Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181497 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2016, 05:01:20 am »

I'm quite fond of US nationalism, because, for all its downsides, it's civic nationalism rather than ethnic nationalism. It provides as strong identity anyone can claim regardless of religion, race or whatev.

As for VAT and the EU, I'm no expert, but I'm quite surprised Palsch, since the Wiki page of the UK Budget claims that the 2016 Budget include scrapping the Tampon tax. Although since they say it's from 5 to 0%.

Edit: Ok, looking into it, it seemed it was floored to 5% by EU law, and then Dave got the Coucil to agree to an exception.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2016, 05:09:59 am »

Tampons are taxed specifically in the UK? o.O

I have zero problem with cultural genocide.
um, you're okay with languages and traditions being wiped out?

Anyway, serious questions time. I know I'm about as anti-America as people get, but... you guys seriously tolerate American patriotism? Even the asinine "WE WON BOTH WORLD WARS EVERYONE IS IN OUR DEBT" claptrap? I... am astounded. Never have I seen people (other than Americans) who don't have a problem with the whole FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY and MILITARISM shtick.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2016, 05:23:57 am »

Lol, a reporter from New York Times wrote an article about which European city has the most chance of becoming the new financial capital.
According to him, it is Amsterdam. "Not only does 90% of Dutch population speak english, many speak it better than the English themselves".

Now I'm not sure if that's a compliment, coming from an American. I ain't got no clue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/after-brexit-finding-a-new-london-for-the-financial-world-to-call-home.html?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FStewart%2C%20James%20B.&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection&_r=1
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:31:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2016, 05:29:30 am »

Tampons are taxed specifically in the UK? o.O

Nah, they're taxed as part of the VAT. I dunno about the English case, but the fight against the "tampon tax" AFAIK was a very big thing in France, where tampons were taxed at the general VAT rate (19% IIRC) instead of the rate for necessities (6%? I don't remember). Which was pretty infuriating when things like razors and shaving cream where taxed at the necessity rate.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2016, 05:32:34 am »

Haha yeah I remember that. I think there was protest against high VAT instead of low VAT for tampons over here in the Netherlands too, a few years ago.
Don't know if they actually moved it to the low VAT or not. Probably yes. Our government fears naked women protesting in Amsterdam ever since the 1960s.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:27 am »

given that you're currently using a USA-developed device with USA-developed programs, and send us messages through a USA-developed communication system "Internet".
Not that it's black and white, but a Welshman developed the NPL Network in England before ARPANET took on his concept of packet-switching; the Web came from CERN, in Europe; and many elements of silicon fabrication and related device development arose or were improved upon outside the US, or else its the Miles M52 vs Bell X1 thing all over again.

But it's all human development.  I'm sure we'll forget (further) all the differences when the aliens try to invade.  Again.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2016, 05:39:33 am »

Is it just me or is protesting a few cents worth of tax kinda silly
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2016, 05:42:03 am »

Anyway, serious questions time. I know I'm about as anti-America as people get, but... you guys seriously tolerate American patriotism? Even the asinine "WE WON BOTH WORLD WARS EVERYONE IS IN OUR DEBT" claptrap? I... am astounded. Never have I seen people (other than Americans) who don't have a problem with the whole FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY and MILITARISM shtick.
I tolerate it when it is funny, but I'm a Texan by the grace of Thor's Hammer, so nationalism seems sillier than usual from my perspective.

If you want, you can replace FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY with 'Murica(-nism) and people will get it over here at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2016, 05:44:46 am »

Is it just me or is protesting a few cents worth of tax kinda silly
Nah in case of the tampons it's not. The women actually have a point. It's not their choice that they bleed a few days every month. Low VAT is for basic nescessities, high VAT for luxury goods. In a society where your floor manager does not allow you to go to the bathroom to wash up and change undies a few times a day, a few days each month, tampons are a nescessity and not a luxury.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2016, 05:49:40 am »

The fact that razors are covered as necessities when shaving is a choice, but at least something men can take part in, for whatever reason, yet bleeding regularly is neither a choice nor something men have to deal with, is indeed completely fucked up.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:00 am »

In France at least it was a 15% surcharge on tampons and other hygienic products. I have like, no idea how much those things costs per year but I guess it's more than a few cents.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2016, 05:51:20 am »

I have zero problem with cultural genocide.
um, you're okay with languages and traditions being wiped out?
Yes, if it's necessary for social progress. There are far too many traditions in the world that are centered around institutionalized oppression of some selected parts of population, like women or homosexuals, and I would have no problems if these were to go away. Languages are more tricky, but I'm of opinion that there are far too many languages as it is, and the world would benefit greatly if there were less languages, since it would mean easier integration of societies.

They did win both world wars. They emerged vastly stronger after both of these conflicts, and that's what actually counts as a real victory. Furthermore, they used results on their victories to tremendously promote the causes of social, economical and technological progress. Everyone is in their debt, because most other countries would've used such victories to launch a world-wide campaign of oppression. We know that, because that's what USSR tried to do after WW2.

I don't know what you're astounded at, honestly. Americans can sometimes be annoying to deal with, yes, but that's a necessary and unavoidable side-effect of the measures that needed to be taken in order to keep a continental-sized country together and set on a course of progress. Look at South America's utter failure of a continent to see how USA could've ended, if not for American patriotism.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2016, 05:53:05 am »

Just, errr... don't pay attention to our crumbling infrastructure, education system, or big fat lardy asses...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2016, 05:58:36 am »

For what it's worth, I'm with Sergarr. Sure, it's annoying to see murricans go "DURR DURR AMERICA", but that's the price to pay for the good side of American nationalism.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2016, 06:09:13 am »

Though, without having such a big scary bogeyman there is reason to doubt that the US contribution to history would have wound up the same way, so here's to the USSR.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 126