Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins  (Read 6036 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2024, 10:05:23 pm »

I scumread EP pretty hard for his one word post as a result of the post count.

Not really a good or bad thing, just something that happened.

Yeah, I was already scumreading EP for being a bit different in playstyle - that one word post, to 'unhelpfully' answer the exact question I asked, both made me think that was more the EP I'm used to seeing as town, and an EP that doesn't think working with me is useful, helpful, wise, or important; thinks I'm probably scum.  If scum, I thought EP was doing that to help measure the group's willingness to elim me D1, agreeing with the agreeable-to-everyone-else EP that Imp is for killing.

Clearly that wasn't what was actually going on (though maybe EP felt it not useful to 'help' me, or maybe just intentionally answered exactly the question I asked, even 'helpfully' so... I know how to prompt engineer, I just wasn't using that skill set on my fellow human  :o )

But this game I felt like scum because of how weak my reads of everyone else were.... that darn post limit, maybe :D

I found the post limit profoundly affecting.  It affected my play and my reads.

That said, I don't protest it, I think it was fair and acceptable, I'd join another game with it, it's just another modifier to me.  In practice, it turned out generous and adequate, even players that appeared to respond to it by posting more than they usually seem to (EP, CM - maybe other reasons, but both of them posted a lot for a D1, it seems to me) stayed well within the limit.

In terms of bringing me personally into the game, engaging my interest, making me feel 'satisfied' and 'like I actually played' - the post limit hinders that.  It's like (I imagine) drinking a non-alcoholic beer when you would like to feel drunk soon... it kinda isn't gonna support that, you gotta imagine the effect.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2024, 10:22:04 pm »

Nah, I just thought it'd be bad to answer that question at that moment and found it funnier to say "yes" than to explain why.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2024, 10:29:05 pm »

Nah, I just thought it'd be bad to answer that question at that moment and found it funnier to say "yes" than to explain why.

Great to know.  Yeah, my reads were really, really off (I think and feel) this game.  I presume the post limit's part of it.  Everyone felt unlike they usually are, except MS, and MS is a 'who can read?' - something we often talk about... and three of you fellow players were at least implying you were townreading him (you're all psychic and could sense the chosen one?  I need me some of that...).  Was so weird to me, everything about D1 this game.  Freaking twilight zone!

Let's not play 'in the Pine Trees' again, mmmhmmm?  :D

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2024, 10:30:29 pm »

I mean, +1 play Demonology again.  Just... not within the Twilight Zone as we play it!   8)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Day 2 - Summon Your Courage [4 / 6]
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2024, 10:53:19 pm »

Merciless
The Chosen One has a one-Shot Deify and a one-Shot Kill.
The Chosen One Inspects as Evil and cannot Reveal.

OMG.  Web...

Always has Reveal.
The Chosen One receives powers based on their Prophecy.

Would you have 'revealed' to us that the 'always has reveal' Chosen One did not, this time, have reveal?

Because that... matters.  I'd have struggled badly with that, because that's absolutely true game fact being not true, if you didn't in some way clue us in, if we have a supposedly chosen one who was saying I can't reveal.  Even without a counterclaim... I'd be like "Well, the real chosen one doesn't want to counterclaim you?  But the real chosen one always has reveal...."

How would you have handled that?
The Chosen One would have Reveal.  It would just be Unusable.  Not entirely bastard, just not expected.

The Chosen One would still be able to claim this, as the Chosen One receives the Prophecy.

I would not have publicly revealed that.  I don't see this as necessarily bad.  I think the Chosen One is a bit outside the realms of the other roles, and it's kinda like scum and them have their own mini-battle.  I kinda want more of that battle to happen, but it's a bit harder to get it going.

By the way, was there a deadchat?
There was not.  I was very lazy.

Also, was the post limit detrimental or positive, in your experience?
It was positive because it made everyone else post less :v

So, is there things you liked, didn't like, or would change?

I hoped people would think that, but I was a Disciple with Nullify, Decay, and Frame (!). Pretty bad powerset for a 6-man game, but that's RNG.

webadict: Frame feels all but useless in town hands. Theoretically it protects the target from scum rolecops, but that isn't worth turning them into a miller. If there was a way to change rolename but not alignment -- an option, a single tier that's either-or instead of AND, giving the Evil part an "if you're evil" rider -- then it would be fine.
Good point.  I think Frame being a choice of alignment and/or role would be a fun change.  I did kind of give you some negative Actions, which was a bit intentional as it was some testing, so I hope you didn't mind it too much.

