Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166066 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3075 on: November 28, 2011, 01:37:58 am »

And i was just pondering aloud.  ;D
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 28, 2011, 02:09:39 am »

Well, we could use the framework for vampires to do the tracking of the lineage of the special animals. Say, a dog kills five goblins (however it does so), and has puppies. Those puppies would be listed as the historical figure dog's children, and so on.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 28, 2011, 02:12:19 am »

Well, we could use the framework for vampires to do the tracking of the lineage of the special animals. Say, a dog kills five goblins (however it does so), and has puppies. Those puppies would be listed as the historical figure dog's children, and so on.
We already have lineage tracking for historical figures. We have for ages. The vampire framework is irrelevant to that.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 28, 2011, 02:17:50 am »

Yes, yes, but this is specifically related to the discussion in which the idea of tracking the lineage was ridiculed.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:33 am »

Actually for breeds to work in you just need the actually just the traits of a creature (and maybe some recessive genes as backup) so you can get actual breeds. I agree that tracking the linage would be cool but for the sake of keeping the memory-usage down just saving the data of the actual current existing individuals is sufficient. Also i asume toady did some (gene-)pooling to cut down the memory even more althought this would also cut the genetic variance of the population. But these are only guesses and i also would like to hear the answer.

What would interest me is if and how the pet keeping species decide which traits they favour and want in a animal? I could see Humans for example keep atleast 3 kinds of horses 1 each for light and heavy cavalery and one as work-horse.

No, there's no selective breeding of animals right now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:51 am »

I'm just happy that every animal will no longer be a patchwork of colors, with "his fur on his front right paw is light blue, on his left paw+back paws it is tawny, on his ears is grey, on his upper body is brown, on his have is white, etc., etc."
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 28, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

I'm just happy that every animal will no longer be a patchwork of colors, with "his fur on his front right paw is light blue, on his left paw+back paws it is tawny, on his ears is grey, on his upper body is brown, on his have is white, etc., etc."

Paibald or however you spell it, is probably the closest I can think of to "Patchwork of colors"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: November 28, 2011, 12:08:41 pm »

Really enjoying these daily devlogs and the screenshots.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »

Really enjoying these daily devlogs and the screenshots.

Yeah.

I was sort of hoping for something else in effect but it didn't happen and thus my hope for another resulting effect is dashed.

Ohh well.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »

Hmm... With the Forgotten Beasts and Plains Titans, it seems to randomly pick a random creature, and add some random "flaws/upgrades" to it, possibly from other creatures.

I'm wondering, with the current 'breeds' mechanic being worked on right now, if traits NOT in the creature's RAWs will eventually be able to show up in a specific breed of the creature, or at least extend/retract certain numbers beyond their normal limits. Say, you isolated a bunch of cats, and slaughtered certain ones, until one showed up with "bone protrusions on it's head", just little nubs of bone, and you bred them for that, until you have a breed of cats with small little blunt horns. Trade some of these out of the fortress, so that they end up in another town, and soon a human town has another population of horned tabbies. And then another, as they trade among themselves, and another. And then they bring some horned tabbies BACK.
Or Dogs with scorpion tails, or lions with blue (or pink) fur?

Basically, Will the Uninvited Guest's code governing variety somehow appear in the Breeds mechanic (even if scaled down)?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »

Toady, you ever going to take a look at odd river intersections, eg. the triangle as seen in world 1, near lake?

They look terribly funny and not very realistic when encountered when playing, and a 4-intersections have disastrous results.

Edit: greenified.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:04:46 pm by Draco18s »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »

Hmm... With the Forgotten Beasts and Plains Titans, it seems to randomly pick a random creature, and add some random "flaws/upgrades" to it, possibly from other creatures.

They aren't from other creatures.  There's a small hardcoded grab bag of traits that are only used for randomly generated creatures (forgotten beasts, titans and demons).

I'm wondering, with the current 'breeds' mechanic being worked on right now, if traits NOT in the creature's RAWs will eventually be able to show up in a specific breed of the creature, or at least extend/retract certain numbers beyond their normal limits. Say, you isolated a bunch of cats, and slaughtered certain ones, until one showed up with "bone protrusions on it's head", just little nubs of bone, and you bred them for that, until you have a breed of cats with small little blunt horns. Trade some of these out of the fortress, so that they end up in another town, and soon a human town has another population of horned tabbies. And then another, as they trade among themselves, and another. And then they bring some horned tabbies BACK.
Or Dogs with scorpion tails, or lions with blue (or pink) fur?

Basically, Will the Uninvited Guest's code governing variety somehow appear in the Breeds mechanic (even if scaled down)?

No, there is no spontaneous creation of new traits.  The only variation is what's explicitly specified in the raws.  The "breeds mechanic" is just the extension of the 31.01 genetics to animal populations.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

We don't know for certain that this is the case - Toady said his cats are grey with brown ears, but that could be happenstance as easily as it could be a code change. More easily even.
Toady, you ever going to take a look at odd river intersections, eg. the triangle as seen in world 1, near lake?

They look terribly funny and not very realistic when encountered when playing, and a 4-intersections have disastrous results.
There are a lot of weird things about rivers that could stand to be improved.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 28, 2011, 04:33:49 pm »

The correct place to record your sighting is of course the triangular lake sighting internet site (http://www.satellitediscoveries.com/discoveries/triangles/main.html).  Sorry; the internet never ceases to amaze me.  (Apologies to those for whom the magic has worn off).

kwieland

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 28, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »

I don't think the triangles are that unrealistic.  Look at the interception of these two rivers near my home town here.  When the rivers flood, then the top profile is nearly exactly a triangle. 

I didn't get the point of your second link.  I see one river that forms a waterfall into a lake below.  Am I missing something? 
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 298