Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 387983 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #570 on: August 05, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »

Not all domestic issues require violence (unless that's your thing - all leadership disputes solved with duels, anyone?), sadly.

The original, ill-fitting magic system was basically built around these power sources called Aspects (such as Thought or Entropy). Wizards would be able to prepare some to use just like that, but for a large part they would be found in Anchors. These were things bound with magic temporarily or permanently, from simple words (like Ignis! granting a point of Primal needed for a fire spell) to magical ingredients (fetch me a newt's eye and fellroot!) and artifacts.

There were also Cosmic Anchors, such as an admission of love, spoken truly, that were very powerful and seemingly eternal Anchors that even mortals could partially access.

Spells required expending Aspects, and Anchors made them cheaper/more powerful. If the Fire spell from above required two points of Primal, you could just shout Ignis! and only have to spend one of your own.

But I digress. It's not that fitting here, but by Jove I'll use it someday.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »

Maybe if you do one that involves working under gods? You know they grant you aspects for your continued service and following of their creeds and you continue being slightly more than human.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 06, 2013, 08:56:36 pm »

So I just had an idea for a game that I think could be fun.
All the players wake up effectively naked with no weapons and no fighting skills besides flailing at the person they're fighting.  However they have in their possession a giant monster of some kind. The giant monster is there for combat, making bases, and shares the players stats. (The physical ones are multiplyed as needed.)  The goal of the game is to basically build a kingdom from ground up using your giant and any thing you manage to grab for yourself.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »

Spoiler: The idea. (click to show/hide)

Started this.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #574 on: August 07, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »

Can you actually froth at the mouth in anticipation? At least in a way that doesn't imply that you're anticipating horrible, horrible things and not wonderful, wonderful things?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 18, 2013, 09:06:18 am »

Because my SGs never seem to get posters, another RPG idea for after I'm finished.
I say RPG. Minimal mechanics, maximum RP. more like a godhood, without the omnipotence.
Basically, players are 'demons' in my persistent world thingy. Not incredibly powerful ones though. Turns are ~ 1 month.
Tasks have DCs, and a die is rolled against it and situational modifiers added, as made up on the spot by me.
the die rolled depends on what stat is used:
Body: Physical
Mind: Intellect, runic magic
Soul: Charisma, non-runic magic
Each stat is assigned a die at character creation from d4,d6,d8. As power increases, these may go up.

Think that covers everything. The goal is more about creating an interesting story than looking for +1 shinies.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 18, 2013, 09:08:58 am »

Because my SGs never seem to get posters, another RPG idea for after I'm finished.
I say RPG. Minimal mechanics, maximum RP. more like a godhood, without the omnipotence.
Basically, players are 'demons' in my persistent world thingy. Not incredibly powerful ones though. Turns are ~ 1 month.
Tasks have DCs, and a die is rolled against it and situational modifiers added, as made up on the spot by me.
the die rolled depends on what stat is used:
Body: Physical
Mind: Intellect, runic magic
Soul: Charisma, non-runic magic
Each stat is assigned a die at character creation from d4,d6,d8. As power increases, these may go up.

Think that covers everything. The goal is more about creating an interesting story than looking for +1 shinies.
Oh goodie! I do like meself a good RP filled game.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:18 am »

intro written, to be released when a certain point is reached in my current RPG. Mainly because it will provide a nice set up for the game ;)

Annnnnndddddd Here!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:42:15 pm by sjm9876 »

Sigtext

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:26 am »

So I was working around with Left 4 Dead and I thought “Why not…” so I made this! Figured I’d show it here for any preliminary aspects that need fixed.

Survivors
Each player must fill out the following sheet in order to be considered for the game. The players will be together for an entire campaign so it’s important to try to flesh out who you are.
Spoiler: Survivor Sheet (click to show/hide)
Similar to the game there are no stats. Every survivor functions identically in combat. Unlike the game however the limit of players in the survivor team is very soft but cannot exceed 8. The selected “starting 4” can vote to allow extra players in or not. Adding players is very beneficial as it allows for more fire-power. However it also increases the zombie count and the difficulty slightly.

Weaponry and Items
You won’t get very far without a weapon and some items. Each item fills a specific slot in your load-out and replaces that slots previous occupant.

