Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 387999 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2775 on: September 28, 2016, 06:22:07 pm »

Real life has to come first. Apology accepted. Now then...

Since I didn't end up making it, we can get back to work, if you like.

I even have a thread I made specifically for testing game systems.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 28, 2016, 07:03:33 pm »

Alas, I don't think so. I've been out of touch for so long that, while I think I'm still good for checking mechanics, I don't really think I'm up to co-GMing a project anymore. Not when I'm still trying to get my sea-legs back, as it were.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 28, 2016, 09:21:12 pm »

Spoiler: Small Mercies (click to show/hide)

Well, let me just say that this here was beautifully written. Draignean, I don't know how you do it but you have a gift! How good were you at writing essays?

Also, I'd be interested joining this.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 28, 2016, 10:04:31 pm »

Well, let me just say that this here was beautifully written. Draignean, I don't know how you do it but you have a gift! How good were you at writing essays?

Also, I'd be interested joining this.

I was bloody amazing. I was also a terrible student, so I typically waited until the last minute to actually start writing, but I was very good.

As to the game, I'll extend the background until I'm happy with it, decide exactly how rules lite I'm going to go, and work out a beginning.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:38 am »

So, I'm a little bit dusty, and I feel like I've become a bit of an unreliable GM due to my ever increasing number of unfinished projects.
I have had one project and it died because I am an anxious wreck ._.
But I am deeply inspired by the kind folk of this community and their writing prowess. Nice to see you again Draig :3

I'm also seriously interested in joining. There's the familiarity with your writing there that has the ease of reading and imagination. c:

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 29, 2016, 03:54:09 am »

I'd be interested in joining, if only to take part in a space journey epic enough to be told for generations after :P

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:14 am »

Good to see you back, Draignean. Interested; how mechanics-lite are we talking here? Can you give some examples?

Oh, and:

I got my degree, before I got engaged

Congrats!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:22 am »

Good to see you back, Draignean. Interested; how mechanics-lite are we talking here? Can you give some examples?

Oh, and:

I got my degree, before I got engaged

Congrats!

Thanks DH, and I'm honestly not sure at this point. I know I'm not writing up and balancing details stats on every gun/armor/utility item in existence. I'm probably going to eschew HP/MP/AP/FP in favor favor of descriptive statistics (wounds/fatigue, etc).  Ideally, the only thing that a character has to determine how things are going to go is their character, their tools, and the choices they've made. A die roll of course comes in to determine how well or badly things go.

I'd like to have characters that, with a bit of play, I know well enough that a stat-block is unnecessary to tell me what they can and can not do. For example, this is one character from the example crew,

Spoiler: Ceradi (click to show/hide)

From this, I have a feel for the character, and the stories they fit into. I don't expect this character to do particularly well in a gun fight, but, in the water, I can easily see them crushing another foe when needed, though without much martial finesse. I can see them working well as a liaison in gutter markets and shady dealerships, but he'd probably need a lot more restraint and luck to go through a high-society auction without mortally offending three trade barons.

Even within the context of being a navigator, his self-taught nature means that he's less familiar with standard maneuvers and tactics, but highly adaptable.

In die form, he'd succeed at normal navigator duties on any roll, numbers just determining how well. He'd probably have a good 85% chance to get a fair deal in his markets, with a 5% chance to botch and 10% chance to come out strongly ahead,  while in a high auction there's an 85% chance for him to botch and 15% chance for things to go sort of alright-maybe-with-issues.

That what you were looking for?
---

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 29, 2016, 10:56:38 am »

I get the point, and it's a perfectly fine way of running things. I hope you do make this - already got a character idea vaguely coming together.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:50 pm »

It'll be good to have you on board. I've already hit the 40K character limit while I'm still testing the OP in PMs to myself (I've probably sent myself more messages than everyone else combined) so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic at the moment.

I'm going to need to successfully reserve the post (or two) after mine. I'm not sure I've ever done that successfully...
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:24 pm »

So, I'm a little bit dusty, and I feel like I've become a bit of an unreliable GM due to my ever increasing number of unfinished projects. Still, now that I have my degree and my life has cooled down a bit, I find myself feeling the same old itch to run a game. Maybe I can make it work, maybe I can't, but before I really began grinding my gears on it I wanted to see if there was any interested in a small group based, mechanics lite, Fairly soft Sci-Fi, Space Opera RPG?

Seems like a nice enough idea. I remember the concept, too. I do like the alien-heavy thing about it.

Thanks DH, and I'm honestly not sure at this point. I know I'm not writing up and balancing details stats on every gun/armor/utility item in existence. I'm probably going to eschew HP/MP/AP/FP in favor favor of descriptive statistics (wounds/fatigue, etc).  Ideally, the only thing that a character has to determine how things are going to go is their character, their tools, and the choices they've made. A die roll of course comes in to determine how well or badly things go.

