Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: SteelyCathedrals - Glacier Succession Fort - Players Wanted!  (Read 7632 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
SteelyCathedrals - Glacier Succession Fort - Players Wanted!
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »

I've never written a fortress diary before, but I've also never embarked on the very edge of a world or in a location without any trade from the Dwarves. So here we go! ^v^

---)(---

It was a dark and stormy night. Maybe. The mountain homes are under a mountain, it gets hard to tell.

The lords and ladies of "The Morose Bolt" were discussing the matter of their next outpost, mainly where on the Accidental Axes it should border.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Send them to the south," Ceshfot argued, "The plentiful forests would help bolster early development!"

Tongusison argued "The south? That's ludicrous, no sane trader would venture that deeply into the lands of orcs and warlocks. Nay, send them west- into the heart of civilization where our people can dig deeply without fear."

Nomalsat stormed into the hall, obliviously half-dressed as always, "Elvenropthungwearers, the lotuvya!" He took another draft of the barrel he was dragging behind him. "Weshudesendim to- to- to the FaarEast!" He pulled out a stained handkerchief with a loose map of Myr drawn on it with what looked and smelled like vomit.

"The Far East?" Someone unimportant asked.

"Aye, aye! In the FarYeast there's, um, there's a treasure! Goldsinsilversinjewelsinsilksinthings!" He tried to take another draft from his barrel, but it was empty. He looked about ready to start crying right there if not for a kind gesture by Lanirkan, who indicated that he could choose from the hall's stocks. He greedily chose a porcelain pot of Royal Sunshine as Lanirkan posed a query.

"This treasure, it can be acquired, correct? We could deploy an expedition for the purposes of uprooting these valuables and have them added to our own treasury?"

"Ohbutivcourse, M'lord! Theycanjes diggitup and send it with the yearly caravan!"

"I like it. All in favor?"

---)(---
The "Lucky" Embarkees:

---)(---

1st Entry of SteelyCathedrals Mission Log:

This sucks, and I hate everything forever.

2nd Entry SC ML:

After we all finished cursing our lords, Armok, the lower gods, our luck and everything else, Iden and I worked out a basic plan for at least surviving this hellho- hmm... I guess we can't really call it a "hole" now can we? Not yet anyway.

3rd Entry SC ML

NOW it's a hellhole! HAhaha!

Also, beyond the obvious reasons for not going outside.

The neighbors dropped by to welcome us to our lovely new spring cottage.

Heh, I want to go home.

---)(---

Imgur's being dumb, so some of the images aren't available right now. I'll try again in a few minutes.

EDIT: Fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:36:45 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: On the Edge of the World: SteelyCathedrals
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:03 pm »

if you're dwarfing, i'd love a dwarf.  idc who
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:30 am »

continue

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:49 am »

Me thinks this belongs in community games.
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:33 am »

I think you should post this in the section "DF Community Games & Stories".
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:35:40 am »

I rather like the idea of having a Masterwork Fortress in the Masterwork Forum. :)

I'd like Iden Amostsheroz. Make him a priest/apostle of armok and a devout religious guy. I just like his "is a worshipper of POWERTEMPEST"

Btw, maybe you can use forumdwarves to show the dwarves. Its way, way easier then making screenshots. See the included dfhack readme for the hotkeys. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 03:22:06 am »

Umm, I'll take the Carpenter. Bonus fun points if I go mad from lack of wood for a mood.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 03:54:49 am »

Oh, really? Cool. I'll post my Masterwork DFTerm3 game in here too. (Once I figure out how to get these dang ports to forward. :P)

I'll take Rith, then. re-name him 'Deeves', would you kindly?

Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:15:48 pm »

It's not getting the screenshot that was a problem, I just use the Snipping Tool from accessories.

The problem was probably either my internet getting spotty or maybe an issue on Imgur's side.

Anyway, on to the fort!
---)(---

SCML 4:

Shortly after we all huddled into the sitting area, chaos erupted. I think it started with the mastiffs, though honestly we were all feeling a little crazy considering everything.

Unfortunately, after the ruckus our stoneworker was found to have "dented" his hand. We probably should have recruited one less woodworker and one more doctor, but hey wooden figurines! To hopefully keep such violent incidents from happening again the mastiffs have been penned in with the moleweasels to help guard our stocks.