Primary Weapons
Primary weapons are powerful but have a drawback of needing to reload every few uses. Furthermore they have an “Ammo Count” that needs to be replenished. If this number is reached and hasn’t been replenished at an “Ammo Pile” then the primary weapon can no longer be used.

All weapons follow this template:
Spoiler: Weapon Template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pump Shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SMG (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: M16 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ak-47 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Auto Shotgun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bolt-Action Rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sniper Rifle (click to show/hide)

Flame Thrower

Grenade Launcher

Secondary Weapons
This weapons are weaker than primary weapons but never need to be reloaded and sometimes have special abilities.

Spoiler: Pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dual Pistols (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Revolver (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Melee Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chain Saw (click to show/hide)

Backpack
Backpack items provide a powerful bonus to the team whether through healing, special ammos, or even reviving dead team-mates. All of these items are one use only and disappear afterwards.

Spoiler: Health Kit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Defibrillator (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Incendiary Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Explosive Ammo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Laser Sight (click to show/hide)

Throwable
These one use items are auxiliary weapons that can provide a number of interesting effects but are almost always offensive.

Spoiler: Grenade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pipe Bomb (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Molotov (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bile Jar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Caltrops (click to show/hide)

Pocket
This one use items are essentially secondary back-pack items. They tend to provide lesser effects that will fade over time.

Spoiler: Pain Pills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adrenaline Shot (click to show/hide)

The Infected
The Infected are the enemy and the main obstacle to your survival. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Alone they are weak. Together they will likely give you a hard time.

Spoiler: Infected Template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Common Infected (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Hunter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Smoker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Boomer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Charger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Spitter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Jockey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Tank (click to show/hide)

Death
If a player is incapacitated 3 times without being healed or if they are not picked up after being incapacitated quickly enough then the players character is dead. They may take no actions nor may they influence the game in any way. But is this the end of your adventure? If even one survivor remains than it doesn’t have to be. Defibrillators are a powerful item for this very reason.

Incapacitation
When a player reaches 0 health they are incapacitated. While incapacitated you cannot use most of your weapons or any of your items. While incapacitated you lose 20 health per survivor turn plus any damage that infected do to you. Furthermore you only have 2 action point neither of which can be used to move.

Being Pinned
When you are pinned by a special infected you continuously take damage per survivor turn [each time a player’s turn comes around] and have 0 Action Points.

Areas and Events of interest

Closets will be found every so often where a dead character might just be found barricaded inside. If one of the surviving players opens the door the dead character is brought back with a single pistol and 50 health.

Safe Rooms mark the beginning and end of each chapter. Each one holds four health kits, two weapons, two pocket items, and a single throwable. As an added bonus most infected cannot destroy safe room doors so they are as they are advertise: Safe. Even better all dead survivors will respawn inside of a safe room after a chapter is completed with 50 health and a pistol.

Car Alarms are a dangerous hazard. If one is activated [via being shot by a stray bullet, being hit by a throwable, or even by having a survivor make contact] it will trigger one of three crescendo event: Either a small horde will attack, a tank may spawn nearby, or a crazed survivor group will attack. It is best to exercise a lot of caution when one of these is nearby.

Rescue Vehicle mark the end of the campaign. After a finale is completed an uber-horde will spawn. At the same time a rescue vehicle will arrive and open its doors for the survivors. Once all non-incapacitated survivors are inside the vehicle the campaign is completed and you win. If you are downed inside the Rescue Vehicle you still win. All who are left behind are considered dead and therefore lose.

Crescendo Events
These are event that ramp the difficulty up for an undefined amount of time. They are placed in order to kick up the amount of action. Some of these allow you to decide when to trigger them while others occur randomly.

Horde: During a horde a large amount of common infected spawn and attack the players regardless of where they are located. These can occur randomly, during a finale, during a Survival section, during a gauntlet section, or during a car alarm.

Tank Attack: During a tank attack a single tank spawn and does its best to kill the survivors. These can occur randomly, during a finale, or during a car alarm.

Crazed Survivors: These insane survivors are randomly equipped with a single item/weapon and will try to end your status as living. There are always between 1-4 of them.. Crazed Survivors automatically die when they are incapacitated. Infected are just as likely to attack Crazed Survivors as your group. These can occur only during Car Alarms.

Survival Section: During this crescendo event the survivors must survive for a random amount of time. Afterwards the crescendo ends.

