Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651754 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Pokemon Go Release has Begun!
« Reply #4860 on: July 15, 2016, 07:18:26 am »

But I haven't upgraded them at all, I thought it was better to wait for higher base stats or something.
Yeah, that's a good call. When you level up, the max CP/HP of pokemon you control goes up. Wild pokemon seem to fall in some distribution across your range of valid CP, and upgrading a pokemon adds some percentage (?) of the total CP bar. (Evolving increases a pokemon's max CP, but keeps pokemon at the same % of max CP.) So: evolve whenever you feel like, but wait to power up until you get some levels.

I put a bird on a friendly gym, don't I get to collect coins from that somehow?  This is quite confusing, but so was Ingress initially.
I only found out about this because of a friend, since of course the game doesn't bother explaining anything to you. Once every 21 hours you can go to the store page and cash out some coins based on how many gyms you control.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: July 15, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

I'm getting into it after all.  I already walk a ton so adding pokemon to the mix is just a bonus, and there's a bunch of gyms and stops maybe a mile away.

Already taken over by eeveelutions though, and I can't even find one regular eevee, even though there's always one or two on the radar.

There's a 360CP gym in town but I'm sure it's already been eevee'd by now.  Almost got a pidgeot.
Shoes...

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: July 15, 2016, 09:46:36 am »

PTW

These server issues, blech.  I hope it dies down as the novelty wears off and people drop the game.
I have never successfully loaded the shop, it's always a white rectangle.
During daylight hours, about a third of the time my pokeball will just sit there forever with the pokemon in it.  Iphone users apparently can resolve this by bringing up the phone menu or something, but on Droid I just have to restart.
This weekend it was basically unplayable, (I only ever managed to catch one thing after the tutorial.)

Blech.  I guess I just need to play late at night, though of course that can be dangerous.
I just reached level 5 today, and joined blue team because my friends did.  Here's how they described it:
Red is mostly young people with bedtimes, they rule the day.
Blue is college students and night owls who reconquer around midnight
Yellow is 4chan (or more generically, memesters)

Dunno if there's any truth to that.  I did shake hands with a cool Red-teamer I met at a gym though!  I told him I was level 5 and he let me have a go against just 1 pokemon for my first battle.
Of course it was some level 400 feathery lightning asshole and utterly destroyed my lvl ~40 pokemon, particularly since I had no idea how to control them :P  But I haven't upgraded them at all, I thought it was better to wait for higher base stats or something.
Kinda annoyed that I didn't know upgrading gave experience points, reaching level 5 was a little tricky.  Used an incense, which helped a *lot*, but I suspect those are dear.

I put a bird on a friendly gym, don't I get to collect coins from that somehow?  This is quite confusing, but so was Ingress initially.

The server issues are very irritating. Last night the app was freezing about ever 5 minutes after a long walk. I think it's heat/throttling related. The killer accessory for this game isn't a battery pack, it's a cold pack for the phone.

One of the things I really like about GO is that it makes a good excuse to walk with a friend.  I keep trying to exercise more but it's so boring doing it alone, and paying for gym classes is suboptimal.  I can do a nice 2-mile round trip to the shopping center with friends pretty often though, so I'm excited.

Sidenote: Speaking of battery packs, my Anker candybar powerpack went above and beyond last night and actually charged my phone while we were walking around playing GO.  I'm pretty impressed.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: July 15, 2016, 10:06:24 am »

Anyone knows how to install this in countries where it wasn't released yet?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:25 am »

There are sources offering the .apk, but I'd do some research about it first.  Niantic's already banned some Canadians for sideloading (unknown if permanent or temporary).  It won't auto-update either, that'd be manual.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: July 15, 2016, 11:56:16 am »

So I haven't gone out of my way to personally verify this yet, but I'm seeing the story get passed around more and more.

The Westboro Baptist Church has a Pokemon Gym parked on it.  Someone captured that gym with a Pokemon named LoveIsLove.  The church peoples found out about this and signed up for the game in order to remove that Pokemon.