I hope the caravan will let us hitch a ride back to the Mountainhomes when it shows.

SCML 5:

We've struck the treasure!

We've stuck a vein of silver embedded in obsidian!

We've struck a vein of galena embedded in andesite. Apparently, I am a terrible geologist. Still, we've got stone now; we won't be forced to use any more wood than we absolutely have to now. Iden says it's a gift from Armok so that we can more easily destroy the blizzardmen outside; okay then, that was nice of him.

Oh, and before I forget: everyone is starting to go crazy. Iden has started calling herself "Meph", our carpenter and stoneworker have taken on the mantles of "Apani" and "Captain Lambcake" respectively. Plus everyone swears up and down that I call myself "Deeves" on occasion. I don't remember doing so- and I'm sure they're not above messing with me- but it might be worth mentioning.

SCML 6:

We've got a basic setup on the stone layer, the plan is to tunnel further east in search of the treasure. After all, wouldn't the famous treasure of the Far East be as far to the east as possible? Iden or "Meph" seems determined to mine out the entirety of the galena vein, muttering something about a "most sacred location" or some such. I don't particularly care to be honest, as long as she remembers to dig out the workshops and stockpiles, she can hunt for all the ores in the world.

Now that we've got a moderate pile of rock to use, it's been decided that the best use of it is to cover our rather prominent tracks outside so the blizzardmen don't see us. I've ordered the construction of a hatch-cover for the staircase and several blocks to build a bridge over the yak pasture. It probably won't get done immediately, but with the Captain's dented hand, these things shouldn't be rushed.

SCML 7:

SteelyCathedrls is a prosperous land ripe for immigration apparently, this married couple decided to rough it all the way from wherever to strike it rich in our majestic hellhole. At first I thought they were the caravan, but since it was just the two of them without any pack animals that thought was quickly killed. Apani said it was also the wrong time of year too, though I'm not sure how the hell he knows that since the only seasons appear to be "snowing" and "blizzard".

That brings the total population up to nine.

They're quite the strange ones too, took an immediate liking to the beetles and asked around to see if we had any "blister juice" or "meat of an unidentified sort" laying around. Words cannot describe how much I hope those are euphemisms. (Gasp!) What if they're goblin spies? Goblins drink from blisters, right?

Suspicions aside; if SteelyCathedrals is going to be getting immigrants, then SteelyCathedrals should be able to accommodate for more than just the seven of us founders.It's not much, but it's a start.

Founders. Heh, I like that, we Founded the Fortress of SteelyCathedrals, how many dwarves can say something like that?

SCML 8:

With more hands at work hauling, our "misc" stockpile is now overflowing, so I've asked Meph to back off from her vein for a bit to help Zulban with carving a new stockpile from the sand layer above the workshops. She grumbled a bit at first, but then I guess she realized that she now had a captive audience to talk about Armok to. I think we'll have to start making some totems, soon.

Unfortunately, we're currently fighting a potential famine as well. The crops haven't grown in yet and we suddenly have two more mouths to feed than any of us were planning, the yak cow was able to help a bit thanks to my own trusty knowledge of milking and cheesecraft, but we'll need a bit more time until the 'shrooms mature. According to the husband of the new couple, a few of the plants outside might be edible, but he'd have to go up to know for sure. If he returns safely with food, I take back everything mean I said about him. In the meantime, Moldath and I have a plan to melt some snow from outside into a small, indoor fishpond to help make sure this doesn't happen again.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:21:46 pm by LMeire »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »

It appears that my tileset is not yet optimized for non-default settings like the stones and minerals that you added. The Andesite shouldnt look like boulders.

I assume you also play with "more plants", which would explain the unknown plant substance the one dwarf likes?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:41:44 pm »

Is there any tree or plant out there? Hard to tell in this season. ::)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »

@ Meph: I guess so, I have everything enabled but aquifers, weaker traps and the extra invasion races. I don't know much about modding DF, but I figured the unknown substances were something from the 3rd cavern or something.

@Apani: There are no trees and maybe a few dozen shrubs on the entire map.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »

Well, it's good to see you still had some wood stockpiled. Did I craft anything nice yet?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 04:11:41 pm »

I had some extra buckets made for milking. They are finely made.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:05 pm »

No beds yet? ::)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6