Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2721798 times)

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15405 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:20 am »

Theres an option somewhere to reset window positions, have you tried that?
Tried but doesn't work. The subscreen on taskbar is blank. Anyway to export the event log other than the button on the bottom of Event update window?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:20 am »

The subscreen on taskbar is blank.
You tried pressing F3?

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15407 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:52 am »

The subscreen on taskbar is blank.
You tried pressing F3?
Ctrl+F3? The same.
 The problem is, I can "open" the Event log and see it on taskbar, but it can't be displayed correctly. The window doesn't appear when clicked, and when I move my cursor onto it on taskbar, it shows a blank subscreen.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15408 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:16 am »

Before I put it into production, is there anything fundamentally wrong with this design?

Code: [Select]
Farseer class Scout    9,000 tons     215 Crew     1608.4 BP      TCS 180  TH 720  EM 0
4000 km/s     Armour 1-38     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/180/0/0     Damage Control Rating 9     PPV 0
Maint Life 3.01 Years     MSP 1005    AFR 72%    IFR 1%    1YR 167    5YR 2499    Max Repair 630 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 3   

DU-LC-01 (1)    Power 720    Fuel Use 38.5%    Signature 720    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 2,500,000 Litres    Range 129.9 billion km   (375 days at full power)

SR-SC-01 (1)     GPS 63000     Range 378.0m km    Resolution 100
EM-SC-01  (1)     Sensitivity 180     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  180m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

The intended purpose is to either be paired with an armed jumpship for investigating unexplored jump points (to find out if there's any colonies or warships in the system) or later on to provide long-range sensor support as part of a larger fleet.

Looks generally ok, although it will have difficulty spotting fighters/gunboats/swarm, and will miss missiles entirely. Still if it is only intended to pick up full size ships and colonies it should serve well. I tend to prefer thermal over EM sensors if I'm only installing one, on the basis that in almost every situation something has to be mobile, and hence have a thermal signature, in order to be a threat.

Only minor quibble would be that you generally want to have supplies carried be at least twice the max repair cost so that in-field repairs can be made. Still, as the ship has no active defences, if it is taking damage it is likely going to be destroyed outright rather than have the chance to repair.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15409 on: October 10, 2014, 09:19:31 am »

I went with EM to make sure that I could pick up targeting sensors, but I can see where thermals would help a lot, especially in picking up lighter units. As for missiles, every armed ship I build has a short-range antimissile sensor, so I didn't see a point in wasting tonnage on the long-range platform.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15410 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:09 am »

I went with EM to make sure that I could pick up targeting sensors, but I can see where thermals would help a lot, especially in picking up lighter units. As for missiles, every armed ship I build has a short-range antimissile sensor, so I didn't see a point in wasting tonnage on the long-range platform.
That's fair enough for when it's part of a fleet at all times, but your first example of use suggested that it would be acting as a forward scout alone into unexplored systems(assuming that the typically slow jumpship remained at the jump point).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15411 on: October 10, 2014, 10:06:08 am »

My jumpships are usually cruisers with a portion of their missile tubes and magazines stripped out to make room for the jump drive, leaving defensive weapons intact. I usually also put a flag bridge on it and fluff it as a squadron command ship. (Incidentally, do flag bridges do anything? I can't seem to find a way to assign officers to them.) My recon is usually a reconnaissance-in-force, and when it isn't, they run a way as soon as they pick up an active sensor, then I send in a fleet to continue the recon.

Also, I'd rather not have a separate class of ship for any independent scouting I might do. If I was going to go that route, I would use thermals, but I'd also enlarge the design to include grav sensors, shields, and at least a defensive (if not offensive) weapon fit.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15412 on: October 10, 2014, 10:25:03 am »

Flag bridges are for Task Force commanders, you basically assign a Task Force set of officers to a ship with a Flag Bridge as opposed to a sector which is default. Useful for providing buffs to ships in unknown territory but not necessary.

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15413 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:19 am »

Finally solved the problem. Started a new game, opened the event log, then used "Game info" button to switch to the original game, and the bug is nuked.

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15414 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:04 am »

It seems that a 800% difficulty NPR would have over 300 warships and 100 FACs at 15th year. After 18 bloody months, GTA fleet's  final assault crushed Clan's blockade at their home system. 160 warships and 300 fighters poured into Wolf 424, the darkness of deep space soon lightened by nuclear explosion and laser impact.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15415 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »

It seems that a 800% difficulty NPR would have over 300 warships and 100 FACs at 15th year. After 18 bloody months, GTA fleet's  final assault crushed Clan's blockade at their home system. 160 warships and 300 fighters poured into Wolf 424, the darkness of deep space soon lightened by nuclear explosion and laser impact.
People use difficulties less than 1000%? :P

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15416 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:34 pm »

My early games it didn't matter about the difficulty, I just get screwed by spoilers

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:04 pm »

Alright, all of a sudden I get spammed with "error 5 has been generated by Aurora" whenever I increment time. The dialog box is titled "Error in UseFuel." If I click OK enough times, I can keep playing but I can't figure out what's causing it.

Edit: Fixed itself with enough clicking. It looks like it thought a towed ship was in two places at once, and once the ship was delivered the problem went away.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:16:18 pm by Lord Shonus »

JOKER_G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15418 on: October 10, 2014, 09:58:13 pm »

People use difficulties less than 1000%? :P
100%: too weak to be interesting
400%: much better
1000%: OH MY GOD TOO MANY BATTLESHIPS CRUSHED MY FLEET AND NUKING EARTH
800%: now

Would NPR use carriers? I've encountered FACs only when I entered NPR's home system. They usually use battleships as the backbone of their fleet. In this game, I've encontered many hedgehog-like battleships with over 30 10cm laser cannon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:07:17 pm by JOKER_G »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:32 pm »

The AI shipbuilding is pretty primitive. I don't think you'll come across any NPR carriers or fighters, with the notable exception of the Star Swarm.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1346