Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1414739 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #945 on: November 18, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »

@ZM5: You can mod in things like shapes and associations by language raw editing. I think something like that was done for Cacame.
I'm aware, but I think it should be an actual thing that historical figures would know about and make stories about, and not just symbols that can be used.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #946 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:22 am »

Wow. Fading information over time is something I really didn't expect to see, but sounds intense given how intricate that kind of thing can get. That's the kind of weird subtle hyper-nuance that, in true DF fashion, is going to fly so far under the radar that most people won't even realise it's there, but will be responsible for either a weird bug update, or a series of odd stories.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 20, 2016, 10:26:57 am »

Wow. Fading information over time is something I really didn't expect to see, but sounds intense given how intricate that kind of thing can get. That's the kind of weird subtle hyper-nuance that, in true DF fashion, is going to fly so far under the radar that most people won't even realise it's there, but will be responsible for either a weird bug update, or a series of odd stories.

Exactly, people dont realize how amazing this little mechanic will be
It settles the placeholder for people forgetting about stuff, but still living in the shadows. Whole civilizations, gods, crimes and heroics will be forgotten
And with forgotten misteries on the world comes discoveries and findings
The same world will have vastly different knowledge depending on the moment of history its set uppon, and thats awesoem

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 20, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »

Exactly, people dont realize how amazing this little mechanic will be
It settles the placeholder for people forgetting about stuff, but still living in the shadows. Whole civilizations, gods, crimes and heroics will be forgotten
And with forgotten misteries on the world comes discoveries and findings
The same world will have vastly different knowledge depending on the moment of history its set uppon, and thats awesoem
Yes, this will be nice when it applies to all rumours. "Legend tells of a great beast hiding under those mountains. Who knows if it's still there?" is a lot better than "Our great enemy Pixey the Dragon resides in the Mushy Hills. This fiend once stole a copper helmet (like 1500 years ago)".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 20, 2016, 05:22:47 pm »

This could be used to general knowledge, like knowing how to smelt iron or build machinery, making disparity among civilizations technologies which can drive up wars, trade, all kind of exciting adventures.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 20, 2016, 05:43:15 pm »

This could be used to general knowledge, like knowing how to smelt iron or build machinery, making disparity among civilizations technologies which can drive up wars, trade, all kind of exciting adventures.

Yep, its a significant step in the direction of a vastly more complex gaming experience, regarding coherence in gameplay

Different rumors should dissapear at a different speed though. Shonai_Dweller cleverly talks about the rumor of a dragon's atack from hundreds of years ago that it's still known, but a much less important plot, like the thievery of a chicken (yep, law system is also affected) should dissapear quicker

On another side, not every plot is equally important to each person, so If you ask the person whose chicken was stolen, he'd remember it for faar more time than the citizen of a neighbour town who heard about it
How the importancy of each 'happening' is calculated is another, more complicated business, but a man can dream

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #951 on: November 20, 2016, 06:48:52 pm »

No, unit.relations.old_year and unit.relations.old_time give the exact moment of death by old age for that particular unit down to the tick. It shouldn't be happening on 1st granite, I don't think...
My experience is that there's an old age die-off at the turn of the year, and I've never seen it at any other time (a 0.40.X version had migrants that were dying of old age in just a few years, and I'm still seeing animal death at that time but no other). However, a possible implementation of death by old age is to specify it down to the tick, but only check it at the turn of the year (in which case units might survive their expected time of death by up to 12 months).
I guess it's something that ought to be investigated.
Back in version 0.31 and 0.34, animals died at exactly the beginning of the year, while dwarves died on their actual birthday. It's very possible (and likely) that things have changed since then, though.

Slade is dense enough that there might be visible redshift/blueshift from looking up/down near it, as well as gravitational lensing as I recall, wait, was it like neutron star material, or was it merely solar core densities? Either way it would induce a good amount of time dilation for those who spent more time down near it, quite a bit more than the fractions of a second difference between the surface here and orbit.

