Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 387971 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2745 on: August 02, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »

Would you prefer a format where players post all their proposals at once, and have them processed simultaneously(ideally at a fixed rate)?
I feel like timezones would be an issue if you did this, though I'm not entirely clear on how it would work.

Alternatively, would you rather player's be able to propose at any time, but have those proposals have a defined end point(A time limit of sorts) by which the votes must be tallied.
The turn-based system seemed to work pretty well.

How large a majority should be game require for proposals to be enacted. More than half? Two thirds? Three Forths? Unanimous?
I'd say half/"positive" (if the support/oppose thing still exists) by default, with the option to make specific rules require a two-thirds/three-quarters/whatever-whatever majority to amend or repeal.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 02, 2016, 03:17:34 pm »

With the first option in question one I sort of meant the turn based system from the old game with the first one. Its not "all at once" so much as "everyone makes one proposal and then votes on the all over the course of the turn, and eventually we move to a new turn once that's done. Its a system somewhat prone to deadlock. The main problem with the turn based system is that someone has to compile everything all in one place frequently, which rather precludes that person from playing, and if that person goes missing, well...

The new system I have in mind is that when someone makes a proposal, it becomes Active for 48 or maybe 72 hours so people can vote on it, and either at the end of that time the votes get tallied, or if there's enough votes that it can be passed or failed it does so immediately without the timeline. After that it becomes Inactive. The main issue with this is that it might get somewhat difficult to keep track of proposals, but someone could elect to compile that stuff now and then if they wanted. Mafia style vote progress posts, you know? We could even reward them in game for doing so.

Anyway suffice to say that those aren't the only issues, but I can't really describe any other major things of the top of my head.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:19:55 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »

Definitely interesting. Making a mechanically complex game like this does come with a few worries though. The first one I want to bring up is balance, it'll be a bit of a challenge fine-tuning the numbers to make the game perfectly balanced. Last thing you want is for either of the factions to be overpowered. Unstable Equilibrium is also something you need to worry about.

Another problem you need to worry about is something that's part of the nature of forum games in general. Mechanics focused games don't usually last that long here. There are a few exceptions (mafia being one of them), but most of the time they fail. Sadly though, I'm not an expert so I don't know exactly why this happens. Maybe one of the more experienced GMs can add something?

The mechanics focus is probably what would keep it from happening, since I would very much like something similar to Vanigo's Empire Game script to keep track of everything, but I don't actually know how to code.

The Unstable Equilibrium, I'm less certain about either way. Part of my hope was that as one team got pushed back/closer to being defeated, they would cooperate more, while their opponents began to turn on each other. There's only one winner, really, after all. Of course, biggest problem I can see is that someone with more glory/better units than you can still ambush you to take even more. Which might mean that you take a hit to prestige if you have a unit with more upgrades/glory attack a friendly unit with fewer/less, and the unit itself might take some sort of morale damage (a decorated dwarven battalion will obey the order to kill their fellows, but they're not going to feel good about it, and a veteran goblin tribe will see it as beneath them; let someone else bully the runts. They have beards to collect.).

I also think that upgrades would get more expensive in terms of glory the more upgraded they are, or maybe new units earn more from winning a given encounter (recruits holding back a horde is more impressive than the King's Guard doing so, because it's less likely), though they're still more likely to fail in the first place. Routed units get restored automatically to some degree, destroyed units easy to replace (though with fresh meat, of course), doing poorly means the people come together to support you so you get more stuff? Another possibility is that Glory can only be used to do either upgrades or Prestige, but that seems more likely to make the problem worse.

Balance might be hard to get right, but I think if I did it I'd try to do a test-run or something for the first attempt to check on that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:54 am »

Someone should make a game in setting of The Undamned. It's basically about souls of dead humans conquering the literal Hell from demons. Because when large portion of humans through all times enter into Hell, eventually few start slipping past cracks and get some non-torture time for themselves. Couple that with basically all free-minded individuals, scientists, other great minds and murderers you'll soon have rebellion in Hell. And once soul enters Hell, it can't leave or die in any permanent manner. Because eternal damnation is damn eternal.

It gives excellent opportunity to have mix of people from all ages. While one might not get to play the father of murder or other famous people, there's still very large pool of possibilities. The game probably involves about killing lots of demons, angels, crusaders and other Faithful from Heaven, but that's probably fine.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 03, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »

So I've got an idea for a strategy game. It's focused on underground tunnels, and fighting between Dwarves and Goblins. Maybe Kobolds, too.

