Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 387969 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1260 on: June 16, 2014, 01:34:11 pm »

I really don't like the American Revolution/Civil War as a setting, but the system looks promising. Is it just d6? How does damage work?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:49:35 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 16, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »

Then it's a good thing this is apparently the civil war. Also, the idea reminds me of Deadlands a little bit.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1262 on: June 16, 2014, 03:49:45 pm »

Then it's a good thing this is apparently the civil war. Also, the idea reminds me of Deadlands a little bit.
Same thing in my head.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 16, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »

Same thing in my head.

That's unfortunate, considering they were very different wars.

The game actually looks really interesting to me so far. It might be interesting to do a Battle for Wesnoth defense thing where the basic accuracy of attacks is determined by the terrain the defending unit is standing on; a unit standing in the middle of an open field could be hit on a 3+, the base 4+ would be for situations where the defending unit has a little bit of cover to work with (a fence, a low wall, a ditch, small trees/rocks,) a more difficult 5+ for when the unit is well defended (completed field fortifications, dense forest,) and rarely a 6 or bust roll for when the unit is ludicrously well defended and should really only be targeted with artillery (stationed on a hill fortress, holding the high ground behind trees and fortifications, etc.)

Speaking of artillery, do they get their own special rules, or do they just use the base rules with some extra skills added?

Side note, the Civil War is a touch early for barbed wire fortifications; it wasn't invented until shortly after the war, though according to Wikipedia the idea of a wire obstacle allegedly originated in the Knoxville Campaign of the Civil War (the Union used telegraph wire to similar effect.)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1264 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:06 pm »

Same thing in my head.
That's unfortunate, considering they were very different wars.
I mean I dislike them. As a fictional setting. Equally.

That includes Sid Meier's Waterloo (even though I like these kinds of games. close combat is better), Bioshock Infinite (aside from the tech, it's a period piece), Darkest Days, Civil War: Secret Missions, Call of Jaurez, and a lot of western movies. Assassin's Creed III, Empire Total War, Europa Universalis, and a surprising amount of board games.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 16, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Ah, so it's less the wars themselves and more "I don't care for Early Modern warfare," then? Fair enough.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »

Isn't it strange how warfare got less interesting around that time but that got somewhat more interesting when you could actually hit things?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1267 on: June 16, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

^^I do feel that way.

Ah, so it's less the wars themselves and more "I don't care for Early Modern warfare," then? Fair enough.
The warfare is a major part of it, but I just find the entire setting unpalatable. I don't like the people, the buildings, the trees.. It's kind of indescribable. It'd be easier if I had an example right in front of me. But there's a reason no one makes games about those wars. And really the more I learn about the Revolution the less sense the conflict makes politically. I wish it was as easy as saying that one side was in the right but really there were a lot of scumbags on both teams, and aren't there always?

Watching them stand in lines so they can shoot each other really grinds my gears. Cannons are cool for the shootbangs, though.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 16, 2014, 06:00:00 pm »

Didn't revolutionary America avert the standing in lines thing?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1269 on: June 16, 2014, 06:13:31 pm »

Didn't revolutionary America avert the standing in lines thing?
I guess. The colonial army tried to play by the rules most of the time, but they didn't get to do a whole lot anyway. Ironically there wasn't a whole lot of actual fighting in that war.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 16, 2014, 06:42:34 pm »

The Revolutionary War was pretty boring, as far as wars go. The Civil War, on the other hand, was hella neat for any number of reasons, though my favorite ones usually boil down to the era being the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and all the wacky, unforeseen effects that had on warfare. I just now read a few Wikipedia articles on how complex the river battles were; the Western theater is much more interesting than the East, IMO.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 16, 2014, 06:49:24 pm »

You know, speaking of revolutions, someone should do something on Red October. From what I read, it was such an utter clusterfuck of a revolution with a bazillion sides with not many people knowing exactly what was going on. Might make a good setting for an RP.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 16, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »

You know, speaking of revolutions, someone should do something on Red October. From what I read, it was such an utter clusterfuck of a revolution with a bazillion sides with not many people knowing exactly what was going on. Might make a good setting for an RP.
Huh, sounds like YOU AT FINAL BOSS.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 16, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »

YOU ARE RED OCTOBER sounds like either the best or the worst RTD ever... Either way, I'm reserving it and looking up Red October a little.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »

Revolutions and civil wars are my jam. French, Russian, anything goes. There's just something indescribably delicious about it all, so much bloodshed, toppled regimes, powerful leaders, thousands of little factions and groups vying for power.

I've been working on a French Revolutionary-ish game and setting, might run it sometime. That's more of a standard RPG in the period, though - I'd also want to run a revolution game, let players create and lead their factions and try to grab and hold onto power by whatever means necessary.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 237