Slade is 200 g/cm3, which is more dense than the core of the Sun (150 g/cm3). Still, it's nothing compared to the density of a white dwarf (10K to 10M g/cm3) and absolutely miniscule compared to the density of a neutron star (370 to 590 trillion g/cm3), so I doubt any redshift or gravitational lensing would be visible.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:50:42 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:05 am »

Ah thank ya, I was distracted and forgot to toss that into the calc and forgot about it. There would indeed be a significant amount of time dilation from getting closer to it though.

Hell is being stuck in a waiting room with boring strangers forever.

The lensing would probably need a much larger chunk than a 257x257 slab, even the Sun didn't produce a massive deflection in the old eclipse tests.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 22, 2016, 08:36:37 am »

There would indeed be a significant amount of time dilation from getting closer to it though.
Not at all. Time dilatation requires a much higher mass in one point (considered the distance decreasing gravity and therefore time dilation), and/or higher density. Overall you would require much MORE slade to obtain it.
Even the sun (which is not so dense) is very very weak in term of time dilation. Only much more dense objects (white dwarf/neutron star/black hole ,as Quietust said) can produce such effects.

With more slade in the ground, what you could obtain, however, is a stronger gravity.

Excepting very special situations, anyway, when you are in a place where you would feel time dilation, you are already dead (destroyed) for a long time (crushed or burnt, or both)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 22, 2016, 10:01:38 am »

There would indeed be a significant amount of time dilation from getting closer to it though.
Not at all. Time dilatation requires a much higher mass in one point (considered the distance decreasing gravity and therefore time dilation), and/or higher density. Overall you would require much MORE slade to obtain it.
Even the sun (which is not so dense) is very very weak in term of time dilation. Only much more dense objects (white dwarf/neutron star/black hole ,as Quietust said) can produce such effects.

With more slade in the ground, what you could obtain, however, is a stronger gravity.

Excepting very special situations, anyway, when you are in a place where you would feel time dilation, you are already dead (destroyed) for a long time (crushed or burnt, or both)
One of consequence of gravity is that if you are outside a hollow sphere you feel the pull as if all the mass was at the center, but if you are inside that same hollow sphere you feel no net pull at all.  So a layer of slade would increase surface gravity, but that would mysteriously vanish if you dig far enough.  Of course, all kinds of strange things happen when you Dig Too Greedily and Too Deep™, so I suppose it's par for the course.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »

I wasn't assuming it was round and you were digging into a sphere, I was picturing a big slab of stellar core dense material thick enough to give "normal" enough gravity on the surface layers, and yeah, getting close to slade would not be healthy, though naturally this would mean a much thicker slab on a smaller world, and let's not talk about the directional variance where it would start to feel like you were walking around in a bowl since "down" would point towards the center of the map... unless the underside was curved to keep the local down consistent everywhere across the surface. Thinking something like this but I'm not sure how much stuff you'd need down there to get the same gravity a hundred or so z above it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:04:52 pm by Max™ »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 22, 2016, 01:15:08 pm »

I wasn't assuming it was round and you were digging into a sphere, I was picturing a big slab of stellar core dense material thick enough to give "normal" enough gravity on the surface layers, and yeah, getting close to slade would not be healthy, though naturally this would mean a much thicker slab on a smaller world, and let's not talk about the directional variance where it would start to feel like you were walking around in a bowl since "down" would point towards the center of the map... unless the underside was curved to keep the local down consistent everywhere across the surface. Thinking something like this but I'm not sure how much stuff you'd need down there to get the same gravity a hundred or so z above it.
I was assuming a round world, just with the local region modeled as flat.  A layer at a more-or-less consistent depth worldwide would result in a hollow sphere, embedded in the round world.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 22, 2016, 06:51:14 pm »

Question is how the layering of slade ceiling, hollow inside, slade terrain, then anomalous glowy pit stuff affects this calculation.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 22, 2016, 07:17:42 pm »

There is an exception to that.  Denser cores are often associated with greater rotation rates, which are a form of velocity, which at extreme values, can lead to time dilation.

A very dense planet spinning very fast on its axis will have slower local time than outside its rotation frame.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 22, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »

Okay, how did this thread go from asking questions about DF's development to the density of slade and stars?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 211