ol' good torches&pitchforks.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:04 am »

The aging bit is pretty cool, though I bet it'll be a while before we start seeing more cool stuff utilizing it (unless that bit of code is in the interaction framework or otherwise mod friendly.)

I hope he goes back to curses and adds aging curses to the mummies.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 25, 2011, 02:52:35 am »

Welp, there goes the hope of getting this release soon.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: October 25, 2011, 03:10:22 am »

Welp, there goes the hope of getting this release soon.

A small price to pay for such glorious features!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: October 25, 2011, 03:28:40 am »

Brilliant devlog. As I got further down it I couldn't help but smile.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:56 am »

Putting the decision to punish an offending dwarf in the hands of the player sounds like an awesome goal. Assuming, of course, that the witness accounts/false accusations work out right. Sometimes the player will probably just see through his own viewpoint that Urixs just fed on Uryst, making who to punish moot. It will also depend on how 'trustworthy' witness accounts work out to be, independent of gameplay mechanics; that is, in the opinion of players, are witness accounts generally 90% accurate? 50%? But I like what it implied for the future. Finally having a use for the guard will also be good.

Will you get vampires with your starting seven, I wonder? Maybe you can just "deal with it" until you get your immigrant waves, or its just not a serious issue in that first year (depending on how often they need to feed, or whether they kill/convert victims), and then accuse and kill/drive out the vampire - or other cursed dwarves, for that matter. Werecapybara. Well, it'll be a lot more obvious when you have a werecritter in your midst.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2549 on: October 25, 2011, 05:13:44 am »

I wonder whther we will be able to give more user defined punishment.

For example, I would punish dwarf by assigning him to surface patroll squad for one year.

Or punish him by forced labor - say, enabled woodcutter job.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 298