Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: CCS now under development  (Read 32098 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: CCS now under development
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2010, 04:37:51 pm »

I'd be interested in an updated version. Might watch the OVA first to get some background info.

edit: What would be REALLY helpful for a new player is a quick tutorial, you know "start as X, walk north into silk doll (up arrow), hit (>) to enter the building, go to the back, call your friends and tell them to meet you there and then do this to get your first mission).

I start the game and I'm like ??? wtf, mate? It sounds really neat, but I don't know enough about the game to even get to the load out screen or fighting boomers. I wandered around the lingeire shop until I got bored and quit because I couldn't figure out how to leave (I hit the > key but not Shift+> to actually make a >)

It doesn't have to be 100% THE ONLY WAY TO START THE GAME but a little simple tutorial to take the player through some major concepts in the game would be really helpful. That's how I learned DF, I read the guide on "your first fort" and watched a couple youtube vids.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:06:08 pm by praguepride »
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2010, 04:29:36 pm »

I slapped something together and placed it
here under the "Other Games--> Play with your Buddies" part of the forum.  I have to start over anyways because of Mackie.
EDIT: Started making the tutorial, and linked to it.

LordBucket, any idea how I can make sure Mackie always is available?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2010, 11:13:50 pm »

any idea how I can make sure Mackie always is available?

I think that bug was fixed in an unreleased development copy. I have a stack of hard drives on my desk now...I'm going to see if I can find it, clean it up and release it as V056.

EDIT:
Found it, and have spent the past several hours fixing misc bugs and things. V056 should be out in a day or two.

Incidentally...

calling Mackie gives me no option for him to retrieve the boomer

There is a bug in V055 regarding salvage, but I just noticed the way you phrased this. Are you certain that there is any salvage to be retreived? Boomer salvage is not generated at time of destruction. Boomers use the same component system as hardsuits. What parts are left over after combat is a function of what you destroy during battle. With tactical mode enabled, you can see damage to a boomer in the upper right. Red is completely destroyed. Any location that goes red will leave no salvage.

The trick to getting good salvage comes from the fact that boomers can be destroyed in one of two ways: either by destroying their torso, or destroying everything other than their torso. Either way, the parts that you don't destroy can be salvaged. But if you damage everything to red, there will be no salvage.

Are you guys running into the bug, or are you just completely destroying your boomers? If you're using melee attacks, there's no way to control your targetting. Only ranged attacks are affected by the "t"arget toggle.

Also...not sure if it's V055 or not, but at once time there was an issue with the "back" location on a boomer not being targettable, which meant that if you destroyed head, legs and arms, the back was still intact and thus the boomer wouldn't be destroyed. If you want to get salvage, to be safe, try destroying only the torso, rather than everything but the torso.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »

The back is not targettable, but it also is not necessary for destroying the boomer.  I've killed boomers by just destroying the limbs, I've killed boomers by only destroying the torso, and there was usually enough left so I could get something if salvage was enabled.

But thanks for the clarification on salvage.  Do you like the LP/tutorial so far?

EDIT: New stuff added to tutorial.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:22 pm »

Do you like the LP/tutorial so far?
[

Yes! Thank you for doing it. It's great to see this much interest in the game.

Let's migrate Bubblegum Crisis discussion over to that thread. This thread was supposed to be about Crime Squad, but it seems we've hijacked it. :)

Incidentally, status on Crime Squad: on hold until this bug is fixed. In theory the engine will be going to beta soon, but "soon" might be another month.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:25 pm »

I had the same thought both on transferring BGC discussion out and on asking how CCS is coming.  Seeing as this is the Conservative Crime Squad Thread, I call you wise without that being an insult, lol.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

how CCS is coming

To start working on combat I need to have the equipment system already in place. The problem is that T-engine assumes only one character, not many characters. I get around that in Bubblegum Crisis by having a completely custom equipment system, and I'll need to do the same for Crime Squad.

The difference is that in Crime Squad, unlike BGC, players will need to be able to interact with items at sites. Pick them up, drop them, etc. So the plan is to create a hybrid equipment system, that uses the engine to handle item generation and get/drop actions, but stores everything in my own arrays for use by the various Crime Squad members, site stockpiles, etc.

