Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1192525 times)

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 232 The sleepers have awakened
« Reply #7035 on: March 21, 2017, 01:02:47 pm »

((Another sleeper hath awakened!))

Play essence roulette, because what better way is there to jump back in after a hiatus?

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:09 pm »

Form 2 essences and head north once more.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 231 The fun is just around the corner
« Reply #7037 on: March 21, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »

Help with the disaster-averting however I can.  In fact, let's see if we can just...clean up the portal, or set a contingency spell that cleans up magma/lava around that tree...As in, I want to know if it's feasible, and then if it's feasible we can go from there.

Does the cleaning spell send the detritus somewhere in particular?

Set up a standing action that if I don't do anything else, I'll make three essences.

{Oh. I figured those were for people making the group spell at the moment, since answers to all of those depend on what magic you decide to use. Basically, the answer is "Do you want it to? Then yes."}
((The cleaning cantrip you mentioned.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 231 The fun is just around the corner
« Reply #7038 on: March 21, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »

Help with the disaster-averting however I can.  In fact, let's see if we can just...clean up the portal, or set a contingency spell that cleans up magma/lava around that tree...As in, I want to know if it's feasible, and then if it's feasible we can go from there.

Does the cleaning spell send the detritus somewhere in particular?

Set up a standing action that if I don't do anything else, I'll make three essences.

{Oh. I figured those were for people making the group spell at the moment, since answers to all of those depend on what magic you decide to use. Basically, the answer is "Do you want it to? Then yes."}
((The cleaning cantrip you mentioned.))
{No, the detritus just goes "away"}
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: March 21, 2017, 06:55:28 pm »

go get my shovel, continue pushing the mud into the hole, searching for the other circle things as i do this
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »

((All right, here goes. This is the full plan for stopping the volcano.

Viznor-speak will not be included in this post, because as nice as it is to not be a tad meta, it'd just end up giving everyone a headache.))

Time to coordinate the massive disaster-averting spell. Hoping to make a permanent solution here.

The affinities we have:

Aether (2X)
Summoning (2X)
Healing
Physicality
Blades
Luck
Glass (from item)

Use my yes/no book to check for subterfuge, as per usual. If anyone is hijacking or otherwise messing with it, disallow them from contributing and direct more power to parts of the spell that don't use their affinity to compensate.

With that in mind...

Let's weave a sort of magical shell around the portal-tree, essentially a construct designed to contain everything inside (and prevent outside interference). It should have...

Containment stuff:

-A physicality/binding system which keeps all material which exits the portal from leaving its immediate vicinity. This includes fire, gas, ash, etc. Physicality will alter the properties of the stuff such that it condenses itself and becomes exceedingly heavy. Viscous, too, if not outright solid. Binding is used to augment this and to prevent it from moving altogether.

-An aether system which prevents buildup via some sustainable means. Fold it into the aether if that's safe and secure, or just toss it into a useless world nobody cares about. Include a summoning outgrowth which actually extends into the portal and calls heat and excess material back from whence it came.

-A healing and binding system which aims to slowly repair the big hole in reality. Not the whole thing at once, just try and make something which will slowly wear it down at the edges.

Security stuff:

-A luck system which decreases the likelihood of system failure and/or other calamities from the plane of fire in the future.

-Use aether, physicality, summoning, healing and binding affinities to make a physical anti-tampering shell (which should also act as a last line of defense if the magma is too much for the containment systems to handle). Let's go with summoned adamantine, melded together and made as durable as possible by physicality. Aether affinity is used to counteract magical interference or attacks, and healing will ideally make it repair itself if by some miracle there is a breach.

-A knowledge system which coordinates the various other systems, plus sends out alerts on the council video channel if something goes wacky.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:34:22 pm by Whisperling »

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:02 pm »

Join the tower congregation and contribute to the spell! 5 +1 pot and 5 +1 cmp essences!
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: March 22, 2017, 03:52:08 am »

"Limui power... Have it tried to stave me off the path of calm self-reflection and improvement? Was I too lax in my mental defenses after seeing the wonders of the Tower and forsaking carefulness?"

Ao shook his head a bit, disappointed in himself:

"Soul shards are a trap devised by nature, for greedy and ambitious to be lured into. Even my previous training was not enough to prevent distractions from a true path."

It was decided then. He would not go for the shards and Lumui power that required them. Instead...
Next moment, there was a slight tremble in the air and then voices of other mages came, all at once, as if some kind of veil obscuring their messages had been ruptured. "Disaster", "Volcano", "Prevention", "Tower", "Ritual"... It took a while for voices to subdue and for Ao to proceed them.

"A pity my affinity is ill-suited for working alongside others..."

Then, his gaze fell upon the sword.

"Might it be the Tower itself offering help in this endeavor? If so, I will gladly take it."

Take sword and walk outside, where I may be of some help to other mages. If things go disastrously - use ethereality and appropriately empower myself using 5 essences (+1/+1).

((EDIT: forgot about +5/+5 limit on a spell.))
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:06:36 pm by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:40 am »

participate in the ritual combined spell
5 +1/+1 essences
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:12:22 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:18 am »

Flicker through the active mages on the orb, checking for anyone that might be directly responsible for the calamity.
Participate in the spell, increasing the chance of ritual success and decreasing the chance of the tower or inhabitants thereof being harmed. 5 +1/+1 essences.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:43:51 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: March 23, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »

((guys, this isn't a ritual; we don't have time for one of those. It's a big, combined, powerful, one-turn spell.))
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: March 23, 2017, 09:17:01 pm »

So I started making the turn and ran into some trouble. Namely, Viznor/Whisperling plotting their action with more affinities/resources than actually have been committed by people in their actions. Since this is rather serious, I'm giving this 12 hours to resolve itself, and then I'll work together a turn from what I can see posted.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: March 23, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »

Come on, everyone! This is your chance to really flex your magic-muscles and do something super impressive! Like this tower here! Give it your all!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »

((Looks like we're just missing NAV/James.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: March 24, 2017, 08:05:22 am »

Consent to the spell.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 506