Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 67009 times)

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »

So. I just saw a champion hammerdwarf send a goblin flying. Into another goblin. Stunning it. With the corpse of it's friend.
When I find who did that, his quarters will be engraved.

I had the same thing happen in reverse.  A legendary macegoblin was leading a siege against me, and had gotten ahead of his troops.  Two of my war dogs saw him first and charged forward. 

He killed the first dog with one blow, sending its corpse flying 7-8 squares, where it stunned and knocked over the second dog.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 04:45:20 pm »

Hah... yeah, dogs make good cannonfodder for those types of things.

Dog-a-pults (bridges) aren't very effective against sieges, though. I suppose if I funnel all the gobbos into the landing zone, it'd work better...

*runs off to experiment*

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

Blanketing a large field with Goblinpults is much more effective, and still quite funny.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma forges, moods and obsidain farms.
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 02:22:04 am »

I had just learned how to make obsidian farms, and built a massive farm that emptied the magma pipe to make obsidian blocks for a wall and a mega tower. Anyways, the pipe had partially filed up to the level of my forges, but the magma was alternating 3/7 and 4/7. 4/7 is the minimum lava needed for a magma forge to function. and it so happens, my armor smith got into a fey mood and claimed a magma forge. He gathered all the materials and began his construction, until the lava alternated to a 3/7 level, shutting the forge off. He got melancholy and jumped to his death in the magma. 
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 05:43:25 am »

Cool moment:
A human caravan came one time with a rather ordinary looking swordsman in it's company.

The area I was in had a GCS right in the open. It had it's webs all along the cliffside of the mountain in the northeast. The place also had a chasm nearby, to give you a sense of the rocky geography.

The caravan came in just fine from the southeast - my little road was covered by what I call "police towers", small marksdorf platforms accessed only from below meant for picking off melee critters that might harass the merchants, which on this map was a serious issue.

Trade went well blah blah, but when they left, they left northeast.

I think I blinked and missed the flying limbs of the merchants when they met Hamlet (my pet name for the GCS), but somehow, some way, the regular swordsman managed to hack off 7 of it's legs, blind it, and generally slice it up before he finally died.

I didn't even see him do it. I don't know how he managed it. But by Armok, Hamlet, the Horror of Hammerhames was vanquished. (it took one more bolt to the skull from my opportunism.)

I built a tomb/monument for the humanling. Couldn't engrave it in the tomb, but eventually my engravers made a portrait of him fighting the spider. I think it was along the main under-highway.

-----

One in a million moment:
One time, my dwarves actually did their jobs quietly without anyone going insane for an ENTIRE SEASON.

I was stunned.
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

One in a million moment:
One time, my dwarves actually did their jobs quietly without anyone going insane for an ENTIRE SEASON.

I was stunned.
Oh, yeah! I know! My just did that! I was like, WTF, Mate?

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:29 pm »

My hammer dwarf (peasent who was a proficent hammer dwarf mind this, novice shield user, novice armor user), killed a skeletal giant eagle. alone.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 02:03:40 pm »

My mayor/captain of the guard was imprisoned for beating up a mule during a tantrum.  He was sentence to three weeks.
In the first week he snapped the chain holding him, and was promptly sentence to another two weeks.  He died of thirst three days before his sentence expired - meaning if he hadn't snapped the chain he would've survived.
Eventually the dwarves elected a new mayor, a wounded hunter.  Not five seconds later he goes insane.
It was awesome.

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 02:52:47 pm »

I get as tired of my dwarfs' pets as anybody else, and in my most recent fort, I built a simple device for getting rid of them. It's pretty simple and involves an upright spike and a lever. Of course my favorite part is that it forces the pets' owners to murder their own pets. It works fine for a while and I get ready to eliminate my last pet. The owner, a stonecrafter, gets to the lever but only pulls it once before getting bored or going off to eat or something. The spike extends just as he is walking over it and impales him through the lower body, breaking his spine.