Doing that will require a bugfix, as presently the engine is incapable (for some reason) of storing "item" datatypes in the savefile outside of the automated player equipment pool. So Crime Squad is on hold for the moment.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2010, 11:45:07 am »

I would like to *swoop* in from five weeks into the future to say that's too bad, and I'm still looking forward to seeing a build of this once you are able to get it working!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:26 am »

Thank you. Project is still sitting here, but I haven't touched it in five weeks. I really need that bug fixed to proceed. According to comments in the T3 bug tracker, the problem has been identified as a section of code that's been commented out presumably because it doesn't work for some unknown reason...but from what I can tell the team recently lost a coder and those who are left are focusing on other thigns with higher priority.

So...we wait.

Or, I suppose...pester the devteam. Sometimes that works, but I think they're tired of listening to me prod them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:25 am »

I think they're tired of listening to me prod them.

You need to move on to Cattleprod!  That'll show 'em.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »

Status report?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2011, 02:45:54 am »

Is the CCS mod still going?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2011, 11:33:57 pm »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »

Current Status March 21, 2010
On hold pending a bug fix.

While LordBucket waits for BUGFIX2000...I've been playing around with the idea of creating a CCS game focused on "Basemode" (that is, what LCS calls everything other than running around and actually committing crimes in "sites")...

However, one thing that holds me back is the ABORTION issue. Abortion is a key issue to be reflected in CCS...after all, conservatism in the USA is the fusion of religion and free market capitalism. We could make issues look "free market" and appear semi-justifiable at first glance, and there are non-religious arguments against abortion, but generally abortion is perceived as a religious issue and thus needs to be placed in the CCS game. Also, anti-abortion terrorism.

My goal is to present C+ in a manner that does not offend actual Conservatives while still partly reflecting (and satirizing) actual extreme Conservative positions. One way to do that is to just have the C+ law effectively ban all abortions by saying "Life begins at conception". But that does seem rather offensive to Conservatives, especially those who believe abortion should be illegal except in case of rape or the women's health is in danger. In addition, Saudi Arabia, one of the most religiously conservative places in the world, allow abortions up to 40 days after conception. Since I don't really want to offend conservatives, I would rather prefer the C+ laws to place numerous and onerous restrictions on abortion, but not to ban it entirely. Here was four different proposals for abortion laws.

Quote from: LordBucket
L++   DIY Abortion kits are available from free dispensers at every elementary school.
 L+   Abortion services are provided freely to anyone at state sponsored clinics
 M   Abortion is legal
 C+   Abortion is legal during early stages of pregnancy
 C++   Accidental miscarriage is a crime

Quote from: Winner
L+ DIY Abortion kits are available from free dispensers at every elementary school.
C+ An Unborn child is given full rights as a citizen.

Quote from: Johnatan S. Fox
Abortion: Legal protection is afforded to children from the point of conception.

Quote from: EuchreJack
Commie-Liberal: Killing of the Unborn is mandated for anyone who already has a child.
Liberal: Abortion is the most common form of birth control
Moderate: Abortion is legal in some cases.
Conservative: Abortion is only legal in the case of rape or deficient mental capability, and only if requested by the mother.
Pure Conservative: Abortion requires a two-thirds vote of Congress and Presidential Authorization
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:34:06 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »

Well, I speak without authority on this matter, but I don't think a blanket prohibition on abortion would be offensive to Conservatives. Polls show a complete ban on abortion is supported by somewhere between 10% and 25% of the US population. The line that "Life begins at conception" is a very popular one, and it captures the philosophical argument against abortion. The right to life viewpoint holds that the unborn child is ethically equivalent to a born child. You don't get to murder your babies just because you were raped, even by a family member. A child does not deserve the death penalty for the father's crimes.

Some people feel that the burden on the mother is too high in those extreme cases, and abortion should just be heavily regulated, banned in other cases. But this seems to be an odd argument, a bastardization of the pro-life position used by politicians to moderate their stance slightly so as to improve their chances of being elected. In LCS terms, it's a C position, held by many, preferable to the current state of things, but still a watered down and inconsistent compromise. If you truly believe abortion is murder, then why would the mother being raped ever impinge on that child's right to not be brutally executed?

Five GOP senate candidates in 2010 were pro-life with absolutely no exceptions. Of the five, one (Rand Paul) was elected.

Some people and groups that oppose abortion, with no exceptions:

http://prolifeaction.org/faq/stand.php#rape
http://angelawittman.blogspot.com/2005/02/100-pro-life-no-exception-no-compromise.html
http://www.priestsforlife.org/magisterium/bishops/malooly-biden-2.htm
http://www.lifedynamics.com/Pro-life_Group/
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12