Out of curiosity, would your maps look something like this?
Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.X....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX...X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX.....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX...XXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX.....XXXXXXXXXX.XX.XXXXXXXXXX.XXXXX..XXX
XXXXXX.........XXXXXXXX........................XXX
XXXXX..X.XXXX...........X......XXXXXXXXXX......XXX
XXXX....XXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX...XXXXXXXXXXX....XXXX
XXXX..XXXXXXX...XXXX....XXX....XXXXXXXXXXXX...XXXX
XXX..XXXXXXXX...XXXX...XXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX......XXXX
XX..XXXXXXXXX...XXXX...XXXXX.....XXXXX........XXXX
...XXXXXXXXX...XXXXXX..XXXXX.........X............
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXX..XXXXXXX....XX...XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXX..XXXXXX..........XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXXXX...XXXXX..XXX....XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX...XXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXX......XXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX.XXX..XXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX.....XXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX..XXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X....XXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX......XXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX......XXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX..........XXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX.XX...X...XXXX...X.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX.....XX........X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX.....XXX..XXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX.....XXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX..........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ah... ta ta ta. A late mod that few will see, but great improvements in cavern generation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GDFSS Works well for teams that know where they're going, but I still need to implement A* for teams designated to 'explore'.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:20:43 am by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 04, 2016, 10:43:40 pm »

Someone should make a game in setting of The Undamned. It's basically about souls of dead humans conquering the literal Hell from demons. Because when large portion of humans through all times enter into Hell, eventually few start slipping past cracks and get some non-torture time for themselves. Couple that with basically all free-minded individuals, scientists, other great minds and murderers you'll soon have rebellion in Hell. And once soul enters Hell, it can't leave or die in any permanent manner. Because eternal damnation is damn eternal.

It gives excellent opportunity to have mix of people from all ages. While one might not get to play the father of murder or other famous people, there's still very large pool of possibilities. The game probably involves about killing lots of demons, angels, crusaders and other Faithful from Heaven, but that's probably fine.
I'd join that.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:42 am »

should be fun to read at least would play if i had the time

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 13, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »

That could definitely be pretty..... wicked  8)
Nom nom nom

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: September 04, 2016, 01:39:02 am »

Would there necessarily be any interest for a sort of... time-skip thing, for lack of any better description?

The general idea would be that the players are entities who were around for (and possibly had a hand in) the world's creation, and that they sort of became permanent fixtures in the new world as it grew. Not as immortals, exactly- instead of eternal life, they get a cycle where their dead bodies come back to life every hundred years or so.

A single cycle would be people waking up in their coffin/resting place/etc, using their unique brand of magic to influence stuff in that time, and finally dying due to a lethal world or using up all their power. Then I'd figure out what happens to the world in the next century, and the process repeats itself until plot happens and there's a fitting conclusion.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: September 04, 2016, 04:35:31 am »

I like that idea, it sounds interesting. I think it would be a good idea to focus heavily on world-building for a premise like that though. Since the game seems to be more centred around helping the world rather than helping ourselves, it needs to be something we can get emotionally invested in.

That's my two cents at least.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: September 04, 2016, 01:12:40 pm »

I like that idea, it sounds interesting. I think it would be a good idea to focus heavily on world-building for a premise like that though. Since the game seems to be more centred around helping the world rather than helping ourselves, it needs to be something we can get emotionally invested in.

That's my two cents at least.

Yeah, this is definitely something where I would put a lot of effort into the making of the world. Not that carrying stuff between cycles is impossible, but the idea is to focus on the development of the setting as well as that of the characters, which would be pretty dull if it wasn't something people could connect with.

Anyway, glad you find it intriguing.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: September 07, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »

I had an idea of running something of a hybrid between a Nomic-style game and an incremental game (i.e. Cookie Clicker, Sandcastle Builder, all that kind of fun stuff) : every hour, some events dictated by the rules automatically happen. The players may also manually interact in-thread in ways allowed by the game's mechanics.
Every 1 or 2 days, a random stat is chosen, and the player with the "best" score in that stat (generally the highest one, unless it's a "bad" stat) gets their stats reset back to their initial state, but they also get to add a new mechanic to the rule.
There would also probably be a small set of game mechanics from the start that would probably be suggested / voted for by the players.

Any thoughts?
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: September 07, 2016, 02:00:58 pm »

You'd need 6+ GMs to make hourly updates possible, and there'd still be nobody around, sometimes.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: September 07, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »

Of course I wouldn't do all the updates as they come - I'd do a bunch of updates at a time whenever I can, but if a player already knows they have enough in a stat to do an action, which is generally the case, then they don't have to wait for the update to input their action.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 237