Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hallway of death  (Read 1417 times)

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The hallway of death
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:53:58 pm »

Hi guys, im currently trying to design my perfect hallway of death to take care of invaders and other minor harasments and i ran into a question.

At what range do invaders like gobblins scare my non militairy siege operators? So say im making a one tile walkway with traps all over and i want to place ballistas on the other side of the channel that is dug around the walkway, how many blocks should i make the channel to prevent my peasants from panicing but still be able to let loose the delicious ballista carnage?
The same question but now for my crossbow squads? or dont they panick since they are in my militairy?

Do you guys recommend any special traps? or is the standard weapon cage and upright spears to take care of the enemies?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The hallway of death
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:51:04 pm »

I always used two separate goblin grinders (one with steel axes, the other with silver warhammers) but it's practically a game exploit. They're still good if you're just wanting to hurt/possibly kill some siegers on their way through though. Also, there's the Rune Factory which can be used to scribe steel runes on armor and grant no fear to the dwarf wearing it. In fact I'm p. sure I read about this combo in the manual but don't quite recall where. As for special traps people seem to be rather enamored with minecart grinders. Try asking Nesis_ if he's around because he has a working one in his stream fort.

chronomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

The wiki says the range civilians may need before getting scared may be up to 10 tiles. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Ballista

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

All these things are unchanged from vanilla Df, so anything that works there, will work in the mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:11:20 am »

nope, it's about 20 tiles. if the enemy gets closer they flee.

20 is even mentioned in the wiki dude... no idea what you read

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 05:27:36 am »

So ill make sure the ballistas are 20 blocks away from the walkway, but is that still in range for the siege engines? or wont they do any dmg at that distance if they even manage to hit the targets?
I've never played with ballistas before, before masterwork always used militias to handle any problem.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »

Ballista are pretty damn powerful.  Should just about cut any enemy in half it hits, even at 20 blocks.  Just invest in some high quality ballista bolts for your main defense battery.  Remember too that a high trained siege operator will fire a ton faster than a new recruit.  So if you are early enough in the fort or want to it live a while get a few dwarves in the mechanics guild and have them start flinging stones in a catapult down a hallway.  I'm not sure if firing at nothing or if firing at an enemy gives more experience.  Either way you could try cage trapping a few enemies once in a while, pit them onto an isolated platform, and have those catapults fire at them constantly until they are finally squashed by the stone.

Does anyone know the attack distance of elite goblin archers?  If it's higher than 20 I'd suggest letting your siege operators be close enough to run away so you don't lose their training skills.  If it's less than 20(which I assume it is, 20 is pretty far) then just go crazy with ballista.  It would just suck to have a rusty iron arrow fly through your fortifications and plant itself in the forehead of your legendary siege operator.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »

And on that note i bring you this image of the dangers of mismanaged balista :P

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »

On the contrary that looks like perfectly managed ballista to me.  That cook should get back to the kitchen now and get working on fancy meals.

And on that note i bring you this image of the dangers of mismanaged balista :P

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »

lol well at least he wont be spreading any new dwarven children around any time soon :P