I think this is pretty funny by itself, but after several years of lying comatose in a hospital bed, the stonecrafter is inspired to create an artifact. He wakes up and manages to drag himself around using his arms, carrying, among other things, extremely heavy raw gold nuggets to his shop and eventually finishes his artifact. He is now legendary, and comatose again. Due to having spent nearly his entire time at my fortress in a coma, his one and only relationship (he doesn't even have any passing aquaintances) is his pet donkey, which still hangs around the hospital all the time pining for its master, who paralyzed himself while trying to kill it.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

I was training my new woodcutter because the old one cut a tree too close to the magma vent and got toasted by a fimp, or to be more precice the firestorm resulting from the imp chasing him a bit before returning. Then the new guy, only at master or high master at that time, was ambushed by a bow gob and 4 axe helpers. The bowman was cut in half before he could do anything and his lower body landed on a tree and the others died fairly quickly too. By a civilian who wasn't legendary yet who only suffered grey and brown injuries.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:43 pm »

I get as tired of my dwarfs' pets as anybody else, and in my most recent fort, I built a simple device for getting rid of them. It's pretty simple and involves an upright spike and a lever. Of course my favorite part is that it forces the pets' owners to murder their own pets. It works fine for a while and I get ready to eliminate my last pet. The owner, a stonecrafter, gets to the lever but only pulls it once before getting bored or going off to eat or something. The spike extends just as he is walking over it and impales him through the lower body, breaking his spine.

I think this is pretty funny by itself, but after several years of lying comatose in a hospital bed, the stonecrafter is inspired to create an artifact. He wakes up and manages to drag himself around using his arms, carrying, among other things, extremely heavy raw gold nuggets to his shop and eventually finishes his artifact. He is now legendary, and comatose again. Due to having spent nearly his entire time at my fortress in a coma, his one and only relationship (he doesn't even have any passing aquaintances) is his pet donkey, which still hangs around the hospital all the time pining for its master, who paralyzed himself while trying to kill it.
That right there is some Epic RP.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 07:58:51 pm »

This is awesome.
Pray tell what artifact did he create?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 08:19:25 pm »

This is awesome.
Pray tell what artifact did he create?

He created Betanuvel, "The Calm Bear", a native gold scepter, valued at 196,800☼

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 09:13:56 pm »

My legendary miner just leveled up in her swimming skill by falling into the river repeatedly while cutting ramps into the riverbanks.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 09:53:15 am »

I got a message that a baby had died from collision. I didn't find the body ANYWHERE. But after a while I got another similar message. Now I found the body and figured out what happened.

In the skyscraper that I built, the first baby had suicided by jumping off the roof. Around 15 stories high, too. The reason? His parents got killed in a goblin ambush earlier, and he was miserable. Second one had also a similar reason.

And the bodies were on the prison building's roof, next to the skyscraper. That's why I didn't find them earlier. I checked it accidentally, and saw a pile of dwarf bones plus a rotting baby body next to them. Quickly built stairs to the prison's roof, and the rest of the dwarves took the babies, or what was left of them, to their graves.

Pic of the fall:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And another, two stories which happened at the same spot, second happened because I forgot about the first. These happened in my other aboveground fort, not the one pictured above:

1. I learned not to build floor tiles at the end of drawbridges. Especially when they're 16 Z-levels high on the top of a skyscraper. The floor collapsed immediately when it was built, causing it to crash straight through the roof of my prison, and the ensulting blast of dust and debris knocked three dwarves and a cat unconscious. The engraver who built the floor smashed a few seconds after onto the prison roof and exploded. And then his kid who was with him fell too, but SURVIVED somehow. He died a few seconds later on his bed due to the massive injuries sustained.

2: I built a floor at the same spot again because I wasn't thinking. This time the piece of floor fell NEXT to my prison, smashed through two god damn levels of earth and finally exploded in my largest food stockpile at Z-level -2 (0 being ground level), knocking half of my fort (they were all eating/drinking there) unconscious. Oh, and the guy who made the floor also fell down, but missed the gaping hole the floor made and smashed next to it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:02:02 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20