Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 387977 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2445 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:33 pm »

To be fair, finding out the best stuff for a class is as hard as googling "[class] handbook".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 16, 2015, 05:13:26 pm »

Or you can just google [Redacted] the kobold. That's a quick way to ascend beyond Godhood.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:52:58 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 16, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »

NO! Bad heydude6! No teaching the noobs about kobold cheese yet!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 16, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »

Who needs godhood when you have truenamers, amirite fellas?
amirite
Come on, don't edge away like that.
please
im so lonely
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 16, 2015, 06:35:55 pm »

There are werewasps.
Go home, 3.5, you're drunk.
Haha, wow, I might need to make one of those.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:14 pm »

I once designed a werehydra based on a person's were-magical-beast template... I think it got deleted though...... :'(
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 17, 2015, 12:42:13 am »

Eh, I just kinda want to try out an idea I had for a prestige class based around becoming slower and more heavily encumbered by the spirits of the dead pulling at you all the time. And all the stuff you can fuck around with due to those spirits and whatnot.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:58 am »

That sounds interesting. How would it work?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 17, 2015, 11:02:51 am »

It'd be cool if it was some form of necromancer.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 17, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »

Well, if the main draw back is reduced move speed, it'll be really attractive for casters, since there only casters I've ever heard of that need to be mobile are clerics for buffs and druids for wild shape.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 17, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »

Hmm?

No, it's meant to be for non-casters, at least flavor-wise. The draw isn't reduced move speed, that's just the 'major drawback' that happens because of the abilities. That said, your move speed isn't further reduced by armor...

It's basically necromancy without being a necromancer, in some effects. Might work well with casters, but still.

Stuff like latching ghosts onto people, calling them into your weapons, their sheer mass providing protection and eventually pulling you halfway into being incorporeal, causing/having nightmares, summoning a vortex of the damned or something...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 18, 2015, 12:07:08 am »

Hmm?

No, it's meant to be for non-casters, at least flavor-wise. The draw isn't reduced move speed, that's just the 'major drawback' that happens because of the abilities. That said, your move speed isn't further reduced by armor...

It's basically necromancy without being a necromancer, in some effects. Might work well with casters, but still.

Stuff like latching ghosts onto people, calling them into your weapons, their sheer mass providing protection and eventually pulling you halfway into being incorporeal, causing/having nightmares, summoning a vortex of the damned or something...
Refluff a class similar to Dwarven Defender (not the actual Dwarven Defender though, it sucks, from what I hear).

There are werewasps.
Go home, 3.5, you're drunk.
Haha, wow, I might need to make one of those.
Mate, I don't remember what edition it was from, but there are were-asses (not were-asses, these are donkeys that turn into humans).

Sounds fun. I'm using the tier-based free LA houserule, as well.
Hello shenanigans, my old friend; Ive come to talk with you again.
as a person who's never actually played DnD, despite owning the rulebooks, I have a question
what is this house rule? What does it do?
There's a lot of power disparity in the game. Fighters and monks, to put it mildly, suck. Wizards can singlehandedly do everything before they're half max level. Lots of houserules have been come up with to get around this, from blanket bans on the strong stuff to stuff like giving lower-tier characters "gestalt" abilities where they get to advance in two classes at once. I'm partial to the "Level Adjustment by Tier" rule, where lower-powered characters get to add extra stuff to their characters, like templates and more powerful races like drow and stuff.

Personally, I prefer having a gentleman's agreement with anybody who wants to play stuff like Druids or Wizards, since they're the only one who has fun turning into a bear that shoots bears that spit fire and fart lightning or use the Locate City bomb to eliminate everything in a seventy-mile radius. Some people run high-powered games where the free LA starts coming from everywhere below Tier 1, but I'm more of a Tier 3-baseline kind of guy and intend to start supplying it to Tier 4 (default rangers/rogues/paladins) and under.
Make that two and a half, depending on whether or not I can be arsed to break out Ye Olde Rulebooks once more.
3/2!

How heavily can we optimize?
I'd prefer you not go into full-on munchkin mode, but I don't mind the sort of splatbook-laden min-maxing that internet class guides generally advocate. To an extent, that is.
So... that means I can't go with the phrenic, half-fey, unseelie fey, half-golem, incarnate construct, arctic, desert, necropolitan, spellstitched, venerable gnome (all of that is only +3 LA, and all of the SLA's are usable 3 time per day) Ur-Priest/Sublime Chord build (with a psychic reformation tattoo) that I want to try out?

How about a less-cheesy LE, dragonwrought, kobold sorceror (with Loredrake, if it's allowed) that locks other spell-casters in the back of the party's wagon, hits them with a Feeble-Mind, hooks them up to a torture device, attaches an item to them from the BoVD that turns pain into pleasure, and extracts liquid joy from them? He then casts Dragon-Touch (that's probably not the correct name) on them to give them the [dragon-blooded] subtype for a few minutes, then he casts Dragon-Blood Spell-Pact on them (using the liquid joy to negate the xp cost), and uses them as living spellbooks (I actually really want to play this character, please consider him).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 18, 2015, 12:11:36 am »

Phrenic, spell-stitched, and half-fey are notable for being able to give mundanes some scaling psuedo-spell-casting. Check 'em out if you're giving fighter-types free LA.

Are you using LA buy-off and point-buy (how much?)?

Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 18, 2015, 12:14:33 am »

The things I'm thinking of are a bit too unique (as far as I'm aware) to simply refluff an existing class, ATHATH, I'm afraid.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 237