I'd like to have characters that, with a bit of play, I know well enough that a stat-block is unnecessary to tell me what they can and can not do. For example, this is one character from the example crew,

I tried to do descriptive statistics in Life Begins At Death, it did not work. At all. I'd advise doing something simplified, but exact. Loose and ill-specified stuff just leads into mechanical grasping.

It'll be good to have you on board. I've already hit the 40K character limit while I'm still testing the OP in PMs to myself (I've probably sent myself more messages than everyone else combined) so I'm feeling pretty nostalgic at the moment.

I'm going to need to successfully reserve the post (or two) after mine. I'm not sure I've ever done that successfully...

Oh dear, a 40k character OP for a rules-lite space opera? Might want to cut that down. Like, a lot.

I have had one project and it died because I am an anxious wreck ._.

Run a minimalist game! It can be really fun, and you can let loose your most elegant writing that way.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:17:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 29, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »

@Draignean:GIB CHARSHEET PLOXX

I am very interested in that game.

Oh.  Uhh.

Hm.  I suck at actually writing backstory.  That notable quotes thing sounds like something I could get behind though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:53:24 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 29, 2016, 02:04:15 pm »

So, I'm a little bit dusty, and I feel like I've become a bit of an unreliable GM due to my ever increasing number of unfinished projects. Still, now that I have my degree and my life has cooled down a bit, I find myself feeling the same old itch to run a game. Maybe I can make it work, maybe I can't, but before I really began grinding my gears on it I wanted to see if there was any interested in a small group based, mechanics lite, Fairly soft Sci-Fi, Space Opera RPG?

Seems like a nice enough idea. I remember the concept, too. I do like the alien-heavy thing about it.

I think we're remembering different things, since this one isn't alien heavy. I mean, there are five races, and none of them are aliens. People would be vastly surprised by the appearance of sapient aliens. Or they'd think it was a hoax. Or that they were bio-engineered colonists that someone lost a couple centuries ago.

I tried to do descriptive statistics in Life Begins At Death, it did not work. At all. I'd advise doing something simplified, but exact. Loose and ill-specified stuff just leads into mechanical grasping.

I'll look into it, the problem is in simplification w/o loss of precision. If I do use stats, then how many? How to differentiate different types of skill? The question always leads me down a dark path of numbers and the endless unfolding of new complexities.

Oh dear, a 40k character OP for a rules-lite space opera? Might want to cut that down. Like, a lot.

4k for the intro, 22K For the Races, 19K (ish) in background for the 'verse, 7k for describing the small part of the augmentations relevant to character creation, 17k for the example crew...

I should probably stop writing soon, shouldn't I?

EDIT:

@Draignean:GIB CHARSHEET PLOXX

I am very interested in that game.

Oh.  Uhh.

Hm.  I suck at actually writing backstory.  That notable quotes thing sounds like something I could get behind though.

SOONtm

Also, that's what the traits at the bottom can be used for. If you're having a bit of trouble writing up a backstory, just give me something serviceable, then fill in the traits, and show me the rest.

---

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 29, 2016, 02:05:04 pm »

MOAR WORDS

Iunno.  It depends.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 29, 2016, 02:46:22 pm »

I'll look into it, the problem is in simplification w/o loss of precision. If I do use stats, then how many? How to differentiate different types of skill? The question always leads me down a dark path of numbers and the endless unfolding of new complexities.

When I started doing Our Salvation, I chose to do wounds like Sunless Sea did, where you only get one no matter how badly you get hit (barring special events like "being beaten into a near-unrecognizable pulp" putting you at 4), and set the max before death to 5.

You could go further and put down vague stats like Sunless Sea's as well, like Hearts (healing, bravery), Veils (sneakiness, intrigue), Pages (esoteric), Mirrors (perception, intellect), Iron (strength, toughness), and add their values as success chance to predetermined difficulties (percentile, can go into negatives). I went for a simpler system in my current game, where each character states a specialty that they get a +1 to rolls with - wouldn't recommend, however, since it hasn't really paid off in any particular way in about 1600 posts of game. You can also go with the classic kill-sneak-brain trio of stats, or expand it to kill-sneak-brain-face quartet if you think being hot is going to be helpful in this game. Or, like Apocalypse World, throw in another one for Cool - Hard - Hot - Sharp - Weird, wherein we come back to something like Sunless Sea - 5 vague stats covering 5 vague archetypal behaviors.

It's always better to have stats than to not have them, since stats are how the player mechanically communicates their character to the GM, and roll results are how the GM mechanically communicates back.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:49:09 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 237