The Westboro Baptist Church is literally engaging in Pokemon battles with LGBT activists.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: July 15, 2016, 11:58:00 am »

The church peoples found out about this and signed up for the game in order to remove that "sodomite Clefairy".
An actual quote they actually used when announcing they were removing it.
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: July 15, 2016, 12:15:09 pm »

That's wonderful (':

Also my phone ran out of power last night.  It's possible I left the app up, but the screen was off.  I had "power saver mode" on...  Was it patiently checking for pokemon the whole time?  Is that what "power saver mode" does, let the game keep checking while the screen's off?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: July 15, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »

I think power saver mode just does... well, something to save power. No idea what.
IIRC, Pokemon Go still works if you lock your phone (aka the screen's off) but only if it was open when you locked it.
Black lives matter.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: July 15, 2016, 12:19:21 pm »

That's wonderful (':

Also my phone ran out of power last night.  It's possible I left the app up, but the screen was off.  I had "power saver mode" on...  Was it patiently checking for pokemon the whole time?  Is that what "power saver mode" does, let the game keep checking while the screen's off?

Power save mode just means that the phone will put up a dark screensaver when the top edge of the phone is facing downwards. still uses gps/data and vibration.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: July 15, 2016, 01:23:50 pm »

Normally I don't bitch about lol this new generation sux all the pokeman r stupd

But that thing looks fucking dumb.

Also I don't understand how gyms work apparently.  THere's one down the road with a 180 ponyta.  I managed to beat it and then a 400 fearow showed up.  The gym leader is an 1100 golbat.  Do I have to take out the entire gym with one party?  If I beat the ponyta, flee, and heal up, will I have to fight it again?

If I find a team valor gym am I able to add one of my pokemon to it?  Do I get whatever rewards there are for controlling a gym if I'm not the high CP?  Can gyms be done co-op?

Also I'm a little confused, cause somebody said you can feel free to evolve whatever.  If I understand it right, evolving increases your pokemon's CP but keeps its position on the CP curve the same.  So wouldn't it only make sense to evolve max-CP pokemon, or as close to max as possible?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:26:57 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:09 pm »

The store finally loaded for me just now!  It still took a few seconds, maybe 5, but at least it's working now.
I guess after noon is a time the servers actually work.  That and after 10PM EST.
Being on the east coast actually hurts for once I guess, since west coast kids use the same servers.
She/they

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:07 pm »

The church peoples found out about this and signed up for the game in order to remove that "sodomite Clefairy".
An actual quote they actually used when announcing they were removing it.
Even better, they're fighting back with Jigglypuff.

wat

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: July 15, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »

If I find a team valor gym am I able to add one of my pokemon to it?  Do I get whatever rewards there are for controlling a gym if I'm not the high CP?  Can gyms be done co-op?

Yes you can, assuming there's an empty slot. The amount of trainers that can reinforce a gym is dependent on its prestige level, which can be raised by training at the gym. All trainers with a pokemon stationed at a gym receive the rewards from it. You can technically co-op a gym if all people attack it simultaneously, which will be the same mechanically but since you're all attacking it at once the prestige levels will go down at a proportionally faster rate.

Also I'm a little confused, cause somebody said you can feel free to evolve whatever.  If I understand it right, evolving increases your pokemon's CP but keeps its position on the CP curve the same.  So wouldn't it only make sense to evolve max-CP pokemon, or as close to max as possible?

CP bonuses scale with the power boost from evolution, and the stardust cost remains the same, so you can evolve them whenever. But it's more cost efficient to evolve pokemon that are already at a high power level when you catch them.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: July 15, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »

A friend of mine was saying that the efficiency of improving is different for different pokemon lines at different evolution levels.  So it might be better to train one evolution at the base stage, but another type of pokemon might be better trained better at the second stage.

It's thunderstorming almost constantly up here right now, so I can't really test.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 463