Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2209465 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

It can only be one man...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is the single oddest looking cartoon character I've ever seen.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

It can only be one man...

That is the single oddest looking cartoon character I've ever seen.

Well, he's from an odd show, where the general pick-up line apparently is "D'you like snack cakes?"

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

What?

Also... Snack cakes. If we're going to add those we need to add parfaits, m'k? Parfaits are delicious.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

What?

Also... Snack cakes. If we're going to add those we need to add parfaits, m'k? Parfaits are delicious.
I'm kind of heavily against snack cakes, which is the primary reason I just PM'd Splint. :P They overwrite an already well-established canon element without any preceding reason for it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Why tho? What's so bad about snack cakes?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves eating twinkies? What?

Spearbreakers is all about story, with a heavy dose of "OH GOD WE'RE ALL FUCKED AND IT'S STILL ONLY GRANITE" thrown in.

Snack cakes: zero points for story, zero points for setting, and zero points for continuity. We might add fairies as pets next to continue this trend.

It's not just the snack cakes, but the combination of giant armykiller magical toys + lovable furry dog men + twinkies that's pushing it a little too far for me. :P

edit:
I'm gonna see what Talvieno thinks of it (as he's less apt to rip my head off)
Heh. Irony.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:19:28 pm by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

They don't have to be twinkies! Just like... little cake slices... with fruit in them. Or little pastries with jelly inside. Y'know, it wouldn't be that incorrect for the times to have stuff like that and meat-pies. Moreover, there's time-travel. Who's to say Joseph doesn't dump all the expired twinkies in Spearbreakers? It's not as ridiculous as you'd think, but I'm kinda with you on some of it. It's just that snack cakes have been around for quite a bit longer than anyone gives them credit. No, not modern snack cakes, but a form of snack cake has existed since ancient Rome. Actually probably since the Egyptian days. It's just that... historians don't usually see food as a subject of note when there's all kinds of epic bloodbattles. Likewise, neither would the Spearbreakers historians. We don't have to engrave and engraving of a snack cake, it's just something to eat on the go for convenience.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

I don't think snack cakes are important enough to put in Spearbreakers II.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Haha! This is DWARF FORTRESS. A lot of people would say that things like soap, beekeeping, thread-making, and the like are "not important enough to put in." That is not the vision of the ToadyOne. Complexity=FUN. Ergo, why not add something like snack cakes? It's an extra bit of flavour that will be pretty much unique to Spearbreakers.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha! This is DWARF FORTRESS. A lot of people would say that things like soap, beekeeping, thread-making, and the like are "not important enough to put in." That is not the vision of the ToadyOne. Complexity=FUN. Ergo, why not add something like snack cakes? It's an extra bit of flavour that will be pretty much unique to Spearbreakers.
Soap is incredibly important. It keeps dwarves happy, keeps them clean (absolute necessity if you find a syndrome-bearing forgotten beast), and keeps your best soldiers from getting fatal infections. Just being clean lowers the chance.

Beekeeping is important, though not necessary. I don't know if you've ever brewed mead (probably not), but that stuff is cheap, overabundant, easy to make, and dwarves love it. Sells for a pretty good amount, too, and has the side effect of producing food for the fortress. Not drinking the same old booze lately will also help with tantrum spirals, and going aboveground helps with cave adaptation.

Thread-making is absolutely essential on all counts. Ever tried to suture a wound? Can't do it without thread. If you don't have thread, you can't make new clothes for your dwarves, either, which means they'll start to go around naked at year 5 or so, and that means a definite, unavoidable tantrum spiral.

Snack cakes are just flavor (no pun intended), and pointless, random, unheralded flavor at that. They don't fit in with the grimdark setting of Spearbreakers at all. Not to mention, they don't fit in with Dwarf Fortress in general. It's like lollipops or candy canes. Maybe jell-o.

edit: If you've read the thread, you'll know that for us, plot and setting are Serious Business. There was a huge argument over a shadow creature because it was from a different series, something got written as non-canon simply because it was overpowered, and several stories almost got completely rewritten just because it was considered presumptuous for a character to be quite as important as they were made out to be.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:59:43 pm by Talvieno »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Do we have crates of rations yet?

Like in the underhive mod
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We have barrels of prepared meals, which is essentially the same thing.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

I know the importance of all of those things. I'm just saying that most simulation games never bother to consider them.

Yes, and how great is it in the games that do offer you giant candy-canes to impale your foes upon? XD I do see your point Talvi, but snack cakes don't really detract anything either. How about this as a compromise, berry tarts and meat pies? Those are less ridiculous sounding, more fitting, and even more innocuous. And these things are documented to have existed at the time period that Dwarf Fortress's universe is stuck in. Albeit they weren't common. And does it really detract from the story any? Watch this.

"I stood on guard, leaning on my halberd while I munched a nice meat pie. It wasn't much but it was a step up from salted burnt meat. I didn't know what might lie around the corner, waiting to ambush me at any moment. However, things had been pretty calm and I had been feeling alright. I took a swig of mead from my flask, happy to not have to be drinking the same old plump helmet brew again. Wait... what's that over there? A goblin ambush? I shoved the meat pie in my mouth and charged after them with a muffled war cry of "Spearbreakers!""

See, that's not so bad. Even if it would probably be something besides your standard old goblins that Urist McPawn was fighting.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that would be different. I'd be somewhat okay with that, there wouldn't really be any reason not to. Snack cakes are worlds removed from meat pies, though.

Meat pie:

Snack cakes:
What if Mass Effect suddenly had Tinkerbell? What if The Little Mermaid showed up to help Marcus through Gears of War? What if there were suddenly rainbows and butterflies all through the world of Stargate? The genres clash. So does this.

Plus, there's how Propman said it that really bothers me:
The incursion of this object in the item_food raws is most vital for next game, I assure you all. How vital? Well, I don't want to spoil anything, but include it you must!
That raises a red flag for me. I'm not going to trust it just on faith, especially when we've already got giant armykilling toys and cute dog people to worry about. :P Those were pushing it already. I'm getting the feeling that the off-genre mods aren't going to stop coming, and we of Spearbreakers have poured two years of our time into developing this universe and its theme. We have reason to make it Serious Business - we have a lot invested in it. Propman isn't really trying to do anything besides insert his own fluff into a story that's already over, between the two games, without really providing a reason for it.

"I stood on guard, leaning on my halberd while I munched a nice meat pie. It wasn't much but it was a step up from salted burnt meat. I didn't know what might lie around the corner, waiting to ambush me at any moment. However, things had been pretty calm and I had been feeling alright. I took a swig of mead from my flask, happy to not have to be drinking the same old plump helmet brew again. Wait... what's that over there? A goblin ambush? I shoved the meat pie in my mouth and charged after them with a muffled war cry of "Spearbreakers!""
That was actually pretty good, there. +1.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:17:53 pm by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Eh... Alright. Personally, I think that snack cakes include any small handheld cake. For example, pieces of Lembas bread, cornbread with sugar in it, brownies, stuffed mini-pastries (when they aren't mini-pies ), and some forms of donut. Not to mention miniature king cakes.

Also... THIS is a meat pie:

I don't know what that soupy potted nonsense was.
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 815