Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1415188 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2460 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »

Moore's law is basically dead at this point due to the whole "physics" thing. Memory size increases don't have much to do with it anyway, that's all determined by breakthroughs in technology, which are happening pretty regularly.

(Moore's law is specifically about transistors per square inch on integrated circuits, so breakthroughs in technology definitely aren't counted there)
intel disagrees.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/01/05/ces-2017-moores-law-not-dead-says-intel-boss/

So does the company that presented in one of my junior level comp sci courses at my university last semester.
Lots of cool stuff happening now.
Though maybe it doesn't exactly fit definition now, they are just shoving in additional processors now. If you discount the breakthroughs that are happening.

also:
https://semiengineering.com/moores-law-a-status-report/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:41:17 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 15, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »

I don't meant to be rude, but can we put the Moore's law discussion to rest? Seems to me that we're getting a bit off-topic.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:26 pm »

Let us discuss Urist's law instead. The number of dead elves in a dense fortress doubles approximately every two years.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: September 15, 2017, 09:15:01 pm »

I'm for moving it to another subforum. The off-topic one.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2464 on: September 16, 2017, 03:35:48 am »

Will the raws of procedurally generated creatures - titans, angels, forgotten beasts, etc. - eventually interact more with the other creature raws?

I noticed demons occasionally are made out of modded materials - would it be possible then to have procedurally generated creatures that derive from other files? I.e sometimes instead of an FB thats a "cat with three eyes and a tail" you'd have a giant gorlak made out of iron with horns, or a gargantuan dwarf with chitin instead of skin, eye stalks and antennae.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 16, 2017, 08:23:09 am »

Will the raws of procedurally generated creatures - titans, angels, forgotten beasts, etc. - eventually interact more with the other creature raws?

I noticed demons occasionally are made out of modded materials - would it be possible then to have procedurally generated creatures that derive from other files? I.e sometimes instead of an FB thats a "cat with three eyes and a tail" you'd have a giant gorlak made out of iron with horns, or a gargantuan dwarf with chitin instead of skin, eye stalks and antennae.

Or a deadly-dust spewing hydra made of steel.

Enjoying your nightmares?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: September 16, 2017, 08:40:41 am »

Cave-in traps kill anything but ghosts, but good luck aiming one of those correctly.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2467 on: September 16, 2017, 09:48:38 am »

That's not a nightmare, thats a dream. An unholy badass monstrosity of a dream but still a dream.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 16, 2017, 11:18:29 pm »

In your talk today, you started to talk about the major difficulties that you have to overcome and concluded that skipping another 1000 years after playing for a bit (returning to worldgen) is 'pretty hard'. I certainly think you're right in that lots of people want to see this someday, but is it something you think you're going to attempt one day or by 'hard' do you mean you just can't conceive of how you might even attempt such a thing?

Great talk, loads of cool mythgen (and beyond) stuff. AI panel afterwards is interesting too.
https://youtu.be/L67Xb4tgVv8
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:32:30 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:10 am »

Thanks for the link, Shonai_Dweller.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 17, 2017, 08:13:29 am »

Thanks for the link, Shonai_Dweller.
No problem. I'm sure it'll be posted in the devblog when Toady gets back. Just wanted to put this question up since he brought up the subject and it gets requested quite often.
Just wasn't sure if he was saying 'this stuff's all difficult but we're gonna solve it all' or 'this stuff's difficult but doable because it's all linked in logical order, but whatever you do, don't try going backwards, that just doesn't work'.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: September 17, 2017, 01:13:21 pm »

My understanding is that Toady said it's tricky and they haven't figured out how to solve it. In my opinion it is a problem that's possible to solve, but whether it's worth the effort of doing it is another matter that probably requires side project investigations to determine.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 17, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »

Will we ever be able to name our adventuring parties, at least once they acquire enough members? Fellowship of Urist's Glorious Cheeses FTW!

TBH not sure whether this belongs here or in the suggestions thread.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:19:35 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 17, 2017, 06:42:28 pm »

1. I noticed that in the screenshots of the myth generator information pertaining to individuals of a particular race's fates, such as if they have free will, their fates are predetermined or if some other entity controls their fates. How will this translate into game play? For example if dwarves fates are predetermined to what extent is it predetermined? Are the destined to die a certain way or are their entire lives mapped out? Also how will this mesh with the player and their inevitable random actions in the event they play a member of that race in adventure mode?
2. In terms of who acquires magical abilities could factors other than blood line influence whether or not a creature has certain magical powers in some worlds? For example if they were born under a full moon or on magical land.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: September 18, 2017, 02:10:16 am »

@Beag:
2: There are many ways in which fantasy bestows magic abilities, and DF seems to strive to provide as many ways as reasonable. Living under a certain sphere influence ("magic land") ought to be one way, bestowed by a deity/demon or magic feature (such as a magic rock) another. A full moon birth or other astrological circumstances could be another, provided some rationale for it can be provided by the myth generation. Hard work (a.k.a. "study" and "research") is definitely a possible route as well.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 211