Gauntlet Section: During this crescendo event the survivors must reach a predetermined point and use an Action Point to press a button that will end the event. This event will continue forever otherwise.

Finale: Finales are ramped up versions of a Survival Section or a Gauntlet section. Both involve two large hordes, two tanks, and an uber-horde. The large hordes and tank sections are randomly assigned an order to occur in.

Uber-Horde: Occurring only at the end of a finale the Uber-horde comprises of a Large horde and two tanks at the same time.

Difficulty
Difficulty is just that. It influences how difficult it is to win the game. Difficulty increases Infected Spawn Rates, Infected Damage, Infected Health, Ammo frequency, Item Frequency, and friendly fire damage.

Easy – In this game mode infected spawn less frequently, deal the least damage possible, have very low health, and items spawn in abundance. Friendly fire is turned off in this mode. This game mode isn’t recommended for players who want a challenge. This difficulty is no longer available with 5 or more survivors.

Normal – This game mode sees a decent infected spawn rate, damage output, and health. Items spawn somewhat frequently but shortages can happen if players aren’t careful. Survivors also take 1/5 damage from each-others weapons. This game mode can be challenging if dice rolls or player decisions do not act favorably. This difficulty is no longer available with 6 or more survivors.

Advanced – This game mode is difficult. Infected spawn frequently and have a heavy damage output with the health to match. Even worse is that items are hard to come by. Further-more survivor weapons do ½ damage to eachother.This game mode is designed to be a real challenge. Expect plenty of death. This difficulty is no longer available with 7 or more survivors.

Expert – This game mode is almost impossible. Infected spawn almost frequently and can kill survivors in just a few hits. Items are almost non-existent. As if this weren’t bad enough survivors do full damage to each other in this game mode. This game mode is only for those who REALLY want a challenge. Death is a constant companion in this mode.  This mode is always available.

How to Play
Goal: The goal of this game is to move from Safe Room to safe room until you reach true safety with the rescue vehicle. In your way there is an entire army of infected.

Action Points: Each survivor has 5 action points with which they can do any of the following actions:
  • Use an Item – Uses an item and creates whatever effect is applicable. See items for more details.
  • Fire a weapon – Pick a target and fire away. This is the most obvious way to kill enemies. See weapons for more details.
  • Move – Moves you character to a new square. See survivors for more details.
  • Shove – Forcibly moves all units in the target square back two spaces. Shoving usually rescues any survivor from the pinned status.
  • Revive Teammate – By standing next to a team-mate who has been incapacitated you can bring them out of the incapacitated status with 30 temporary health.

[Edit: Note: Some things are missing. Witches, Flamethrower, and the Grenade Launcher are a Work in progress so...]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:22:35 am by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 20, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »

Nah, I don't plan anything after FEF2. Possibly will go back to sci-fi games and mecha.

Is there a Mecha Fire Emblem somewhere I can spy on? :P

I'm working on it! But not in the way you spoke. Hmmmm I should consider that. I have the perfect setting and all...

But it's probably a year off or something XD

*crawls into the thread by fingertips*

The deed you requested... is... mostly completed sir...

My brain now feels like mush... but it was worth it. Most likely incredibly unbalanced and unpolished...  but good enough for now...

...don't really have anywhere else to put it...

Here you go...

Spoiler: The World of Argoths (click to show/hide)

...god it feels good to have somewhere to unload this fluff after all these years

reposting here for interest check and seeking balancing advice...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:24:28 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:03 pm »

I would play that regardless, but I'm about to sleep so I'll hold off advice till the mor.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 20, 2013, 10:34:05 pm »

So guys. Homework is already killing me. Also regular work. What's a type of forum game that I can run that

1) Is primarily text based
2) Can be updated in less than 2 hours a day (don't worry I write fast)
3) Doesn't require long-term or constant commitment
4) Doesn't require a lot of bookkeeping
4) Is still pretty interesting and not flat-out a minimalist RTD or something like that?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:36:21 pm by freeformschooler »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 20, 2013, 10:36:14 pm »

Try something like Twilight academy or RotMG. The GMs only need to come in to pump in some plot on occasion and answer questions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:05 pm »

Oh hell no. That's even less of a "game" than a minimalist RTD. It's basically just free RP.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 20, 2013, 10:50:25 pm »

It is fun and so far only one death has been dealt by a GM. And it fits all your creatirea.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 237