One thing I didn't like when creating the roles was the Always/Sometimes/Rarely mods.  I think just having a pool of available mods would be better.  I will admit that choosing the Ranks was kind of fun, but I'd have to make some changes.  I also probably made the Demon a bit weaker, but I gave some decent prophecies in exchange.  It was always gonna be a bit tough for Crystal, but I think it was very close!
It didn't bother me at all for the same reason my role was so weak: the game didn't go to N2.

I like Always/Sometimes/Rarely as a way of distinguishing between core and periphery abilities of a role, but I can see how it'd feel limiting. Maybe fold together Sometimes and Rarely?

This would bloat role PMs and increase the amount of work you had to do, but it'd be convenient if role PMs listed all tiers of all abilities possessed by the role (or just those the player could access), not just the one tier the player has. It's easy information to find, but the player is definitely going to need it, so why not just give it to them? As an example of what that might look like:

Elephant Parade - Disciple

You are the disciple of the great illusionist, Francesca Lión.  She taught you the importance of misdirection, hiding in plain sight, and the ways to fight that which denies logic.  No one denied that.  Others may not be able to see through the ruses that control others, but you can.

Role:  Disciple
Alignment:  Good
(Auto) Disciple:  Investigate Abilities performed on you fail.
{3AP} (1-Shot, Night) Overload I:  Use another Ability you control as though it were Rank 0.  Destroy that Ability.
{1AP} (Single, Night) Frame I [target]:  Target permanently Inspects as Evil and a Role of your choice.
{3AP} (Night) Nullify I [target]:  Destroy the target’s Auto Abilities.
{2AP} (Night) Decay II [target]:  Downgrade all Actions the target used during this Phase by one Rank.
Spoiler: Other Ability Ranks (click to show/hide)
Those seem like good ideas.  Also, yeah, I didn't expect this game to make it past Day 2.  It was very much a "let's try a few different things", but nothing too big.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Day 2 - Summon Your Courage [4 / 6]
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2024, 11:14:20 pm »

The Chosen One would have Reveal.  It would just be Unusable.  Not entirely bastard, just not expected.

The Chosen One would still be able to claim this, as the Chosen One receives the Prophecy.

I would not have publicly revealed that.  I don't see this as necessarily bad.  I think the Chosen One is a bit outside the realms of the other roles, and it's kinda like scum and them have their own mini-battle.  I kinda want more of that battle to happen, but it's a bit harder to get it going.

Well, we found out this game in the least harmful way possible, I think.

CM, thanks for being kind to us; I would have totally taken the merciless prophecy had I been the chosen evil one :D

But now we can refer to this in future Demonology games, and have some idea to know how bent the rules might be, at least between chosen and evil chosen.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2024, 12:15:23 am »

Also, was the post limit detrimental or positive, in your experience?
Overwhelmingly positive imho. It makes it so much easier to read back what everyone said with much less irrelevant chaff to wade through.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2024, 11:19:14 am »

Don't really have an opinion, other than AP system being god. Hope you feel better Quarque, just didn't have any info day 1.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2024, 11:42:06 am »

Hope you feel better Quarque, just didn't have any info day 1.
Thank you. You going after me was absolutely fine, what made me feel bad was my own uh
200 iq move

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2024, 04:42:02 pm »

Thought: As written, Reveal can be taken by Steal, allowing scum to fake a town confirm on themselves and break LYLO. It can also be destroyed by Decay 0.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2024, 06:37:42 pm »

Thought: As written, Reveal can be taken by Steal, allowing scum to fake a town confirm on themselves and break LYLO. It can also be destroyed by Decay 0.
Reveal should be destroyable and stealable, but I know that it needs a rewrite.  Probably something like "If you are the Chosen One, publicly reveal your Role and gain two votes."

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 23, 2024, 12:50:37 am »

This is more a funny loophole than a serious problem, but Tinker II doesn't specify any limits on what modifiers can be added to abilities, meaning that you could turn a (One-Shot) into a nonsensical (One-Shot, Two-Shot). If Two-Shot implies that X-shot can exist for any X, then you could make an ability 99-Shot and freely modify it with Tinker I afterward.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 23, 2024, 06:33:45 am »

This is more a funny loophole than a serious problem, but Tinker II doesn't specify any limits on what modifiers can be added to abilities, meaning that you could turn a (One-Shot) into a nonsensical (One-Shot, Two-Shot). If Two-Shot implies that X-shot can exist for any X, then you could make an ability 99-Shot and freely modify it with Tinker I afterward.
It IS funny, especially because 1-Shot would supercede them.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 23, 2024, 11:46:07 am »

Reveal should be destroyable and stealable, but I know that it needs a rewrite.  Probably something like "If you are the Chosen One, publicly reveal your Role and gain two votes."
I think the public reveal should work regardless of role because it's hilarious. Might be too strong in a town Thief's hands, though.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]