Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: NetHack  (Read 9051 times)

popers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:26 am »

Used to play nethack, but it did not mesmerize me as much as ADOM does. Brilliant sense of humour, nice graphic tileset, but lacks certain qualities that ADOM has (like a more intuitive inventory system).

It's definitely worth giving it a try.
It's not like I haven't tried, but building a mech out of bridges may be a tad above my engineering skill.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 06:41:01 am »

I dislike bumping things over a month old
It still doesn't belong in various nonsense, maybe before, but these days it's the other games forum.
Nonsense is for nonsense now, apparantly.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:48 am »

I dislike bumping things over a month old
It still doesn't belong in various nonsense, maybe before, but these days it's the other games forum.
Nonsense is for nonsense now, apparantly.

This is an other game.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:11 pm »

And so it belongs in the other games forum.

You know,right above various nonsense?

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 12:14:11 pm »

Wow. I had no Idea that even existed.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01:24 pm »

Well, NetHack is almost lighthearted enough to fit in here, so whatever.

How do you guys usually do the early game? I look for the Gnomish Mines, run in, go down a few levels, and get killed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:04 pm »

I do the same thing, but I protect my pet, and I'm more careful in the mines.  If you sprint for Minetown you can get a quick artifact from the altar, and it'll really make the first bit easier.  If you're really lucky, you can get a unicorn horn in the lower parts. 

I'm not a fan of Nethack though.  How people found out the things they found out about it is beyond me.  The Oracle can provide for a bit, but only a bit.
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:07 pm »

They Source Dive.

Anyway, I don't know how to tell what alignment an altar is, so I never get artifacts from them.  :P

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:48 pm »

Just use semicolon to see what anything is. You can convert altars by sacrificing to them, but I wouldn't recommend it. It can change your alignment or make you god ANGRY.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:54 pm »

I managed to change an altar's alignment once with a wizard that later ascended (stockpiles of spellbooks placed strategically and copious use of the wizard artifact is a great help).

Anyway, a damn named demon shows up once the altar changed alignment.   Oh, crap... Nope.  It was friendly, seeing as I was chaotic, turning the altar to chaotic.

Of course, he did try to kill me on the way out if I recall right.

If it wasn't for NetHack, I'd probably have not got myself mired in DF.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 11:42:43 pm »

I would have to say that I highly recommend converting altars, assuming that your level is >4 and your alignment isn't negative.  It's pretty easy, and the rewards are great.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 02:48:23 pm »

I used to play some NetHack years ago. Never got far though. Maybe (character) level 11 or something. I've played a LOT of a certain Angband variant though but that isn't what we're talking about here and that's pretty different anyhow. So nevermind, please ignore the previous sentence. ::)
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:21 pm »

ZAngband? FAngband? GAngband? LAngband? Mangband? NPPAngband?

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 06:16:23 am »

ToME. Which is actually a ZAngband variant if I remember correctly, but anyway.
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:03 am »

I used to play ToME a lot.  The farthest I ever got was like mid-20s in level.  I was almost to the Old Forest's boss, but there were ghost wolves or something like that coming from everywhere, and I was in the water, and I died D:
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6